Drivers Education Horror Films from 60's

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Was looking at a link from The Historic Vehicle Association. They posted several videos from as far back as the 40's. YOU MIGHT NOT WANT THE KIDS TO SEE THIS. This one is from 1969 from Ohio. This was shown to high school kids in drivers ed. https://youtu.be/ksCaZT8YgRg

I can remember we had a 1964 Plymouth with 3 speed manual and this odd shaped steering wheel that was not round for our class. Kept missing the wheel when backing up. There were two sets of brake and clutch pedals but only one steering wheel. I had been driving my dad's old 1950 Ford 3 speed on a closed back road for a while before drivers ed.

They had girls in the classes pass out during the bloody gruesome but real video of the crashes.

We had the horror films and also had some testing for reaction time and depth perception in the classroom. What do they do in today's classes.

I think putting them in racing go carts on a track would do more good. They would see how quick things happen on a smaller scale.

I am having to take a break from the garage work soooo hot here in the 90's I lost over 17 lbs. this week. I drink gatorade and water all day long and take potassium tablets also. I am beat.

I remember those educational films, along with the ones about drugs and sex (diseases).

The car films didn't seem to have much effect on me, it was (and pretty much still is) pedal to the metal :)

Interesting and graphic. I believe it was 1969 when I got my Learners Permit. I don't remember seeing this type of graphic film, but some still pictures were shown in Driver's education class. I remember some towns at the time would display a badly wrecked car in median strips with safe driving signs in front of them.

Back