Removed Gas Tank & Don't Know What These Brackets Are

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4mm

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang 351C 4V Fastback
Hello all,

I removed the gas tank and found two brackets above the gas tank attached to the underside of the trunk floor. Seems like they are missing rubber bumpers or something. One is located on the drivers side and the other on the passenger side above the center area of the gas tank.

Does anybody know what they are called and if I am missing any rubber bumpers? Below is a picture attached. Thanks.

image.jpeg

There is one bracket on each side of the gas tank. They keep the tank centered on the trunk floor and brace it so it won't slide side to side..They're important to the mounting of the tank..

Ok. Thx. So the the gas tank should also have brackets to slip into the underfloor brackets? Or do the underfloor brackets press against the groove of the gas tank once the tank is tightened up?

It looks like the underfloor brackets have an opening for some type of rubber bumpers.

Last edited by a moderator:
No rubber bumpers. The brackets hang down along side the tank. The holes are for drainage to the brackets will not rust thru. When you install the old or new tank, you will see that these brackets align with the sides of the tank.

4mm,

When I had to pull my gas tank again, I painted with Eastwood's Tank Tone Metallic Coating Aerosol 13 oz Item #10030Z to prevent rust-

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-tank-tone-metallic-coating-aerosol-13-oz.html

Once dried, I installed the 3M 08840 500 mm x 500 mm Sound Deadening Pad on the top.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Automotive/Aftermarket/Products/~/3M-Sound-Deadening-Pads-08840-500-mm-x-500-mm-10-per-case?N=4294937035&rt=d

r34g.jpg

vfjg5d.jpg

Source: Ford Motor Company Master Parts Cat. May 1975

mustang7173 :bravo:

Thanks for the tip and clarification guys. ::thumb::

Back