Ram air hole plugs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carguy4sp

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang
Anyone know of a detailed measurement of the ram air hood scoop plugs. I want to make my own since mine is missing from PO.

Thanks

Rodney from SW Florida[/size]

I believe Don at Ohio Mustang Supply has original tooling repros that are spot-on nice!

Just an idea but I'd go that route.

Ray

Click to view: 71-73 NASA HOOD SCOOP INSERT GRILLES, OE TOOLING Item #D1ZZ-16624

71-73 NASA HOOD SCOOP INSERT GRILLES, OE TOOLING

Pair of hood scoop block off grilles made on the original Ford tooling.

OL

Ram air cars had nothing in the hole

Non ram air cars had block of plates - solid no holes

The block offs you have with holes were drilled by someone - not a Ford part

In all of my parts buying over the years I have come by two sets of the plates with holes drilled in all of the honey comb pattern. One set is NOS I think and the other used. Is that what came in the Factory Ram Air cars or nothing at all?

David, both of my 71's were non Ram Air cars from the factory and had solid honey comb panels. I had received a notification from Ford of parts that were being discontinued, so of course I ordered all the "ZZ" Mustang parts I could make room for. The D1ZZ-16A224-A (R/H) and D1ZZ-16A225-A (L/H) were on that list and were solid. Sounds like someone drilled the holes out for some "Redneck" ram air!

I added Ram Air to my cars, but when sitting at an idle and "blip" the throttle, the flapper doors make an annoying "Clacking" noise. You just can't make some people happy!!! Lol :p

The pair Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs has with the holes may be the set that I drilled holes in back when I was in high school in the early 80s!

Could be.

The pair Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs has with the holes may be the set that I drilled holes in back when I was in high school in the early 80s!

Could be.
What is odd I think I have two pair that came from different places. I guess people thought it look good with the pieces but put holes in for air.

Could be.
What is odd I think I have two pair that came from different places. I guess people thought it look good with the pieces but put holes in for air.
Ok, I'm in the hole drilling club! My 72 Mach 1 did not have Ram Air so I drilled holes in mine but later just took them out. My 92 year old Dad came across them in his garage and recognized them as Mustang parts and gave them to me. It's probably the only thing left of the car after all these years.

That's pretty funny, some of the crazy things we did to our cars back then to make them just a little bit 'cooler' in our own eyes. ::thumb::

Rodney: you can always just leave 'em out, or grab a set from OMS.

That's pretty funny, some of the crazy things we did to our cars back then to make them just a little bit 'cooler' in our own eyes. ::thumb::

Rodney: you can always just leave 'em out, or grab a set from OMS.
That was a form of free Ram Air, and much cheaper than the factory set up. And the cool factor would fit right in with the N-50 tires and drop down shackles and air shocks! Lol I remember some of those cars jacked up so high it looked like they were going down hill sitting still.

The ram air hood was a sharp looking hood, and with or without the inserts it still had that "Look"! :)

Back