Radio antenna relocation?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red73mustang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertable
I've always hated the fixed type radio antennas on the front fender of any car. Has anyone tried those hidden under dash antennae or did Ford make any windshield mounted ones for the 71-73s?

Regards, Chet

Hi Chet,

To the best of my knowledge, windscreen antennas were not made for 123 Mustangs.

I'm running a small stick on antenna for my Alpine brand car radio which is for pulling in

a digital radio signal only. I have that stuck to the inside of my front screen, positioned

to one far side, in the passengers area. The conventional AM/FM

radio side of the head still uses a conventional antenna to pull in the radio station signals.

You can buy screw out mast antennas to replace the original ones, but i'm assuming you want the original one gone altogether, for a better deal.

You could consider buying an aftermarket power antenna to replace the original one. I know a lot of guys go that way to suit their needs.

Greg.:)

You could consider buying an aftermarket power antenna to replace the original one. I know a lot of guys go that way to suit their needs.

Yea, that is what I did. I used to have a head unit that only made the antenna go up when it was set to AM or FM. It stayed down for other functions. That was really cool. My new unit does not have that, so I wired in a little push button switch to serve the purpose. I rarely listen to radio stations, usually have the IPOD plugged in, and I hate seeing the antenna.

I did consider moving it to the rear fender, tilted backwards like I've seen some other cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chet, Ford only tried the windshield antenna on the T-Bird from the mid 70's to around 76. There were many complaints of poor or no reception, and high replacement costs on the windshield. So when the Gran Torino based T-Bird came out in 77 the body mounted manual and power antenna was back. Lincoln went through the same growing pains. There was a power antenna available on the Mustang, but it was a over the counter/dealer installed item.

Austin Vert mentioned the stick on antenna inside the windshield. Would that be an option?

I relocated mine........ to the trash can.

The hole has been welded shut and I put a Bosch windshield antenna in the car. I gotta admit that signal reception is very weak.

Unless you find a really good one for the windshield I wouldn't recommend that kind of solution.

I relocated mine........ to the trash can.

The hole has been welded shut and I put a Bosch windshield antenna in the car. I gotta admit that signal reception is very weak.

Unless you find a really good one for the windshield I wouldn't recommend that kind of solution.
Hi Mike,

And thanks for your input, because you got me thinking about what might be out there these days regards stick on windscreen antennas.So i googled that very thing and came up with a load of interesting products that might fit the bill.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=stick+on+windscreen+radio+antennas&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=0ApRV57dJLHM8gfSjqaQDg

Cheers mate,

I had my antenna hole filled in and went with a Retrosound HPA-1 hidden antenna (to go with the rest of my Retrosound Model 2 stereo system).

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_068HPA1/RetroSound-HPA-1-antenna.html

g068HPA1-F.jpg

It works like a champ! Probably as good or maybe a little better than the factory stereo in my 2012 Ram. I don't have a center channel speaker for the middle of the dashboard, so I zip-tied it to the underside of the factory speaker grille piece under the dash pad.

The reviews are hit and miss, but mostly good as far as I can see - most people complained about crappy AM station reception. For $25, I say it's a deal and who really cares about AM stations, anyway? ;)

You'll need a keyed power source for the signal amp - I just tapped the radio's main power circuit so it'll work when the radio works.

I love the cleaner lines of not having the antenna sticking up out of the car, as well as not having to worry about whether or not I'll get to hear the classic rock radio station in town. I'm not sure how the range compares with a standard antenna, but when I'm cruising out of town, I usually have something playing MP3s through the USB flash drive or iPod inputs anyway.

And No, I don't have any pics of it installed - it's hidden... that's the whole point. :whistling:

Hope this helps.

I am not listening to radio, I am listening to my 351C LOL!!!

The PO of my yellow vert had added the rear electric antenna dealer option to my 73 vert. Problem is that he took it out and glued a piece of metal of the hole in the rear, :mad: The regular front antenna was still there. Wish he had left the rear one they are rare.

Steve do you have the Ford part number for the rear electric antenna?

David, the antenna Ford used has a full size Ford part number. (C7AZ-18813-C) Back in the 60's and 70's the only production power antenna was on the T-Bird's. Everything else from the Galaxie to the Falcon had to make do with the over the counter C7AZ unit. There may be some NOS units floating around some where, but I would be afraid to see the price. Scott Drake has a listing for one, but who knows who true to the original it is. I've been through a lot of "Liquid Refreshments" while watching things burn in my "Disgusted with it" burn pile!! Lol

I am not listening to radio, I am listening to my 351C LOL!!!
I like too)) And a little off topic, the antenna is better to have outside the car, and not inside. https://mechanicguides.com/best-hidden-car-radio-antenna/ Internal antennas are screened by the car body.

Antenna amplifiers amplify not only the signal but also interference. I have a Boss, a round in the corner and two wires from him. Catching cool!

My antenna was relocated to the left rear fender!  It just clears the wing when the trunk is open.

"My antenna is my rear window defrost grid. Perfect reception. Old fender hole welded.

As my 71 has also the defrost option, it's gonna get the same treatment. "

I am going to have to try this!

Back