Centre Console

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
20160517_091735.jpgMy centre console is missing. If you look at the picture below you will see the carpet has a darker strip just around the shifter bezel.

Can anyone post a picture of the correct console that should of been there.

I also need to know if the console was color coded to match the green 4R interior

20160517_091732.jpg

Hi,

it seems that you have had the small or mini-console like this

1971_00019_07.jpg

And yes, as pictured, they were color-matched to the rest of the interior.

Ask Don from OMS if you want one or look on Ebay...

On Summit, for example, you can buy interior color rattle cans to match - I used these

for hard materials

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sdk-l-15644

for softer materials like vinyl

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sdk-v-17023

You have to look for the right color, perhaps try two different to see what looks best...

Hope that helps.

I have a nice black one if you can't find green

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

They were probably molded in green plastic, but you can get really good results with a black plastic piece using the SEM interior colors and vinyl/plastic painting process they outline.

My new repop stuff (as well as the OE pieces I was able to save) needed to be the black metallic color. Following the process (cleaning, adhesion promoter, texture, paint), all of my interior pieces came out looking as they're supposed to, and don't have that 'just got repainted' look or feel. They key is patience and thin coats of whatever you're spraying.

I checked your album on facebook!!!!

You definately got more devotion than me. I thought i had a tough time ahead but my metalwork is solid so i see my resto as a easy job in comparison

Thanks! It was definitely an adventure. Being out in the middle of Nowhere, West Texas, I do have a small taste of the same feeling you guys in other countries have with regards to availability of parts, etc.: it's going to cost a bit for shipping and there's usually no going down to the local parts store to find whatever I might need on the shelf.

Going 'restomod' definitely afforded me some options, as opposed to the rigid concourse path you've chosen, but I tried to stick with period-correct cosmetic mods with some modern mechanical goodies as well. Basically, I just wanted an "old school looking" muscle car that performs better than it ever could back then. In order to pull that off (in my head), I had to put as many things back to factory original as I could before doing the mods.

Going concourse is probably even a bigger adventure all by itself, let alone being in a different country and taking on a less mainstream model (Grande' vs. Mach 1). My hat's off to you, Sir. ::thumb::

I found this one on Ebay.

It has the facility for a clock. Would this style have been fitted to a 1971 Grandé?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162102189942?item=162102189942&viewitem=&vxp=mtr
That is just the front top piece of a long console will not do anything without the lower portion.

Pic is long console.

Every car had either a short console that was standard or a long that was an option. That was the only place for an ash tray and you had to have one back then.

You probably would never find a NOS short one and the SEM paints or dyes do a really great job as long as you prep the parts as instructed. You can get the ash tray re plated with zinc and clear chromate. They do not repo the short console ash tray that I know of. You can get new ash trays and glove box lids for the long consoles but nobody makes the clocks and they are getting expensive.

If the plastic is warped just heat up with a heat gun and pull back into shape. Be cautious of buying one that has been painted. Some solvents will eat the ABS plastic up quickly trying to get old paint off.

All of the original consoles were molded in color. The piece that holds the clock on the long console is available new and the long console is also available new but without clock.

Back