Auction @ Automotive service center

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Ok today I broke down and went to an auction. It was for the closing of a very old automotive service center and gas station that had been in operation for 88 years. It had 5 service bays for any automotive needs from simple oil change, tires, front end alignment or rebuilds. It was sold to the bare walls and floors.

I was amazed at how cheap everything went with a bunch of car guys there. Would you believe a Hunter front end alignment rack with all the tools and lasers went for $380.00, yes three hundred eighty. It had two lift cylinders that would raise the whole car then 4 separate hydraulic jacks for under the car. I had looked at the list of things before leaving and one that I have always wanted is a brake lathe and they had of course a Ammco brand with all the cones and adapters for both rotors and drums. I had searched the internet and depending on the model / tooling they were from $1,300 - $2500 so I set my budget for the trip at $800 to try to win the lathe. Well to my great surprise there was not much interest. Everything was still hooked up and could test run. I got the thing for $300.

Since I am about to get the garage up I also got the following.

Air conditioner leak detectors, sniffers, vacuum pump and system checker $40.00

Got the oldest piece of equipment there an old Varsol hand pump with tank about 32" cube had been there the full 88 years for $75.00.

A double gas pump and a single $125.00 for both.

Extra insides for pump $2.00

A 1940's ESSO grease supply hanging from ceiling. Very art deco looking Has two retractable fed grease guns for $75.00.

Tire stud insert gun and studs, $5.00.

Wire terminal repair connectors with tools both round and flat, $$7.00

Three gas pump signs, $5.00

4 cast iron jack stands, $20.00

Water cooler and lifetime supply of cups, $5.00

25 ton hydraulic press with bearing clamps, $70.00

Roll around rack steel work bench 8' long $10.00

Case of paper floor mats, $1.00

There was a rack of carburetors but I did not want to fool with all of them so when one guy got them all for $30.00 I went and bought two of the Autolite spread bore for $20.00 from him.

I spent a little over $850 for everything I got will have to go back next week with trailer to get stuff.

There was a wall of Monroe shocks and struts all new in the box went for $90.00 hundreds of them with the cross reference. Almost new Hunter tire changers and balance machines went for $3,500 for both. The old style changers for steel wheels for $250.

In floor lifts went for less than $100 and scissor lift for $25.00.

New SnapOn engine computer for $300. One of the guys by me said he had the same one and he paid $5,000 for his. There were several so no bidding wars. A North Carolina inspection station with computer and all the hook ups to read any car was $145. The main air compressor had to be 120 gallon tank two stage never looked at output but way larger than mine went for $800 and was said to have cost over $2,000 last year.

There were some of the neat old filling station signs and porcelain lights that two women bid up too high in my opinion. Dorman racks of new bolts, nuts etc. would go for $50.00 with the rack.

So if you see an auction coming up in your area go there were so many great deals you could have opened a full service shop for a few thousand dollars.

So now I have about everything I was wanting to go in my new garage and now I can do a few easy brake jobs to keep the lights burning.

I go to pick up my new 10,000 lb. 2 post lift probably on Monday or Tuesday. Hope to get the foundation and slab poured next week the building ships first week July. Time flies when you are having fun.

Your doing better David. You made some great power buys on equipment and "Stuff" you'll need for your Garage/Man Cave! And....while not under the control of any medications.

I do feel like Greg does. It's a little sad to see these small shops that did quality work and had been in business for decades close down. But at least the equipment you bought will be put to good use and not end up the junk yard or landfill!

Great Find!! ::thumb::

I got cherry picker loaded and will go see if I can get everything tomorrow. It is hitting the 90's here and humidity you can swim in. Tough on an old guy.

Here are a couple pics. I think the brake machine has everything with it even the manuals with all the max. / min. dimensions. I could not believe the Hunter alignment rack with everything went for $380. The buyer might just be going to sell for scrap never know.

I am sure some day there will be an auction here and people will be going crazy over stuff I have and paying very little for it but time goes on and you for sure cannot take it with you.

Cool. The insides of that place looks like an old lake cabin - once all the auto stuff is removed.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Ray

Cool. The insides of that place looks like an old lake cabin - once all the auto stuff is removed.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Ray
The first part of it was built in 1928 the typical old grease pit with one of the single cylinder air over oil lifts. The area where the alignment frame and brake lathe was they use to wash and wax cars, walk in basement. There was an old hand operated wringer on the wall they ran their towels through to ring them out. There were a few NOS Esso and Phillips 66 signs the two women bid out of sight. They had been watching too many pickers shows. I think there were four waste oil burners in the place besides gas heaters. This place is in the mountains of western N.C. near the Cherokee Indian reservation. Quiet little town turning into an artsy area, lol.

Back