Sick of manual drums

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sequel88

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Coupe
-250ci Inline six
-Modded Log Head
-Autolite 2bbl Carb
-Pertronix Ignition
-Super Stock 7mm Plug Wires
-Dual 14" Magnaflow Glass packs
*Currently awaiting a T5 swap!
I've been on a quest to make my Coupe more street-friendly. With the way some people drive, I've had several close calls where I had to lock up the manual drums. It's time for an upgrade before I wind up being forced into bodywork again!

This kit looks like a pretty decent deal. Anyone have any experience with it?

http://gpsbrakes.com/i-23438943-power-disc-brake-conversion-1971-73-mustang-4piston.html

Any other suggestions would be welcome as well! I am on a budget, so I'm trying to find the biggest bang for the buck. Thanks!

If you wait you can often find complete factory disk setups for cheap. I just got a factory disk coupe that I'm parting out. If you post a WTB advertisement here you will get some replies.

On the other hand, if you went used, and bought new disks pads, and had the booster, calipers and master cylinder rebuilt you would be up in the $450 range, not counting what you paid for used parts. That kit seems like a pretty fair deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently purchased one of their OE replacement power disc brake boosters, and everything was great. The booster was a perfect replacement for the original one from my car, and dealing with them and their website was quick and painless.

If you have the stock 14" wheels, you'll [most likely] need to upgrade to 15" rims & tires (or at least aftermarket 14" rims). My car had some 14" chrome modular rims with the factory power disc brakes - they cleared just fine. I put a set of stamped steel stock 14" rims on and they wouldn't clear the factory power disc brakes.

They mentioned that notation on their site. Other than that, I think the kit's probably a winner. Good luck! ::thumb::

Looks like a pretty nice kit. I did the same thing and swapped from drum and got all my parts off a donor 72 vert. I also went with disc in the back and love it. Car stops so much better now!! I still have manual brakes but it still stops great!

you might need to change manual brake pedal to work with power booster. They mount different under the dash. Manual pedal has different leverage point than the power pedal

you might need to change manual brake pedal to work with power booster. They mount different under the dash. Manual pedal has different leverage point than the power pedal
They include an adjustable pushrod in the kit which I think fixes that, maybe?

I can recommend GPS since I've met the owners and guys who run the business. They're located here in Buffalo, so I've stopped in on occasion with brake issues and they have always been pleasant to deal with and helpful. I would call them and ask about the pedal. That's a decent price for converting front manual drums to power discs.

This looks like a really good kit, I'm in the Market to do the same conversion.

I keep debating stay manual just upgrade to front disc, or upgrade to power, I sent them the question about the brake peddle, when I get a replay I will post it up.

OK, I received a Message from Gregg in there Sales/Tech Department.

You reuse the Manual Drum Peddle, they have directions on how to Modify the Manual Brake Peddle to use with Power brakes.

this whole kit looks very user friendly, I think it made its way onto my list.

OK, I received a Message from Gregg in there Sales/Tech Department.

You reuse the Manual Drum Peddle, they have directions on how to Modify the Manual Brake Peddle to use with Power brakes.

this whole kit looks very user friendly, I think it made its way onto my list.
You'll need to add a new pin 2" lower. This means you'll need someone who can drill the hole and weld in the pin if you don't have that availability. You can buy a pin from Mustang Steve's website if GPS doesn't supply one, or if you have access to a lathe, make one from MS. I didn't look at the GPS mod for this, but I would think it's the same thing.

This question comes up all the time and NO you can't just use an adjustable push rod. Wrong angle, wrong ratio.

Those prices do look very good though, looks like a very good deal. However from experience switching to power disc from drums, what they claim is easy ain't necessarily so!! It might be easier in the long run to take the steering column out as well as the seat..... unless you have a trained monkey! Its' NOT a hard job with a standard column.

The pin is included in the kit (Pin, sleeve, cotter-pin, lock nut)

they say drill a 1/2" hole 2" below the original pin, and the pin is held in with a lock nut, no welding it, this will give it the proper angle and ratio.

in my case, I already have a disc brake pedal and bracket I bought a while back, so I will save all of the original parts in the box will all of the other parts.

The pin is included in the kit (Pin, sleeve, cotter-pin, lock nut)

they say drill a 1/2" hole 2" below the original pin, and the pin is held in with a lock nut, no welding it, this will give it the proper angle and ratio.

in my case, I already have a disc brake pedal and bracket I bought a while back, so I will save all of the original parts in the box will all of the other parts.
That's good info to know. Like I said, I had not checked the GPS info on that. A lock nut does simplify things as we all don't have access to welding.

I too had a 4 speed pedal set in my hand, but passed on it. Wish I'd bought it now so I could have saved all my original stuff unchanged. Won't make that mistake again.

Back