How to test Intermittent Wiper Switch?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE PONY

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
I have an original intermittent wiper switch I bought off of eBay several years ago. I decided to keep my original wiper switch. My car has not been wet since 2010 so don't really need an intermittent wiper and I want to keep the car as original as possible. So I plan on selling the switch. I would like to test the switch with a meter if possible so I can be sure it is in working condition. Is there a way to do this or do I have to crawl under or take the dash apart to connect the wiper switch and governor to make sure it works before I offer it for sale?

There was an article in Mustang Monthly awhile back on how to test these things.

I think the best method would be to plug it in and run it... if it weren't such a PITA to do, that is. :chin:

What about sending it to midlife? I'll bet he'd know how to test it without having to take your car apart. ::thumb::

There was an article in Mustang Monthly awhile back on how to test these things.

I think the best method would be to plug it in and run it... if it weren't such a PITA to do, that is. :chin:

What about sending it to midlife? I'll bet he'd know how to test it without having to take your car apart. ::thumb::
Maybe Midlife will chime in!

The wiper operations are difficult for me to figure out based upon schematics...one of the few areas that I haven't mastered (along with EFI and computers...)

Send it to Bob (Rocketman at RCCI). He's a rocket scientist!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, thanks for all the input. I may just try to plug in to test, if not, I'll send it to Bob.

You should be able to unplug the wire from your switch and just plug it in without taking your dash apart.

When you plug it in, make sure you ground the extra ground wire

Ok, thanks for all the input. I may just try to plug in to test, if not, I'll send it to Bob.

You should be able to unplug the wire from your switch and just plug it in without taking your dash apart.

When you plug it in, make sure you ground the extra ground wire
Thanks, I'll give that a try!

I pulled the plug off the back of my installed wiper switch but the harness did not have enough slack for me to use both hands to plug in the intermittent switch, so I pulled the instrument cluster apart to so I could plug in the intermittent switch to test. Works great. I found it interesting the switch turns to the right for low and high speed but you turn to the left for the different intermittent speeds.

I will post this up for sale on another thread.

Below is a short video showing the test, you can also hear how loud my ignition warning buzzer sounds!

https://player.vimeo.com/video/173685764?app_id=122963

I need some help understanding proper function of the intermittent wiper system. My 71 came with intermittent wipers, only they don't really work. From the left stop, the switch scrolls a ways before it comes to the first position. Then there are 2 more positions before it comes to the right stop. 3 total clicks. The wipers will cycle once when I get to that first position. Then nothing. Moving the switch to the other 2 stops does nothing. If I start over from the left, I have gotten it to cycle once again, but only once.

How many positions should there be from left to right?

Is that long scroll / spin from the left normal?

What function should each switch position have?

Does my problem sound like a bad switch, or a bad module?

Thanks!

Back