New Member Here

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1973Mach1-460

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 with 460 eng C-6 Tranny with special low and second gears. Cowl Hood. 17 x 9 Chrome Magnums up front and 17 x 10.5 in the back. Also have a 70 Boss 302 Project and 2 Tubbed out Stangs. A 67 Coupe & a 1970 Mach 1. Going with Alum headed 289 in the 67 and have a Boss 429 I would like to put in the Pro St 70 Mach with a BDS 8:71 Super Charger. Just takes time and Money.
All Alum 427 Stroker 034.JPGHello 71-73 Mustang Members. I just joined this site a couple of days ago and really am excited to find a site for the bigger Mustangs. Just a little about me, I will be 62 on June 20. I have been building Muscle Car Engines, Ford, Chevy, and others for about 46 years. My first being an awesome 289 for my very first Mustang, a 65 Fastback way back in, 1970. Since I live about 20 miles outside of Charlotte NC I was making weekly trips to Holman Moody for Engine Parts. I remember one of the Deals I got was a Holman Moody 289 Aluminum Intake Manifold. The Intake sold for, are you ready, $100.00 New. If you were lucky enough to show up around the time they were testing engines on the Dyno and they just happened to be testing a 289 Hi Po you could buy the Used Intake off a Dyno Engine for 1/2 price. That's Right, I bought a Holman Moody Intake for $50 plus tax which then was only 4% so for $52.00 I was ready to move on. Wonder what that Intake would sell for today giving that it was run on a Dyno Engine?

Moving forward the engine turned out great and ran fantastic. My next Mustang was a 1970 Mach 1 that I purchased for $1,500 in 1973 after I graduated from High School. I sold that car when I was in San Antonio Texas in the Army. But, I found a 1970 Boss 302 Mustang that belong to a fellow Soldier and he was being shipped to Korea and couldn't take the car. After turning it down for $2,000.00 or so he finally asked if I would just pay off the Bank Note. I agreed and I still have that Boss car today. What was the Bank pay off? $703. and change. What a deal. The engine ran rough as I believe it had been run very hard. When I got it the Boss had L60 x 15 inch tires front and back on 10 inch Alum slots. That is a very big tire for the front. Anyway, I did a compression check on the engine and #5 Cyl was down a lot. I pulled the engine and was going to build it back but I came across a guy who used to Drag Race Boss 429 Hemis. He was getting out of racing and wanted a good engine for a project. I traded him my Boss 302 Engine, wish I hadn't now, and $750 for Two Boss 429 Blocks, cranks, 3 sets of heads, a few intakes, one being I think a Spider individual runner intake, 3 or 4 sets of Aluminum Rods, I think 2 sets were new. It was a long time ago. I got a lot of other parts too including 2 stock intakes, a tunnel ram for 2x4s, and a Magneto. As it turned out I found a 1970 Boss 429 Mustang a local guy had bought and couldn't do anything with it because there was not title. It had a 302 with the 4 speed in it and I bought it for about, $178 counting the tow bill to get it on base. Somehow word got out about it and I sold the body with a basic Boss 429 motor or parts for one, Block, cranks, Steel Rods, Pistons, Heads, valve covers, and intake and probably more misc parts I can't remember for, $2,500.00. A lot of profit then but what if I still had it today?

Later on I finished my tour in the Army and made my way back home to Gastonia, NC. I had the Boss running of course by now but the drive train was a 4bbl Cleveland and a C-6. I know but it was the 70s. I eventually found another Boss 302 and put it in the car with a 4 speed and 4:56 gears and a Crower Cam. The Cam was a .580 lift with 320 Duration advertised. Don't know what it was at .050 but it hit a good lick. After getting a Boss engine back in the car I had it painted and it was a pretty nice driver for years to come. It has been sitting waiting for a redo now since about 1985 or 6. Life happens. Marriage, divorce about 2 years later, marriage again, divorce about 17 years later, marriage again about 8 years ago. Still working so far. LOL... Around my first marriage in the early 80s I found a 1967 Shelby GT 500 with the original Big Block and 4 speed. I was visiting a Camp Ground for the summer and a local guy was driving it. It wasn't a very pretty site but it was a GT500. One weekend he got a little drunk and run the Shelby into a Dirt Embankment and folded the right front wheel under the car. It did some serious damage to the fender too. When I heard about the wreck I tracked him down and proposed a trade. Knowing that I had several Mustangs he said right away he didn't want another Mustang. I told him I had a different trade in mind. It just so happened that I had a Triple White 1974 Lincoln Mark IV and I was only the Third Owner. It was a pretty nice car with white leather and all the options. He said you will trade me the Lincoln for the Shelby. I said yes and he said at least he would have a car to get to work on Monday and he also had a Date that Night so the deal was made and I now owned a 67 GT 500. I repaired the car and sold it a couple of years later, I think about 1984 for, $3,900.00. Another Wow. Wish I still had it. After that I found another 67 GT 500 in Gastonia that was in storage with no engine that I bought for $3,100 and sold a few months later for, $7,000 to a guy from VA. The buyer of the first Shelby was from Charlotte.

