Hood graphic measurement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carguy4sp

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang
I have found one hood that has some measurement scribble but to me it is not readable or understandable. Anyone have NASA hood paint layout dem ?

I want to get my hood vinyl wrapped instead of paint.

Thanks

Rodney from SW Florida

I have found one hood that has some measurement scribble but to me it is not readable or understandable. Anyone have NASA hood paint layout dem ?

Thanks

Rodney from SW Florida
I have an original car with factory black out paint. I could take and put a piece of craft paper on the hood and do a pencil rub of the black out shape. It will probably be two pieces one up each side or really just the front part is all you need and the placement in the rear. PM me your address and I will mail to you.

Will be interesting to see if the wrap stretches and gets the lines off when going around the scoops.

I have been wanting to get a wrap or decal for the flat hood like the sprints but in black for my yellow vert.

100_2218.JPG

I've seen the stencil that you can buy from mustang vendors. Maybe you could use that? I was considering doing the same thing. Having a graphic shop do vinyl wrap from the same 3m black vinyl used for the side stripes. I was also planning on having them wrap my front and rear valances so they'll match too. Let us know how you make out with the wrap.

Most stencils that are being sold seem to be wrong so be careful with those.

There are some threads on this forum that deal with that subject and I remember that the exact measurements are in one of them.

Can't find the original post, but we had a member who was a 71 "J" code ram air original owner. He told us that Phoenix Decals measured the blackout on his hood and used those measurements to manufacture the template they sell so someone would finally be able to offer one that was correct. My cars don't have blackout hoods so I can't verify the accuracy of the template. Someone that remembers Kit may be able to do so.

If all else fails you could contact our always reliable Don (OMS) as I was told he also has the correct dimensions.

Hope this has helped some and not added to the confusion. :D

rvtrash - That pic is not correct. It is from a MM article that many have said is incorrect.

Carguy4sp If you are trying to go original - your 72 CJ conv would not be correct with this hood paint treatment. If you are going for a more modded look, then it only matters that you like it. If so the pic rvtrash posted might be close enough?

Like others have mentioned, there are a few old threads that heavily discuss this topic.

Ray

Thanks for the info Ray. I couldn't remember where I got it from. Out of curiosity, I have a template from the same source for a Boss 351 hood. Is it also incorrect? If so, I'll delete both off my computer.

Steve

Thanks for the info Ray. I couldn't remember where I got it from. Out of curiosity, I have a template from the same source for a Boss 351 hood. Is it also incorrect? If so, I'll delete both off my computer.

Steve
I am pretty confident on the Boss 351 part. As you know it is not near as 'tricky'.

When I have some time, I'll try and come up with a correct template info sheet. I just have to wade through a lot of previous discussions. :)

Ray

Thanks

Rodney from SW Florida
The picture you are referring to was more then likely my Pastel Blue hood, shown on its side with "scribble"... Meant only to be understandable to me. I chose to replicate my hood blackout via the scribble, in fact, the final product on my restored hood is actually 3/8" off centre as was originally applied by the factory technician back in the day. I used the scribble measurements off my factory original blackout still on my hood, to tape off the final design. Thanks

Last edited:
Ray,

I sent Carguy a template. I took craft paper and put on the hood of my original car. I then took lead pencil and did a rub over the stripe. He is going to try to get a wrap made for the hood instead of paint. I don't know how they can get the narrow stripe to stay in position with a wrap but he will report what happens.

I am sure that every car will be a little different since they just threw down a template and sprayed the cars. It was for sure tape and not a vacuum mask since I can see where they wrapped it around the rear of the hood. Like Pastel my hood is out of center by 7/16" it is 5" from graphics to edge of hood on passenger side and 5 7/8" on the drivers side. You do not notice the difference looking at the car. Couple pics attached of making the rub off. I think it is better that trying to measure and reference dimensions.

If I was still working we had a huge scanner that would scan to scale and convert to Auto Cad file but I don't have that luxury anymore. You could have then plotted a full size or even cut a mask on a cutting plotter. That is the only way you can take the human error out from taking measurements especially the radius. The gap between the black out and the outer thin stripe showing body color measures .480" to .490" measured with dial calipers and everyone uses .500 tape. I do not know how close that masking tape is cut you would have to take a huge sample to determine. Before you could buy the thin pin stripe tape we would take a wide roll to butcher shop and he could slice it on a meat slicer to what thickness we wanted. I use a rotary scissors and cutting board to make what little I need now.

What bugs me is that people paint the hood shiny black or shiny argent or take it all the way over the front edge of the hood. The whole reason they did the black out was to reduce glare on race cars. Oh by the way I did take a bucket of clean water and wipe off the hood before doing the rub. It still looks pretty darn good for sitting for over 30 years without a bath.

DSC_2474.JPG

DSC_2476.JPG

DSC_2481.JPG

David's hood is gorgeous, but we need to get some better pics - all the angle shots make things harder to decipher.

