Turn signal indicator and Fuel Gauge issue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpdj61

Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang mach 1
I think I know the answer to this based on searching through past threads but I just want to be sure before I go back into the dashboard.

I recently had the interior of the car apart and at this time, did work on the gauge pod. Since I put it all back together the turn signal indicators on the dash operate erratically. If I turn the left signal on the right indicator will come in with the left indicator. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Same for the right turn signal and indicator. The actual turn signals are working normally on the exterior of the car so this problem is in the dash.

Now while this is happening sometimes my fuel gauge needle shoots past Full. I currently have a half a tank of gas and while driving today the gauge read half full most of the time. While idling in a drive through it shot past Full and stayed that way until I got home and shut the car off. I then put the key into the ACC position to liven the gauge back up and it read half a tank as it should.

I am thinking that that floppy wiring at the back of the gauge where the main wiring connector clips in is where the short is located. I am guessing that the fuel gauge issue is a short and I am positive that the turn signal issue is a short. Am I headed in the right direction?

Thanks guys.

Scott

The fuel gauge issue is likely a short, and because it happened after you had the cluster out you're on the right track. The same goes for the signal indicators. Because both are intermittent it makes it harder to trouble shoot. I would start with the connector and thoroughly check the front and back of the printed circuit and traces. Make sure the bulb sockets are completely seated. I would also check to make sure there isn't anything touching the back of the cluster (when installed) or that there isn't anything pinching the wire harness.

I just finished up with the car. Don, you were right about the trouble being in the cluster. Maneuvering the wiring and the plug cleared up the fuel gauge and turn signal issue. Of course after I got everything back together I realized I had no fuel gauge lights. The car also wouldn't start now. I realized I forgot to plug the tach back in. Not sure why that happens but I have heard of this. So, back into the dash to plug in theta have and fix the lifts. All is well now. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Back