I'm Doing The Swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Completed
1972 Mach 1 Future Project
1972 Mach 1 Doner Parts Car
1973 302 Current Project
Chevy guys with Ford parts rule! You can find the best deals from these guys trust me! My situation is unlike most and very similar to our foriegn country brothers and that shipping fees cost more than the parts sometimes, so I must look for deals every chance I get. So, God bless online classified websites. Here's a look at what shipping cost just for these parts OUCH!

1231cfk.jpg

I See Chrome and I see the word Hurst :p

2vi49ps.jpg

Now, here's what made the painful shipping fees go away :banana:

4jqs9d.jpg

5e8p02.jpg

ZBars are very hard to get and are not reproduced YET! Called Scott Drakes and they said when it becomes a high demand part, then they'll start making them, but right now, they have nothing in the works. :(

2gwb2xi.jpg

Even got the zbar mounting brackets and if you've looked at the cost of these on fleabay, then you would know these are crazy money also. But, I'll say that I got all this for the cost of the brackets LOL! Gotta love Chevy guys with Ford parts! Chevy guys are so used to buying and trading for next to nothing and so they sell parts this way aswell. Why would they have Ford parts? Because everyone knows that our Toploader trans and 9" rearend are the best ever made. These hotrodders have these parts. Tomorrow I will go and see a Mopar guy for a Toploader 4sp trans :D

Okay, enough for now. Going to bed now. Yall are probably waking up LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I know what you mean as I experienced the same type "issues" while stationed with the Military overseas.

It has sure made me APPRECIATE things like the "Net" and having a choice when it comes to acquiring parts.

BT

YES DJ! Can't wait to see your beauty sporting a toploader!
Thanks guys it's been fun hunting for these parts and finding them before yall do :D Today I picked up a toploader and 9" rearend and will pick up another toploader tomorrow LOL! What am I doing????? Am I a parts hoarder :huh: Not knowing what I'm doing, I picked up a toploader that has the wrong tailhousing and the one that only minutes ago presented itself has the correct tailhousing, so I'll pick that up and keep the other for spare. I feel like I'm moving at warp speed with this project.

Evan my brother, what have you been up to? You don't reply to your ad on the other website and you're hardly ever here. I know you're a busy body and all, but I enjoyed your making progress thread on that awesome Boss331.

What's the latest news? I believe it was snowing and insanly cold last time we spoke, so hopefully the snow is gone and the days are nice and warm.

Later,

DJ

Yes, I know what you mean as I experienced the same type "issues" while stationed with the Military overseas.

It has sure made me APPRECIATE things like the "Net" and having a choice when it comes to acquiring parts.

BT
And most won't send to APO addresses :( Another good source for me are the military bases here. The soldiers usually bring their muscle cars down and loads of parts stuffed in the trunk and then post their unused parts on our local classified ads. My buddy is also an MP on base so he lets me know of any 7173 Mustang sightings or Ford parts ads posted on base bulletin boards

Been a very good weekend for parts.

9" rearend w/ stock 3.00 freeway friendly, cruising gears from a 1971 Torino GT

15fpyyx.jpg

Two 4sp Toploader trans. One with the wrong tail housing and one with the correct 1971 tail housing. The one with the correct tail housing has also been rebuilt, however, its been sitting in a closet for 7yrs. Both trans appear to shift properly and insides look very clean and well lubed.

2zhl9pi.jpg

2agrpcw.jpg

I just need a few more parts and I can begin the C6 to Toploader conversion. ::thumb::

Okay, here's the problem I'm having and the whole reason why I've opted to do the C6 to Toploader swap. When I did the rebuild last year, I beefed up the rearend with 3.55 Detroit locker. The car has awesome punch off the line and will easily spin my 295's with no problem and that's exactly what I was aiming for. However, on the freeway, the motor whines and sucks a lot of gas. I was told an overdrive trans will cure the problem, so that's why I've been sourcing all these parts to do the swap. Always wanted a 4sp in my Mach, so thought this would be a perfect time to make it happen. But, A rearend from a 1971 Torino recently presented itself (thanks to Craigslist) and I jumped on it. It has the same 3rd member as my 71 did when it rolled of the showroom floors, so I've decided a quick solution to my freeway woes would be to simply do a 3rd member swap. ::thumb:: Spent yesterday preping the diff from the Torino and try to make it look factory fresh. You won't believe this, but I can't find any copper rearend crush washers at any of my local auto parts store so I ordered some from the Mainland and will install the diff when they arrive. All starts with KBS 3 step rust system. Oxide Red is not used much so I just got the samplers pack which cost $18. Enough to cover 12sq ft w/ two coats

2exrfuw.jpg

Before

35i5evb.jpg

After

spdoo7.jpg

Are they the standard offset? Are the tires 295-50-15's? What is the clearance to the spring?

For copper washers we've been using plumbing grade copper washers from the local hardware store with no issues.

Back