Here's mine straight from the soda blaster - the color part of the hood allowed the rust through, but the blackout somehow managed to hold its own in the West Texas sun.

attachment.php

I used the Graphic Express stencil from CJPP, and I made a rookie mistake with mine and had the painter set the leading edge of the stencil against the seam where the molding meets the hood, not the leading edge of the molding itself. So, mine sits back about an inch too far. He also set it about 1/2" too far to the passenger side, and I had to 'hand stripe' the driver side to get it even as close as I did to matching... which tells me the stencil is about an inch too narrow overall.

attachment.php

You wouldn't think that an inch too far back would be that big of a deal - which, with the car all back together really isn't that big of a big deal... to the untrained eye. But I know it's not right and it still bugs me a little - not enough to repaint it or anything, but enough to always be thinking that if I ever DO have to repaint, it'll get done right (although probably still glossy - sorry).

Putting it 1/2" off to one side was totally a big deal and wouldn't quit flicking the OCD streak in me on the ear as I was looking at it. But, it was already stuck down, and tried to stretch if you pulled it up... and I didn't have a spare one laying around either. So... that's what I came up with.

I hope the more head-on shots help someone out as well, even though these pics are probably worse than most of the others.

** You can probably also tell by the awesome job of putting the fender end caps on how much I was starting to regret letting this guy paint my car. ;)

Ray,

I sent Carguy a template. I took craft paper and put on the hood of my original car. I then took lead pencil and did a rub over the stripe. He is going to try to get a wrap made for the hood instead of paint. I don't know how they can get the narrow stripe to stay in position with a wrap but he will report what happens.

I am sure that every car will be a little different since they just threw down a template and sprayed the cars. It was for sure tape and not a vacuum mask since I can see where they wrapped it around the rear of the hood. Like Pastel my hood is out of center by 7/16" it is 5" from graphics to edge of hood on passenger side and 5 7/8" on the drivers side. You do not notice the difference looking at the car. Couple pics attached of making the rub off. I think it is better that trying to measure and reference dimensions.

If I was still working we had a huge scanner that would scan to scale and convert to Auto Cad file but I don't have that luxury anymore. You could have then plotted a full size or even cut a mask on a cutting plotter. That is the only way you can take the human error out from taking measurements especially the radius. The gap between the black out and the outer thin stripe showing body color measures .480" to .490" measured with dial calipers and everyone uses .500 tape. I do not know how close that masking tape is cut you would have to take a huge sample to determine. Before you could buy the thin pin stripe tape we would take a wide roll to butcher shop and he could slice it on a meat slicer to what thickness we wanted. I use a rotary scissors and cutting board to make what little I need now.

What bugs me is that people paint the hood shiny black or shiny argent or take it all the way over the front edge of the hood. The whole reason they did the black out was to reduce glare on race cars. Oh by the way I did take a bucket of clean water and wipe off the hood before doing the rub. It still looks pretty darn good for sitting for over 30 years without a bath.
David I received your package today ,thank you so much.

Rodney from SW Florida

Thanks to everyone especially David for helping with my hood wrap project.

The outcome was OK but I asked for a satin black instead of saying match the side stripes and the hood is lighter color than the side stripes but for $225 I cannot complain and it was my mistake.

Overall they did a good job thanks to David's hood rub he sent me.

I would like to offer his hood rub to anyone on the forum that is going to do the same as I did. If you want it PM me an I will send it to you.

Rodney from SW Florida

m93yid.jpg

14vljcn.jpg

Thanks to everyone especially David for helping with my hood wrap project.

The outcome was OK but I asked for a satin black instead of saying match the side stripes and the hood is lighter color than the side stripes but for $225 I cannot complain and it was my mistake.

Overall they did a good job thanks to David's hood rub he sent me.

I would like to offer his hood rub to anyone on the forum that is going to do the same as I did. If you want it PM me an I will send it to you.

Rodney from SW Florida

m93yid.jpg

14vljcn.jpg

Sent to Brad 3K73

Hope you get good use from the rub and please pass it on to the next guy when you are done.

Thanks

Rodney from SW Florida

Rodney,

The hood looks great. How did they do it was it done like the side stripes cut on a piece of paper to hold it in place, place on hood then peel off the backing and lay the stripe down? I would have thought they did on computer and would have the program now? Any pics of the apply?

Glad it worked for you. I would like to get the stripe used on the flat hood like the sprints and some special order cars.

On the painted hoods the side stripes have more shine than the hood it really has a texture to it not really smooth where the side stripes are smooth because they are plastic.

Rodney,

The hood looks great. How did they do it was it done like the side stripes cut on a piece of paper to hold it in place, place on hood then peel off the backing and lay the stripe down? I would have thought they did on computer and would have the program now? Any pics of the apply?

Glad it worked for you. I would like to get the stripe used on the flat hood like the sprints and some special order cars.

On the painted hoods the side stripes have more shine than the hood it really has a texture to it not really smooth where the side stripes are smooth because they nd plastic.
I did not see how they did it but I think they used an oversized piece of wrap material and used special cutting tape under the wrap material to do the cut on the car. And yes it looks good.

Thanks to you it looks good.....

Back