Parts not to buy

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love listening to Don Rush rant! He's so entertaining yet honest.

Great! I really like that guys videos a lot. It's not the first time I see him say we sell if you want it but it's not worth it or there's a cheaper way to do this.

I'm with Midlife, always find his videos worthwhile.

As I restored my 69 vert back in 2006-2010 I encountered several of the isses with items he displayed. I still have the reproduction arm rests sitting in a drawer which I did exactly one trial fit and tossed them across the garage. Unfortunately I could not return them since I had purchased them 2 years earlier in the project process and the 'warranty' period had expired. Lesson there was not to purchase too much in advance since any delay like body and paint shop issue may leave you unable to return.

I am on their mailing list and watched that when they sent it. At least he tells you it is crap before he charges too much for it, lol.

I think one of the big issues when they repo a part is that they just have the part and nothing to hold it into body position. a fender or quarter can be an inch or more out of position without something to set it in its nominal position. They would do much better if they scanned the parts on a car assembled with good gaps then work back to the flanges and holes. It won't ever happen they have their head in the sand and people keep buying the junk.

I have the same solenoid and it's stuck twice now.time to get rid of it. I bought the lock kit and the glove box lock fell apart in my hand . Really sad!

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the saying, "I had to laugh to keep from crying"! There is so much absolute %#!?"&$ junk out there, I really don't know how some of this stuff ever got licensed through Ford. The sample presented to Ford was probably an expensive one off piece that never made it into real production. The downside is that folks will see the Ford engineering number on these parts and look at them in the same light as if they came over the Dealers parts counter. I've actually had people come to the dealership and give us hell over some Chinese manufactured parts that were bought from who knows where because they had a Ford ID number on them. Their excuse is "Well it must be from Ford, its got a Ford number on it"!

Don Rush from WCCC is correct on the starter solenoids. The "C7AF" is concourse correct but is JUNK!! If you have a "Trailer Queen" that is pushed to it's location at a car show, then it's fine for that purpose. I've heard the same stories about the solenoid closing on it's own and over heated wiring! The one that closed on my 4sp 67 Mustang and drove it's self across the front lawn of the Headquarters building was an aftermarket unit that was on the car when I bought it. All my vehicles have the Ford solenoid, and I have NEVER had a problem with any of them!! The Ford unit is B6AZ11450-A (Motorcraft SW-3) or the replacement B6AZ-11450-B (Motorcraft SW-7763). I know a lot of our 71-73's are not daily drivers anymore, but the Ford part does carry a 2 year, unlimited parts warranty! If you don't want to go to a dealer, I believe some part houses such as O'Reilly Auto Parts carry Motorcraft.

And...one more rant of my own. The Fox Mustang parts are not any better. Body side moldings that are different sizes on each end, metal window moldings that seem to be made out of aluminum foil, etc! Different year Mustang, SAME JUNK!! I went through three sets of repo armrest pads on our 87 GT Vert trying to find some that would not curl up like a banana on the ends. In a fit of anger I cut all of them in half with a hack saw, threw them in a fire, sit down with a Jack and Coke and watched them burn!! Finally found a used set at a friend's salvage yard that he gave to me!! And no they didn't come from our Don (OMS). At the time I didn't know he handled Fox Mustang parts, so I had ordered them from a place that claims to have top line parts for Fox Mustangs!!

OK.....I'm done!! :D

You are all spot on.. Unfortunately, most of the repro parts do not meet oem quality for fit and function.. We may be stuck with only a few repro companies, but in my opinion and if at all possible, we have to return their junk and keep pressing for replacement parts that fit. I can't tell you how often I do this and get the same poor quality junk in return, but I get satisfaction that the manufacturer ends up eating the parts.. Overall, returns must be cutting into their profits and that's what I want to happen to force a change in their quality.

I was shopping at Harbor Freight for some cheap sandpaper and noticed two large containers out at the loading dock, filled with returned saws, welders, generators and tools. They just tossed all the returns into the containers and didn't pack them neatly at all.. China will be eating those items eventually.

Keep stuffing those junk parts down their throats and maybe the promise of OEM quality or "better" will become a reality. Better yet, manufacturing will return to the U.S. and quality will be on the rise again.. We can only hope.

Another don't buy item....I bought what is supposed to be a concourse part, a high pressure power steering hose for my 72 Q Code. Looks like a nice part, but the fitting that goes to the steering box barely threads in. That's not the bad part though, the bad part was when I was making a sharp right hand turn into a parking lot. Right as I was turning, the hose blew out of the compression fitting. I all of a sudden lost power steering and almost hit a car that was pulling out of the parking lot I was turning into. What a mess! I got tranny fluid all over the engine bay, took hours to clean up.

I got this part from NPD, it's part number 3A719-29. Don't buy this, it is cheaply made!

I'm just glad it wasn't worse, I could have easily gotten into an accident.

Years ago I spent a lot of money on convertible top weather stripping. I was very excited that I was going to get the car sealed up. The parts looked good but did not match the original. I never did get it to seal up right no matter how much I adjusted the windows. I even tried to trim the weather seal a bit and it only helped a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are all spot on.. Unfortunately, most of the repro parts do not meet oem quality for fit and function.. We may be stuck with only a few repro companies, but in my opinion and if at all possible, we have to return their junk and keep pressing for replacement parts that fit. I can't tell you how often I do this and get the same poor quality junk in return, but I get satisfaction that the manufacturer ends up eating the parts.. Overall, returns must be cutting into their profits and that's what I want to happen to force a change in their quality.

I was shopping at Harbor Freight for some cheap sandpaper and noticed two large containers out at the loading dock, filled with returned saws, welders, generators and tools. They just tossed all the returns into the containers and didn't pack them neatly at all.. China will be eating those items eventually.

Keep stuffing those junk parts down their throats and maybe the promise of OEM quality or "better" will become a reality. Better yet, manufacturing will return to the U.S. and quality will be on the rise again.. We can only hope.
As far as returning the Mustang parts to China, your satisfaction is misplaced.

Keep in mind- China has the factories, they make the product to a ordered specification.

The vendors like me, lose out we pay to ship the part in and ship the part back to the manufacturer. The manufacturers do not return the parts to China.

I am like Don the cougar guy, I'll tell you whats crap. I lose money on returns.

What about parts that are made here ... we have 3 USA made deluxe door panel manufacturers :whistling:

Beltline weather-strips are made here

Several of the weather-strips the Cougar guy said are bad are made here.

OEM quality repro parts lollerz Well there are a few mostly made on OE tooling though

Speaking about OE tooling / manufacturing in the USA

What about the 65-6 , 67 and 68 fenders hoods, valances that were being made on Wooster Ohio

Everybody bitched about the crappy repro fenders being ill fitting

Repro fenders 149.95

OE tooling fenders 499.95 ... they stopped making them

Back