73 Mustang Weight

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

14jaskew

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang
302ci V8
I just wanted to add to the collection of weights for our cars since the numbers seem to vary quite a bit. I weighed in 3440lbs. My car is a 73 grande with an all iron 302, aod swap, power steering, full interior, and no air conditioning. Weighed with all fluids including fuel, but no driver. Also, the car has 30-50 lbs of stereo components in it.

Hope this helps someone out

My brother was able to pull his 71 351C, C6 mach on the scales at a friends salvage yard.... for the fun of it. Still has the ticket they gave him. I'm pretty sure it was 3,300 and some odd change. The 73 is going to be 100 ish more because of the bumpers/brackets but

they don't weight as much as many people think.... But that's another thread!

Was just having a discussion about the weight the other day. I have several verts and the door stickers are over 4,400 lbs. on all of them. The front and rear weight on the sticker never comes to the total due to a computer throwing together all the entered weights for options.

My car was sitting there next to a really nice 67 Camaro RS/SS 396, 375 HP with 5,200 original miles at the shop. The Camaro averages 500 - 600 lbs. lighter than the mustang. Good reason they were faster a lot of the times. That is a lot of difference. If you have every looked at the guts of a Camaro you will know why they are so much lighter. GM put the bare minimum into their cars. Heck the door hinges on the Nova's were welded on no bolts or adjustment.

He had just brought another 396 SS/RS in to install a new trunk pan. It is a monster with 610 rear wheel horsepower on dyno. Has a corvette blower on a late model engine, 10 sec. car street driven.

So don't think you can take one of these heavy 71-73 cars build the engine and go jump on the Chevy boys you would need to really cut up the car to lighten and have a really strong engine unless you can make them carry the extra weight to make it equal. That is why the Fox bodies are so popular much lighter. A coupe will be less than 3,200 and even a Cobra will be 3,250-3,550. By comparison a 1950 Ford Tudor Sedan V-8 is only a little over 3,000 down for a business coupe. Weight is one of the easiest ways to beat the competition.

Years ago they use to weigh the cars coming into the track and not after the race. Guys would fill the tires with water and go through the weigh in then change to regular tires and drop a bunch of weight, lol.

Was just having a discussion about the weight the other day. I have several verts and the door stickers are over 4,400 lbs. on all of them. The front and rear weight on the sticker never comes to the total due to a computer throwing together all the entered weights for options.
From memory, that @ 4400 lb number is the GVWR; gross vehicle weight rating, with four passengers, luggage and fuel. Not something most people would do everyday.

My old 71 sportsroof was a 4v/4spd car with a folddown and it weighed 3560. You can add a little for a convertible due to the top and thicker metal, but I doubt a smallblock car would tip the scales much over 3600.

BTW, good thread on the same subject.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-how-much-does-your-car-weigh

Fox bodies were so popular due to them being several G's cheaper than a comparable GM F-body and much easier to work on and modify. The streets around here were easily 10:1 of Mustang vs F-body.

From memory, that @ 4400 lb number is the GVWR; gross vehicle weight rating, with four passengers, luggage and fuel. Not something most people would do everyday.

I usually had a couple buddies with me and a cooler full of " ice water " when we were running around town.

I did remove the A/C compressor and those useless seat belts to reduce the weight. Hey it was the 70's and I was 17 :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back