power steering bracket

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like the bracket they used when you had Air Conditioning. The one with just power steering is very ugly as in picture. The pics are of 73 vert without air that came with power steering. All of my cars are that way if you use the air conditioner style bracket note the spacer between brkt and head the fills in the gap left when the heavy cast iron air cond. bracket is not there.

Put in one pic of 73 vert with air and PS.

That looks like the bracket they used when you had Air Conditioning. The one with just power steering is very ugly as in picture. The pics are of 73 vert without air that came with power steering. All of my cars are that way if you use the air conditioner style bracket note the spacer between brkt and head the fills in the gap left when the heavy cast iron air cond. bracket is not there.

Put in one pic of 73 vert with air and PS.
David, that could well be. I added power steering to my car, buying a pump and s/box salvaged from a 71 Mach 1. No idea if it did or didn't have A/C. It actually does look a lot cleaner than the one you show and yes I did have to buy the spacer as can be seen. Other than that, no probs fitting it.

Geoff.

Never had a small block 71-73 with the the horizontal p/s bracket shown on David's engine, A/C or not, but I have seen the diagrams in the parts manuals. The 429 used a very similar plate with the three adjuster studs. All of the cars I've had the vertical plate like Stanglover. With A/C, the spacer "donut" behind the pump is not required, as the bracket sits in that location.

Another thing you might note is the types of coolers that are on the PS. The car in my pictures does not have a cooler of any kind and is a 73. It came with the narrow radiator and I am told that is the key to either having or not having the cooler. Narrow radiator cars no PS cooler wide radiator cars had them air or not. The radiator has been changed in this car but the bolts are actually broken off in the narrow location. I just thought it was odd to have a 351C with C-6 and no PS cooler.

There are also two different coolers one for AC cars and one for non AC cars.

You probably will never need a cooler unless you live in a place like I do with lots of curvy roads. We were out for a ride the other day in my gal friends Honda Hybrid and were coming from Franklin N.C. to Brevard, N.C. and a light came on on the dash. When we looked in the manual the electric power steering had overheated, lol. This road is a hoot to drive with one curve after another a favorite with bike riders.

Back