4R interior

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
On the advice of another member i ordered some samples from SMS. They can supply me with pre-made headliner, carpet, and vinyl roof. They can also provide vinyl and fabric to enable me to get the seat covers made.

So here are the things i need help with;

My seats are so far gone i dont think i can get a good enough example to take to the upholsterer.

SMS do not make deluxe door cards so i need a supplier that will supply the deluxe door cards without any vinyl covering.

Is the floor carpet the same as the piece that attaches to the bottom of the deluxe door card?

M7.JPG

I believe it was discussed where TMI will make new seat covers if you provide them with the correct insert materials (from SMS). The regular vinyl material is readily available. Gonna be kinda pricy, but its a one-time expense if you want the factory original appearance.

Lots of discussion in the past on reprod door panels (you can do a search and review). Reproduction panels will need quite a bit of detail work to get a decent job in the end but its very do-able. Door panel material is the same as the floor carpet. For your green interior, you'll need to dye the (white) panels.

Thanks for your response. I have emailed TMI and asked them if they will make seat covers for me with material provided by SMS.

I have also asked them if they will manufacture the correct color door cards for me with SMS vinyl and carpet.

As you say it will be expensive. Its a one time outlay with the intension of a concours finish. So costs should never come into it if you want it right.

This is going to be so cool - can't wait to see how it comes out. ::thumb::

SMS is a great supplier. If there is a demand they purchased the old looms used to make all of the upholstery materials and will set up and make it if they do not have original material.

I have several of the rare Towne Top removable hard tops for 1964 1/2 - 68 mustang and sent samples of the exterior vinyl covering and headliner material and they had both in stock. There are only 6 of these tops know so far and they had the right material.

Same with the comfort weave material they had what I needed.

Any good upholstery shop can sew up the seats, TMI will only make the covers unless you can get them to include putting them on. Always replace the foam cores and get the frames stripped and painted.

Good seat tracks are getting hard to find since the mounts rust from the wet carpets.

Will be interesting to see how it turns out. The door panels are always a sore spot. Look for good originals I sold a perfect set of black ones about 6 months ago on eBay.

I also picked up a perfect original set of Ford Ginger seat covers front and back for $122 nobody bid on them.

You never know what will come out of someones attic or barn so keep searching.

Keep us posted on the results.

Any good upholstery shop can sew up the seats, TMI will only make the covers unless you can get them to include putting them on.
That's kind of odd, considering TMI primarily makes DIY kits so you can do your own seats (I did my own using their products).

Always replace the foam cores and get the frames stripped and painted.
Good advice - the foam is almost always crumbling and smells old. The listing wires rust out as well, so replacing those items are a must.

Good seat tracks are getting hard to find since the mounts rust from the wet carpets.
The repop seat sliders from OMS work great and are excellent replacements (I have those, too)

The door panels are always a sore spot. Look for good originals I sold a perfect set of black ones about 6 months ago on eBay.

I also picked up a perfect original set of Ford Ginger seat covers front and back for $122 nobody bid on them.
The only issue with buying a used set is when i use new vinyl on the seats the match will not be 100%. The only way is to find a donor car with a perfect interior. I don't think thats possible as the sun has a bleaching effect on the vinyl over 40+ years.

I realise the restoration is a long haul project and things will be tough along the road. I am still waiting for parts from the U.S after a month. Parts to get the car roadworthy so i can get a M.O.T. Without a M.O.T i can't even register the car or drive it on British roads.

For myself this site is more than coversing with like minded people who are more than willing to share a wealth of knowledge. The most important thing about belonging to this community, as a British owner, is the networking which helps find the right people to help source the right parts. Thats going to save me months in my quest.

So, A BIG Thank You to all those that have imput valueable information in the short time i have been a member here.

I went the same route of purchasing material from SMS. As mentioned above I did send my original materials to TMI for them to sew into their seat cover pattern. It does cost more than the standard kit, but it sounds like you are looking at a long term investment much like I did and to me it was worth it. The banding vinyl in the deluxe interior vertical strips is a light gray in most of the reproductions and no where near the thickness of vinyl or grade of embossing. Furthermore, I have not located anyone other than SMS that has the original woven comfortweave material versus the stamped/embossed material on most reproductions. The other benefit is TMI's pattern is designed to fit their seat foams. You need to factor this into the equation. Always try and get seat foams from the same manufacturer of the covers or you run the risk of an over or under sized pattern to fit over the cushion. I opted to go with the TMI black vinyl on the top and sides of the seat to allow it to match with their black deluxe door panel material. Their side vinyl is relatively thick, but not as much as the original. My contact at TMI was VERY helpful and responded quickly to my emails regarding the shipping and production of my covers. Again, it is expensive to go this route, but if you like the originality I do not think you can get any closer without buying 40 year old seat covers.

If I can help out any other way PM me.

P1010332.JPG

P1010333.JPG

P1010334.JPG

P1010472.JPG

P1010537.JPG

Those seats look really good. Its good to see the rear seats. I find myself as well as others guilty of just discussing front seats.

I will take your advice and order seat foam from TMI.

What is under the rear seat covers? There must be some kind of padding as i never seen foam advertised?

As for fitting the covers; I will leave that job to my cousin. He does that job for a living. He works at a company that produces seats for all the high end cars.

I am a great believer in if a jobs worth doung give it 100% or don't bother your ass. If your not competent at something work at it till you are and find someone that can do the job till your good enough.

Do we ever stop learning as a species

There are replacement seat foam kits available for the rear seats as well the fronts. TMI has really come through with upholstery kits for our cars.

I went with "Sport Seats" (foam and covers) for my fronts, and the standard replacement kit for the rear seat. The materials were quality (IMHO), and having never done it myself I think it went pretty well - I'm happy with my seats, in other words.

Back