Distributor Help!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlogan

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Convertible 302
I recently began having issues with my original 2 barrel carb on my 71 mustang vert. Decided with the issues, it was a good time to justify switching to a 4 bbl system. I am leaning towards a Holley 600 cfm with electric choke and a weiand stealth 8020. However, with all this work, I thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and upgrade my points system to an electronic ignition.

Ive spent a lot of time researching and seems like you can put a duraspark on the early 302's. Anyone know what I would need for the 71? Or if there is a better option? The objective for my vert is to be just a nice day cruiser, no strip.

Thanks in advance!

Duraspark ignition is easy and simple to install. You can pick up the parts at almost any autoparts store locally. Just search a mid seventies to early 80's v-8 passenger/truck/bronco. And get the distributor and ignition module for one. Around $100 you can be upgraded to electronic ignition. Heres quick link to one at Autozone....

dizzy http://www.autozone.com/external-engine/distributor/duralast-gold-new-distributor/ford/bronco/1980/8-cylinders-f-5-0l-2bl/194020_461269_4618/?checkfit=true

module http://www.autozone.com/ignition-tune-up-and-routine-maintenance/ignition-control-module/duralast-ignition-control-module/ford/bronco/1980/8-cylinders-f-5-0l-2bl/118422_627227_0_2425/?checkfit=true

Yeah, grab your distributor shaft and try to wiggle it to see if the bushings are very loose . If it is fairly tight and your engine has a mild cam, a Pertronix I or II is what i would use . You also wont have an extra big ugly box in your engine compartment . I would also consider installing an MSD epoxy filled coil.

Set your timing curve so it is optimal fr your engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Won't I have to do them at the same time though since I have a factory 2 bbl in there now?

As long as your engine is running as well as it can (as in, tuned-up fairly well), will e is suggesting you should do one or the other, but not both at the same time... for the sake of finding the sweet spot easily in adjusting one major component, rather than searching while adjusting both (it's easier to miss the sweet spot that way because you now have 2 moving targets, rather than just one).

Of course, I started from scratch with mine and pretty much had no choice. In a case like that, you're "doing both" since everything's new to the engine. Mine runs really well so far, but I don't think I've found the optimal performance configuration yet, since I haven't actually driven it at speeds above 30-35-ish mph outside of the neighborhood.

Bottom line: if you're comfortable swapping everything at once, go for it and be prepared to spend a lot of time finding the optimal performance configuration. If you're less comfortable, then do them one major component at a time to simplify things.

I love my recurved duraspark setup, I am using a TFI epoxy filled ignition coil with it and it is bullet proof. It never misses a beat and starts instantly all the time every time. I wouldn't change one thing about it.I really like the cranking timing retard feature the duraspark box offers, it allows you to run more initial timing without dragging the starter.

Thanks Eric for clearing that up. I misread will e initial response, I read it as don't do the carb and intake at the same time. I re-read and see that you said distributor and carb. I wont do them both at the same time for reasons you mentioned. I will be doing carb/intake first, then drive it for a few weeks to find the tune then change distributor after that. Still debating between the pertronix and the duraspark. Seems like it very mixed.

Thank you all for the help so far!

I am using the Duraspark, runs great and you have parts availability at local auto part stores.

I am using the Duraspark, runs great and you have parts availability at local auto parts stores.
Best ever reason. I use D-spark dizzys with an MSD box. Proven combo that hasn't let me down yet. You would need a dizzy from a 70's car or truck. Don't get into the 80s as you might run into weird applications. Something like a 78 F150 or LTD would do the trick.

Have not had good luck with Pertronix over several tries, so I can't recommend them. Most owners will recommend you keep your original points in the glovebox if that tells you anything.....

A lot of very useful stuff here and goes hand in hand with my earlier post "Which aftermarket distributor to buy"

Putting the two together has been a good help for me to make the decision. Unfortunately, may be later rather than sooner.

The original distributors were a piece of junk and the remans. are no better............. from my experience!!

The downside of the DuraSpark is the extra wiring and box that need to be hidden away. Oh well, had to do worse things!

Geoff.

Back