Please help ID my C6. I need a Neutral Safety Switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScooterDog

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q-code

Can anyone identify this C6 shifter linkage? Or the C6 itself? It's definitely not original to my '73. There's no neutral safety switch, and I want one! Will a regular 1973 NSS fit on this thing???

if you had an FMX converted to C6 then the neutral safety switch is located in the floor shifter. if it is hooked up then no need for a C6 switch on the trans body.

does the car start when the trans is in gear?

do you have reverse lights?

is the connector for the switch hooked up on the wire harness behind the motor?

if you had an FMX converted to C6 then the neutral safety switch is located in the floor shifter. if it is hooked up then no need for a C6 switch on the trans body.

does the car start when the trans is in gear?

do you have reverse lights?

is the connector for the switch hooked up on the wire harness behind the motor?
The car originally had a C6, but it was replaced with a newer? C6. The Neutral Safety has been bypassed. No reverse lights, nothing plugged into the harness behind the motor.

Hmmm... So, is it possible for me to leave the linkage as is and add a FMX neutral safety switch?

you could do that if you wanted, you would replace the floor shifter from a FMX with the switch all in one.

or you can just buy a C6 switch and install it,, you need to pop the nut for the kickdown rod linkage and then it bolts to 2 studs on the outside of the trans case. so it makes contact with the shifter linkage.

it should work around the linkage you have even if not correct for a mustang.

actually looking at the photo you have i don't see a proper kickdown linkage either. but the studs are there for the switch.

a FMX setup would make things easier but would be more expensive.

you could do that if you wanted, you would replace the floor shifter from a FMX with the switch all in one.

or you can just buy a C6 switch and install it,, you need to pop the nut for the kickdown rod linkage and then it bolts to 2 studs on the outside of the trans case. so it makes contact with the shifter linkage.

it should work around the linkage you have even if not correct for a mustang.

actually looking at the photo you have i don't see a proper kickdown linkage either. but the studs are there for the switch.

a FMX setup would make things easier but would be more expensive.
You're right - no kickdown is present.

Are you saying that the kickdown lever will come off the shaft, and a C6 NSS will bolt over the existing shifter lever? That doesn't sound too bad at all! All this time, I thought the entire linkage would need to be removed (i.e. drop the tranny) in order to do this.

Bah! I bought a new NSS but it doesn't fit. The shifter shaft doesn't have the 2 notches to index the NSS. There's no way I'm going to drop the tranny in order to swap shifter linkages - at least not this year - so no backup lights for me.

Now Id like to figure out how the PO bypassed the neutral safety switch. There's no jumper on the harness/plug on the back,of the motor....?

Looking at the casting number, it's probably from a '76 or later. You might try something from a few years newer.
You're right, I decoded the casting numbers to tell me it's a 1977 (or a bit later) C6 from a van. I've been told that these trannys are a bit stronger than the original would have been.

The problem is, any neutral safety switch that mounts over the shifter linkage must have some kind of notch to index the switch. Mine, unfortunately, has no notches at all.

ScooterDog, I have a similair problem as you, but according to input from forum members I don't think you need to drop the entire tranny to replace the shifter lever. I have not had the possibility to this yet, but I will have a go later this summer when I get access to a real garage. Please see this thread for more info. http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-replace-correct-c6-shift-lever

ScooterDog, I have a similair problem as you, but according to input from forum members I don't think you need to drop the entire tranny to replace the shifter lever. I have not had the possibility to this yet, but I will have a go later this summer when I get access to a real garage. Please see this thread for more info. http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-replace-correct-c6-shift-lever
Great stuff, thanks! I wonder if the floor shifter from my C6 is the same as one from an FMX? If so, perhaps I can add an FMX neutral safety switch to it...

I have an FMX floor shifter that was taken out of my car. If you need some pics of any part of it or wiring let me know. I can prob snag some pics tonight.

I have an FMX floor shifter that was taken out of my car. If you need some pics of any part of it or wiring let me know. I can prob snag some pics tonight.
Thanks Jason! Yes! I would love to see the internals.

Cool. I will get some pics tonight. I have it sitting out on the bench still. I have written down the wire colors and what they go to as well so I will post those with the photos.

Here are some pics.

Back up lights - white with purple and black with purple wire to new back up light switch

Neutral safety switch - the two red with blue.

Seatbelt warning switch - green and purple with white stripes. Not sure what to do with these.

Brown - hot lead for auto shift indicator light.

image.jpeg

Back