1971 Battery tray bolt nuts? Are they welded in or what?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toaster4253

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Machone 351 c 4v concours, Been on/off resto since 1998 ,motor currently ready to be oil primed and test start , most of metal work done with original panels from new mexico. Need a battery bolt securing question answered
1971 Machone fastback

Im trying to find out how the bolts secure to the fender apron for the battery tray bolts, I know the top secures with a press in nut on apron and the support bolt on bottom to the clip, but how do the bolts that go through the tray (under the battery) secure to the fender apron. I had no apron left on my car when i bought it and the NOS replacement I have and already welded in does have nuts in the area. Im going concours and this is one thing I cant find info on. Any help is appreciated

Peter

it does help,,,,guess ill be doing some metal work,lol

does anyone know if this support it sold as a reproduction?

Hopefully this will help

toaster4253,

Here is the Ford Master Parts Catalog information-

n1v22u.jpg

femdsx.jpg

Source: Ford Motor Master Parts -May 1975

mustang7173 :thankyouyellow:

they do not make that re-enforcement plate for the battery tray.

the plate has the nuts spot welded to the plate and that is welded to the battery apron sheet metal.

the reproduction piece is also missing the top nut for the battery holder.

if you want to fudge it just assemble it with lock nuts from the bottom.

With people like Don (OMS) working with venders such as Dynacorn, hopefully we'll see parts like the reinforcement under the battery tray one day. I would check with Don or West Coast Cougars to see if they might have one off a donor car. Trying to do a Concours restoration with OE and reproduction parts nonexistent in some areas can be really discouraging at times. With the excellent photo posted by bkdunha you can at least see what was there and what you need to find. Good luck!

I replaced my battery tray, and I want to say I was able to harvest that bracket, restore, and reuse it.

I want to say I remember there being some kind of an angled brace that helps support the battery tray as well, and I thought it went underneath in this location along with that 'L' bracket. I was unable to locate one for mine, though, as I believe they are not reproduced (of course).

It's been a few years since I replaced that small part of everything that was wrong with mine, though. :whistling: :p

Here is a contact I have who has made tooling to reproduce the battery support bracket. He makes them individually not in mass production. I just spoke with him over the phone and he said he makes them 1 at a time and it takes a couple of days. I have not ordered one from him, but here are some pictures to make a judgment yourself.

battery support1.jpg

battery support2.jpg

I have small fab shop made some forming tools to reproduced this battery tray support bracket... there is no one else know to me that makes a bracket that is close to correct. there is considerable amount of time to make them correct with the correct nuts , flange and support impressions, there 125.00 each,,,

Bob Wilson, 1 651 485 9832

Those are nice! I'm still gathering parts for Money Pitt #2's resurrection. I know that's something Ill need for sure because the battery tray and front fender apron are almost non-existent.

bkdunha, I sure want to say Thank You for your part you had in helping to get something like this piece out to us "Needy" people! Well done! ::thumb::

Glad to help out the group anytime I can. I am fortunate to come across some great folks with great skills from time to time. He said he also reproduces the shock tower supports from the cowl to the upper shock tower.

they do not make that re-enforcement plate for the battery tray.

the plate has the nuts spot welded to the plate and that is welded to the battery apron sheet metal.

the reproduction piece is also missing the top nut for the battery holder.

if you want to fudge it just assemble it with lock nuts from the bottom.
I beg to differ...saw that reinforcement plate (reproduction) on the bay for 30 bucks a while ago and I should've bought it, oh well

Back