• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

351 4V heads

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spothead

Reaction score
My Car
73 mach 1 mustang. 351c 4v B+M c6
Just curious. I'm gonna be in search of some Aussie heads or aluminum heads for my 351C. I currently have a set of 4v open chamber heads with SS Manley valves w/ an over sized exhaust valve. Fresh valve job 10 yrs ago but only a 1000 miles on them. Hardened exhaust seats. So didn't know if anyone would be interested in them or if they stand a better chance sitting on the shelf

Well if you're heads are OK then I would not change them..? But if you want to go with the good Aussie heads then ok. Well I have the CHI 4V heads from Australia [TONGUE]😎[THUMBS UP SIGN] Which is a good product. But I do Like mine very much [WINKING FACE] Regards Lars

sent from my 2303. Regards Lars DK73 Denmark

The heads are fine. Im building the engine again. I'm not a fan of the huge ports and open chambers. I've put over a grand into the heads. Just want to recoop some of back. I didn't think they were s head someone wanted.

The heads are fine. Im building the engine again. I'm not a fan of the huge ports and open chambers. I've put over a grand into the heads. Just want to recoop some of back. I didn't think they were s head someone wanted.
This is Mike. I just joined today. I have been building Clevelands and other engines for about 46 years. You don't really have to change heads to make the engine perform well. The problem with the open chamber head is that it has very little compression with flat top pistons. Since you are rebuilding the engine anyway you can change that. You didn't say if you were going to add a Stroker crank or not so I will give you a couple of scenarios. Without knowing what car you are going to build and not really knowing what kind of power you want I will just do a generic build for about 400 to 450 horsepower. That isn't too hard to come by for a Cleveland prepped right. First you need at least 10.5 to 1 compression. If you use Open Chamber Heads with flat top pistons with about a 2 cc to 3 cc valve relief and stock rod length and stock stroke about a 4.030 bore the compression depending on deck height and gasket thickness will be about 9.5 or so. That is ok if you just want to drive it and there are cams that will help it have a decent street sound but don't try to run anyone with a well put together 302 or bigger engine. There just isn't enough compression to run a stronger cam so that leaves you seeing tail lights. Now lets say you put in the Dome Top Closed Chamber 12.5 to 1 Pistons. Using a 62 cc head it makes about 12.5 or 6 to 1. Again depending on Deck Height and Gasket thickness but if you put the Open Chamber Heads over those Dome Top 12.5 to 1 Pistons with 76 cc Chambers instead of the closed chamber 62 cc then the compression comes down to 10.5 or so to 1 which is ideal for making Horsepower. With the right cam and a Torker Intake or the Blue Thunder Intake and at least a 750 double pumper Headers, MSD, Full Roller Rockers, at least 3:25 gears for average playing and 3:70 for more fun you will be Amazed what the Cleveland will do, and by the way, with a heavy car like a 71 to 73 Mach 1 4:11s will move the weight better and if you go past 6,000 RPMs an 850 will add over 30 more horsepower. You can have a lot of fun and use the money for other heads to buy the cam and pistons and other parts needed to build your engine. Building a Stroker is another way to use your heads and flat top pistons and still get the compression and horsepower you want to play with. I have built two and am doing another right now, 427 Stroker 351 Clevelands. I am a Dealer for Air Flow Dynamics, (AFD), heads from Australia. So I used their 4VSP Street Heads and intake and with about 10.5 to 1 compression and a Crane Solid Roller Street Profile Cam, I am a Crane Dealer too, The Solid Roller Street Profile is a couple or three hundred dollars cheaper than a Hydraulic Roller when you purchase the good roller lifters that will allow you to rev above 5,000 RPMs. Anyway with these engines put together and having a March Serpentine Pulley set up on them I put a belt on the engine and turned the Alternator, the Water Pump, and the A/C Compressor on the Dyno and still made 565 HP at 6,200 RPM and made 540 ft lbs of torque at 4,400 RPM. Both engines were within 10 HP of each other and the only real difference was a slight difference in the cams, one was a Dart Aluminum 9.2 inch deck block the other was a Ford Racing 9.2 Iron block and one had a 750 carb the other an 850. I hope this helps. If you have any questions you can email me or call. 704-516-8033. Mike. PS Check out the engine in the attachment.

All Alum 427 Stroker 034.JPG

Thanks for the info Mike. Right now the engine is running and in the car. Right now it has a dual plane edelbrock intake a 750 vacuum secondary speed demon carb , the biggest crane power max cam that summit sold. I believe it's a 516 lift 292 duration....I don't remember I bought it over ten years ago. Also has the crane drop in rollers that replace the fulcrums. Rhodes anti pump up lifters.Headers, msd6al and pro billet distributor. B+M street strip c6 tranni with a tci converter. I need to get a different converter to match my cam. 2500-5500 rpm. I have 355's in rear but have 411's going in. I'd like to be around the 500 HP range. It's bored 30 over as well.

I have three sets of Cleveland Alum Heads. I have a set of A351 Ford Motorsport Heads they were raced about one or two races in an 1/8th mile drag race car and the guy switched to a 460 engine, I have a New set of C302B Ford Motorsport heads that have never had a valve in them. Some Gasket Matching was started and some polishing of the Combustion Chamber started. I also have a set of Australian AFD, Air Flow Dynamics Alum 4VSP Street 4 bbl Heads new in the box. Mike. 704-516-8033.

Thanks for the info Mike. Right now the engine is running and in the car. Right now it has a dual plane edelbrock intake a 750 vacuum secondary speed demon carb , the biggest crane power max cam that summit sold. I believe it's a 516 lift 292 duration....I don't remember I bought it over ten years ago. Also has the crane drop in rollers that replace the fulcrums. Rhodes anti pump up lifters.Headers, msd6al and pro billet distributor. B+M street strip c6 tranni with a tci converter. I need to get a different converter to match my cam. 2500-5500 rpm. I have 355's in rear but have 411's going in. I'd like to be around the 500 HP range. It's bored 30 over as well.
I posted a new note down below but also, I am a dealer for Crane and Erson and many others. 500 hp isn't too difficult to get but it is with what you are running now. The engine in the picture up above is 427 cubic inches with the AFD Heads and Intake and about 10.5 to 10.7 to 1 compression and the cam is a Crane Solid Roller Street Profile that is about .606 .626 with about 236 246 at .050 and on a 112. On the Dyno with a belt turning the Alt, Water Pump, and A/C Compressor it made 565 at 6,200 RPMs. If you are not going to do all that you will be off just a bit on power but there is a lot of power to be had with the right selection of parts. As I have said in my intro, I have been building these for about 46 years. I can help if you are interested and I have a deal with a Converter Company as well as other parts and have 4:11 Gears sets in stock. Just give me a call if I can help. Mike. 704-516-80363

Back