Do we spoil our kids - YES

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse)
67 GT S-Code 4sp
Picked this up for my son's first car last week. He is a good kid and does good in school and keeps his nose out of all of the bad things we are loosing some of the kids to now. The seller did not want to trade it in on his new car back in March for the low ball offer they made him. He tried eBay with no luck back then and that is when I first saw it. I emailed him a couple times after the sale ended to see if he sold it and what for. He emailed me at the end of April and said he would take a set price over the dealer offer. After seeing the car 2 weeks ago and in final negotiation on Monday I think I paid a very respectable price. He was pretty motivated with having 3 car notes for just him and his wife.

It is loaded to the 9's. Has the heated/cooled seats and heated/cooled cup holders (did not know those existed). Just under 60K miles 2013 Blacktop edition. Now, to keep it a secret until September??????

2.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

You better hide it WELL!

Tell him you have been offered $100 to polish and detail a car for a 'friend'.

Take him over there and clean and detail it to a high level and have him help you.

Then after you guys are done toss him the keys!

That would be sooo cool.

Ray

Long story short. I told him I wanted him to find the car he was interested in with a set budget. I thought we could use it as a learning lesson in negotiating. A couple of days after that he went to my wife and said he would rather be surprised like we did with my daughter. The day she passed her driving test my wife called as she was getting her license completed. I bought her a Jeep Liberty that we then pulled into the garage where my wife parks. When she came home and opened the garage door it was facing out at her. I have got some plans cooking on how to surprise my son. Obviously, it is not going to be that easy for him.....

Hallie bday.jpg

Dang. I remember getting my first real job at 13 washing dishes and bussing tables at a supper club so I would have enough money to buy a car when I turned 16. Was able to get a 1989 Dodge Ram Short box with a 390 and a 5 speed, 2wd Red with white on the bottom. It was completely dented up from a hail storm so I got it cheap and learned how to pop out dents myself. It was really hard on gas and tires. You've got some lucky kiddos. My girls are only 3 years and the other is 10 months so I have time. My 3 year old already told me she wants a mustang but is has to be pink with purple stripes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree that each of us have our story on how we had to save our pennies and work to get our first car. I guess that old story that we want our kids to have it better than we did still applies. I would also support that if we do not keep them grounded on good values and hard work in school and treating people with respect they can become over privileged little brats. I hope my wife and I have kept them grounded. I think we have, but society is a better judge of that. They both have GPAs above 4.0 with my daughter in college and my son in high school. Both do regular service with charities and food kitchens in their areas. Both do not drink, do drugs, or hang with the wrong crowd. Not trying to justify anything, just saying sometimes walking the right line as a kid today is tuff. If they can do that, rewarding them for that extra effort I think help keeps that in mind.

Wow, looks great! I'm sure that will be a big surprise!

Our four kids first cars were a little bit older, roughly 4 or 5 year old models. Oldest daughter got a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero, Oldest son got an 2001 Mustang Bullitt, youngest son got a blue 2004 Mustang Mach 1, and youngest daughter has her eye on my white 2004 Mach 1, but is driving an Acura CL now.

Wow are you the best dad or what? You must be very proud of your kids. My kids have hinted that I should buy them one but I have resisted so far... Its hard to say no to good kids. My dad didn't buy me a car but he did co-sign a loan for me to buy a 73 Grande when I was in college. Gotta give him props for that!

Scott

Can you adopt me :D

I think your son will love it.

Its true, we all busted out buts to get our first cars, then spend many hours fixing it.

I think we all want our kids to have reliable safe transportation, which is very important these days.

I already told my son who is 14 1/2 yrs old, he's not getting any of the Mustangs, he gets my wife's 2010 Prius, its cheap to run.

but we'll see in 2 yrs what happens :D

Adoption is not possible. How would I explain it to the neighbors????? The agreement is that my son will get the 72 Mach 1 when I leave this earth of ours. I hope it will never leave the family. I am going to have my ashes mixed into the paint and have the trunk repainted with them in it.

Adoption is not possible. How would I explain it to the neighbors????? The agreement is that my son will get the 72 Mach 1 when I leave this earth of ours. I hope it will never leave the family. I am going to have my ashes mixed into the paint and have the trunk repainted with them in it.
That's a cool idea about painting your trunk.

Hoping to keep my cars in the family too. The 2 grandsons will get the 73 Mach and 71 RR. I'll let the oldest have first pick when he graduates.

I would agree that each of us have our story on how we had to save our pennies and work to get our first car. I guess that old story that we want our kids to have it better than we did still applies. I would also support that if we do not keep them grounded on good values and hard work in school and treating people with respect they can become over privileged little brats. I hope my wife and I have kept them grounded. I think we have, but society is a better judge of that. They both have GPAs above 4.0 with my daughter in college and my son in high school. Both do regular service with charities and food kitchens in their areas. Both do not drink, do drugs, or hang with the wrong crowd. Not trying to justify anything, just saying sometimes walking the right line as a kid today is tuff. If they can do that, rewarding them for that extra effort I think help keeps that in mind.

bkdunha, I'll say it for you...Those children of yours deserve anything it's humanly possible for you to give them. I lived in Memphis years ago, and live close enough now to hear the nightly "Breaking news" reports about the homicides, shootouts, everyday violence, etc!

Considering what they have accomplished and what they are doing while living in a city where it's almost impossible to "Walk the line" IS a major accomplishment.

And, not hatin' on Memphis. Several in the family are from Tennessee, including my youngest brother who was born in Memphis. Just a tough place to raise children now.

Like the ideal about having the car painted with your ashes in the paint. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Back