How to keep rodents out of my Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 1
Need some help. Whats the best way to keep chipmunks out of my car and how the hell are they gettin in. Turds are bad but now there is a pee smell on my new carpet. Dont laugh but i really dont want to kill em cause they are a very friendly, fun part of our yard life. Thanks Michael

Need some help. Whats the best way to keep chipmunks out of my car and how the hell are they gettin in. Turds are bad but now there is a pee smell on my new carpet. Dont laugh but i really dont want to kill em cause they are a very friendly, fun part of our yard life. Thanks Michael
Any chance there is a hole in your heater box? I had mice get into the cowl through the little opening by the weep hole and entered the heater box. They chewed a big hole in it and entered through there. The best obvious solution is a garage or a cat...lol.

I know what you mean about the chipmunks. My kids would be upset if I pulled an Eastwood on them. They are cute but can do a lot of damage. Good luck!

Human hair - it's true. I had racoons in my chimney and heard about a town that was having problems with deer on their parks baseball field. They "sowed" the park with human hair from the local barber and the deer left the outfield. I gave it a try down my old chimney and the racoons moved.

Flatback wouldn't that be to drop them off by someones Chevy.:whistling:

Jim
NAH even rats have standards:D
Oh - ouch! LMAO!!

Good luck with the 'munks, Man. I like 'em too... but they've gone too far when they start messin' with (and in) the Mustang.

I had posted previous how I have added to prevent critters from getting in.

I took the cowl vent plastic grills off bought some 1/4" mesh wire cut pieces that would fit under the plastic grills. I sprayed them flat black and used small zip ties to attach to the under side of the cowl vent grills and reinstalled. You cannot see unless you are looking for them.

I also had the heater box out, no nests but leaves and such. So I added a piece of the mesh wire where the heater box meets the cowl inside the car.

There are also two drains one on either side of the cowl that drain the water out. If you want to stop all access you would need to pull the two fenders and add a piece of wire here. You will have to fold it up and put it inside the hole. Had a pic with the fender off you can see how easy to get in the drain. Leaves and trash get behind the front fender and you need to clean out every now and then to keep rust from getting started.

If your radio antenna wire grommet is out of the hole in the side kick panel it also leaves an access hole. You can see in the pic the grommet I was talking about for wire.

I do not know of any other entry points unless rust has opened up the car.

As far as the human hair goes never worked for me for deer they paid no attention to it.

David

DSC00116.JPG

DSC00121.JPG

A belated thanks for the replies. Somehow i missed em 4 years ago!
Last year I used dryer sheets and peppermint oil on cotton balls. The peppermint oil seems to work really well. I will be doing the same thing this year.
Plus 1 to the pepermint oil. You want pure extract... It lasts longer than oil. A few drops on a cotton ball inside foil... Poke with toothpick to make small holes.

Rodents hate pepermint.

But you'll need to refresh them every month or so.

If you're lazy, you can put the extract in a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol and spray the undercarriage.

I have used the cotton ball - peppermint - aluminum foil setup with great success.

I typically refresh with new every 6 months.

Ray

Back