What Version 429 Is This?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Ok looking for some knowledge from you 429 guys. This car is local and I have sent the owner a text but no answer back yet.

Can any of you that know these cars & engines tell me what version 429 this is from the only 2 pictures I have? I do see that the fan shroud does not look right. Could it be just a Thunderjet out of a T-bird or similar. I am for sure not up on 429 identification.

Would the ram air be right? Wrong lid looks like?

I will let you know what the owner says & thanks for any help.

I don't need another car but if it is right might buy it.

429_Version.jpg

429_Version_decal.jpg

David, if those are the valve covers that came on that engine and it is "Unmolested" it could possibly be a "N" Thunderjet 429. The D1AE label would indicate 71 which could of been in a LTD, Torino, or T-Bird. Some of the 429's from that era had a paper tag and a metal tag with the engine ID code. If it is a "N" code, that is not bad as those were some torque monsters. Can't tell a lot about the fan shroud from the picture, but it does look incorrect. The price of the OE and repo 429 fan shrouds scare a lot of people. The lid on the air cleaner is defiantly wrong, but at least the base looks ok. If the owner responds with more info let us know, I have some of the engine tag codes and may be able to tell if it is a N, C, J, etc 429. :)

The casting numbers off the heads while not definitive, will help identify it.
The casting numbers are along the outside edge of valve cover just above the 2nd exhaust port from the end. I think the one on the passenger side is easiest to see. D0VE would be correct for a 71 thunderjet. D0OE-R is what you want to see :)

Back