Is it me, the radio, or the dash?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovies73

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 with absolutely no part left untouched or replaced
I bought Custom Autosound radio and it doesn't look like it fits. Doesn't look close. There are three additional trim pieces, none of which fill in the surround.

Have I got the wrong radio or the wrong plate? Plate appears original. Had the heater controls in there no problem.

image.jpg

Somethings not right. My plate did not have that large of an opening. The chrome is in the same place but it was not cut all the way up to it on the top.

The Plate you have appears to be for the AM/8 Track radio which had a larger opening. Ford called those plates a "Bezel-Radio Control" and there were two different ones used. The D1ZZ-18842-A (ID# D1ZA-18842-AC) is used for AM and AM/FM radios, and the D1ZZ-18842-B (ID#-D1ZA-18842-BC) is for the AM/8 Track which was a taller radio. All original Ford bezel/panels should have the Ford ID# on the back side, so you should be able to ID which one you have.

If you need one with the smaller hole let me know. I think I have another 1 or 2 up in the garage. Pay the shipping and you can have one.
Great information here. I have the same issue. I thought it was a matter of the new radios being smaller and so I glued a black strip to the new radio. If you have another bezel left, I would love to have it.

1971 M-code Mach 1

Last edited by a moderator:
If you need one with the smaller hole let me know. I think I have another 1 or 2 up in the garage. Pay the shipping and you can have one.
Great information here. I have the same issue. I thought it was a matter of the new radios being smaller and so I glued a black strip to the new radio. If you have another bezel left, I would love to have it.

1971 M-code Mach 1
I will look around and let you know. I gave some stuff away not long ago. But I did have 2 or 3 up there.

Mine came with a filler plate, I have the AM/8 Track bezel. I had the same issue but it had the proper one to This is the best pic I have, car is back in storage so not able to get a better one. Clicking on the pic should make it larger to view/ The filler plate has Mustang on it.

IMG_2695.JPG

IMG_2691.JPG

Mine came with a filler plate, I have the AM/8 Track bezel. I had the same issue but it had the proper one to This is the best pic I have, car is back in storage so not able to get a better one. Clicking on the pic should make it larger to view/ The filler plate has Mustang on it.
So that filler plate that says Mustang..... is that original? Or where are they found?

1971 M-code Mach 1

So that filler plate that says Mustang..... is that original? Or where are they found?

1971 M-code Mach 1
That filler plate came with the radio. It filled in the open space perfectly.

1971 M-code Mach 1
What radio was it? I really like how the plate looks.

1971 M-code Mach 1

1971 M-code Mach 1
What radio was it? I really like how the plate looks.

1971 M-code Mach 1
I'll have to did up the manual and update

I do have 2 of them. I dug them out last night. Unfortunately the one is all cut up. The other does have some pitting and would need painted. I forgot to get a pic of it. I will see if I can get one tonight.

I do have 2 of them. I dug them out last night. Unfortunately the one is all cut up. The other does have some pitting and would need painted. I forgot to get a pic of it. I will see if I can get one tonight.
Thanks for checking. Mine looks very good with the spacer i built so i can live with it.

1971 M-code Mach 1

image.jpgWell, I ordered the new plate. It came. But the tuning and volume holes are unequal lengths. The radio face barely gets flush with the faceplate and none of the filler plates seem to really fit. I got a rubber gasket, black plate with mustang on it and a chrome plate. They don't fit in the hole on the brand new plate. They are 'close' but would need to be filed down quite a bit.

If the pic shows up, you can see how the pockets aren't the same length and you can see the buttons through the gap.

Well, I ordered the new plate. It came. But the tuning and volume holes are unequal lengths. The radio face barely gets flush with the faceplate and none of the filler plates seem to really fit. I got a rubber gasket, black plate with mustang on it and a chrome plate. They don't fit in the hole on the brand new plate. They are 'close' but would need to be filed down quite a bit.

If the pic shows up, you can see how the pockets aren't the same length and you can see the buttons through the gap.
I had the Retrosound stereo, but had a similar issue with the unequal length of the shaft pockets. In my case I was able to rearrange the plates around to make it fit. Mine fit with no more of a few thousands to spare. You have to find a way to allow the right side shaft (based on picture) to come forward as much as possible. You may need to remove the nut or something. I see the nut is between the plate and radio on the right (picture orientation) shaft (passenger side) so try removing it. That will give you an extra 1/8". I am not familiar with your radio so I can provide very limited help.

Well, I ordered the new plate. It came. But the tuning and volume holes are unequal lengths. The radio face barely gets flush with the faceplate and none of the filler plates seem to really fit. I got a rubber gasket, black plate with mustang on it and a chrome plate. They don't fit in the hole on the brand new plate. They are 'close' but would need to be filed down quite a bit.

I had the Retrosound stereo, but had a similar issue with the unequal length of the shaft pockets. In my case I was able to rearrange the plates around to make it fit. Mine fit with no more of a few thousands to spare. You have to find a way to allow the right side shaft (based on picture) to come forward as much as possible. You may need to remove the nut or something. I see the nut is between the plate and radio on the right (picture orientation) shaft (passenger side) so try removing it. That will give you an extra 1/8". I am not familiar with your radio so I can provide very limited help.
I pulled off the nut. It is better. I'll also have to grind 1/8" or more off the top of the opening

Back