Danish 72 Mach1 330 Modular engine swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, here it begins...

I purchased the car in 2004 being the 3rd owner of a car that had always been driven i Denmark (imported in 1972). I took it apart, repaired what I could afford on an apprentice salery and got her back on the street

The first owner had made some modifications to the body as shown in the pictures below. Especially the rear end of the car sold my heart, and the two of us have had 12 amazing years, burning rubber on the danish roads.

In 2008 the original cleveland broke down, and I swapped it for a similar renovated engine bought in the states, pepped and tuned for street/performance use.

Then in the middle of 2015 the carclub I'm riding with got invited to the grand opening of a new piece of highway outside Copenhagen, letting us ride the road all day before it was opened for the public. It got crazy and wild, and once again the cleveland gave up... But she did good that day, reeeeal good, and it was probably my own fault having a heavy right foot...

Putting the car back in the garage that day, I remember sitting beside her "sneaking-on-rust-from-every-corner" for an hour just looking and remembering the good times her and I had together, and desided that the fairytale wasn't over. Once again I would take her apart and give her the renovation she deserved already 12 years ago that I couldn't afford then... This time I wanted to do it right...

The wife got a new bathroom and kitchen, and promised to shut up about me spending evenings with my car instead of netflix and her for the next years, and in November it was time.

I took the car apart over winter, finding more rust that I could imagine, in places I didn't even know excisted, and decided to bring it to a proffesionel welder who could make it better than I could.

In the meantime I took apart the engine to clarify what happened to the engine, and found out that basicly everything needed to get fixed...

Main bearings busted, rod bearings busted, cylinder walls busted and the C6 also needed a renovation... I was looking at 6000$ plus work just for engine/trans work, to get "what-I-had-that-didn't-quite-last" back in the car...

No way....

I talked to the guys in the club, and one ended up showing me a project in the back of his shop that had been laughing at him for 6 years. He had bought a 2004 F-150 Lightning that some idiot managed to be bend every corner on in a spin-crash on the highway, and decided to make the meanest gran torino in northern europe. The project never got further than taking the truck apart, marking every, and I mean every wire, and putting everything on the shelve.

He offered the engine with 50.000 miles on, including trans, gimbal, clomplete wiring harness, diablo box and everything that the computer would need to work (abs sensor? jaiks...) for 5500$......

I jumped in with both legs... This being the supercharged engine with 380hp and 610nm I couldn't resist the challenge...

For the next year I will upload pictures of every challenge that I will encounter, and YES I will be looking for ideas to solve a lot of them...

In this case I will enjoy both the jouney and the destination, hope you will too...

boyd 005.jpg

Great to see you here Henrik! I am looking forward to see the progress of this car. Do you have any plans for suspension, brakes and what so ever? By the way, how can you make the car legal here in Denmark with that engine? :D

Skriver bare lige på engelsk så de andre også forstår :D

Hey my viking friend! Looking forward to your build as well [WINKING FACE]

I've ordered the rc107 from rc motorsports

http://rcmotorsportsinc.com/rc-107-adjustable-ride-height-coilover-conversion-package/

So I can get rid of the shock towers and power steering on the frame.

I'm planing on getting a drivingtest like they do on the hotrods and pay the difference tax. And remember, we're not the good company [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] it's gonna ride no matter what!

Yesterday we fixed the gastank issue providing space for the new fuelpump/fueladviser that had to be installed from the top.

Sendt fra min LG-D855 med Tapatalk

f6676d5c306d38da79fd9947c0296dd5.jpg

Nice job, Henrick! Glad to see/hear you're making progress. ::thumb::

But I gotta ask: what is it with all the Danish cars having recessed taillights, anyway? Don't get me wrong, it looks very cool! All I'm saying is 3 Danish cars... 3 sets of recessed taillights? Coincidence? :whistling:

Keep up the excellent work!! :bravo:

In my opinion this model has the most musclecar look that Ford ever managed to put into a car, but the rearend kinda had some imperfections that I didn't like.

The recessed taillights and fully molded rearend blew my mind and made it perfect... Well, almost... What my friend protouringstang73 us doing actually looks better [THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN]

You both do excellent work, and I think the changes look great. ::thumb::

Sounds to be a really cool project! What kind of ideas do you else have with the car? How much do you think a drivingtest will cost to make it legal? Would be fun to know, I have allways wanted a mod engine, but the drivingtest scared me a little! :D

In my opinion this model has the most musclecar look that Ford ever managed to put into a car, but the rearend kinda had some imperfections that I didn't like.

The recessed taillights and fully molded rearend blew my mind and made it perfect... Well, almost... What my friend protouringstang73 us doing actually looks better [THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN]

That was a nice comment, I appreciate that buddy, thanks! But yours look really nice too! :)

The hood needs some kind of big effing hole to fit the factory mounted supercharger, but it needs to be closed as I think it would look funny with 3x ram intakes. The dominator model dont fit the car in my opinion so I'm open to suggestions (please?!).

Otherwise I'm getting the car back from welding tomorrow, but cant try the engine/trans fitment before the rc107 gets in harbour and mounted, so it's all about the gastank and instruments for the next couple of weeks. It's gonna be a pain in the butt to get the other tac and speedometer fitted.

I'll post pictures of the car and engine tomorrow.

image.jpegA suggestion would be a base hood instead of the NASA hood with a BOSS 429 scoop. I myself will be building this hood but as a SHAKER for the 71. In your case you just need the space so you could mount it to the hood.

The hood needs some kind of big effing hole to fit the factory mounted supercharger, but it needs to be closed as I think it would look funny with 3x ram intakes. The dominator model dont fit the car in my opinion so I'm open to suggestions (please?!).

Otherwise I'm getting the car back from welding tomorrow, but cant try the engine/trans fitment before the rc107 gets in harbour and mounted, so it's all about the gastank and instruments for the next couple of weeks. It's gonna be a pain in the butt to get the other tac and speedometer fitted.

I'll post pictures of the car and engine tomorrow.

Srry, I'll keep it clean from now on [THUMBS UP SIGN]

A suggestion would be a base hood instead of the NASA hood with a BOSS 429 scoop. I myself will be building this hood but as a SHAKER for the 71. In your case you just need the space so you could mount it to the hood.
That looks awesome! I'm a bit torn on giving up the nasa as it is one of the best i've seen...

Back