I have had several Mustangs since then, some 60s and some 70s including a Black and Gold Mustang II. In 1989 I found another 1970 Boss 429 car in Wilson NC close to Raleigh NC. I was able to buy it for, $950.00 with a title. It had a 351 W in it with the 4 speed and I sold the 351 and then sold the Car with my last Boss 429 engine assembly for, $9,800. You know it was only a few years later that Barrett Jackson Auctions started becoming popular and the prices of those cars really soared. Now I have a Tubbed out Pro Street 67 Mustang Coupe with the Shelby Style Hood and truck, a Tubbed out 70 Mach 1 and I ended up with another Boss 429 that I want to put in that car with a Straight Axle and build an A/Gasser Boss 429 Mustang with an 8:71 BDS Super Charger that I also have. I still have the Boss 302 70, and I have a 1971 Fastback old Drag Car I bought about 2 years ago I am trying to get time to put it back on the track. I have a 72 Convertible with a Ram Air Cleveland with Auto and A/C I bought and plan to restore and I have a 1973 Mach 1 with a 460 that I drive on occasion. With all that said I have had numerous other Mustangs and have a one of one 1974 Cougar XR-7 factory 460 car I need to sell but also picked up another 65 fastback when I was still in high school that was a shell sitting on a tube frame with a pile of AFX Fiberglass Body parts from Holman Moody laying beside it. I bought all that and put it in my parents garage till I got out of the Army and then had it finished to a Roller with Roll cage and all. Put in a coupe of mock up engines from a Cleveland to a Boss 429 but ended up selling it 2 years ago to a guy in CA for cheap. $10,800. The car only weighed 1,200 lbs. without engine and trans. I am still building engines and have a lot of parts to sell off so I can restore the Boss 302 and finish the 70 Mach 1 Hemi Project. If anyone is looking I have about 5 or 6 old 289s, several old and newer 302s, a couple of 351W, 5 or 6 four bolt main Cobra Jet 351 Clevelands with Heads already Milled and Tapped for Studs and Guide Plates, 3 Boss 302 Engines that are not for sale, 4 Nascar 351 Blocks from the 80s and maybe early 90s. Might sell one or two. Two are New. a few 360 390 engines, a 428 Cobra Jet Block and Heads with Cobra Jet Exhaust Manifolds, a 67 Medium Rise 2x4 intake with MSD and other parts, 2 Four Bolt Main 429 Cobra Jet Blocks with one set of Iron Heads and one set of New IN the Box Ford Cobra Jet Aluminum Heads, about 5 or so 460s and of course the last Boss 429 Hemi Engine that has Holman Moody Race Heads, Maxi Plenum Dominator Intake, and the Block is NOS Jan 1970 that has not even been Honed to size. This block and parts came from Holman Moody about 20 or so years ago and the block is supposed to be one of the latest designs that was stronger than earlier blocks. I have way too much stuff. Besides all that I have a almost new set of Ford Racing A351 Cleveland Aluminum Heads with Ford Trans AM Titanium Intake Valves and Hollow Stem Stainless Exhaust. A NEW set of Ford Racing C302B Aluminum Cleveland heads that have had some Gasket Matching Started. A pair of Yates C3 heads with several intakes, Stainless Stepped Headers, a New set of JE Dome Top Pistons New in the Box for the Yates Heads with a 4.129 bore. I also have Rickie Smiths old Iron Hi Port Plated 71 Boss 351 Pro Stock type Heads that they had Air Flow Research to about, $1,800 worth of work to in 1978. Along with the heads I have a Pro Stock Dual Dominator Tunnel Ram and a set of Headers for the heads that have at least 2 1/8 inch tubes if not bigger. I traded Rickie Smith's Car owner and sponsor Keith Fouler A new in the box Boss 429 Hemi Heads that I got in the first trade with my Boss 302 engine. for the Cleveland Hi Port Heads. Jon Kaase was on hand for the trade as he was about to bust the Pro Stock Scene wide open with the Boss 429s. I have 6 Sets of New In the Box Dome Top 351 Cleveland Pistons, plus so much more. I have an intake to put Cleveland heads on a Windsor and an intake to put Windsor heads on a Cleveland. I also for those looking have about 6 or 7 Nodular Iron Cases with Date codes of late 60s and early 70s. Just too much stuff and I need to start selling. If anyone is interested please call. Don't know what the rules are but hopefully no one will mind if I post my number. Home is, 704-867-7566 no calls after 10 PM or before 8 AM Please. Cell phone is, 704-516-8033 again no calls after 10 PM. I hope you have enjoyed my journey through the decades. Mike. PS I am going to try to put up my 73 Mach 1 and a Customers engine I did a few years ago. It is a 427 Cleveland AFD Headed Dart Aluminum Block with Cleveland deck 9.2 and Cleveland Mains. 10.5 to 1 Comp approx. Crane Solid Roller Street Profile Cam. On the Dyno with a belt installed turning the Alternator, Water Pump, and A/C as you see in the pictures. 565 HP at 6,200 540 FT Lbs of torque at 4,400.

another addict! Just like us. Welcome from WA state!

Back