302 Cylinder Heads

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTGSTANG

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible red/white interior. Engine: 302 V8 w/air, upgraded Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Petronix, Holly 600cfm carb, power windows.
So, when I took the car for its first test drive yesterday I heard quite a bit of knocking and I was only going around the neighbor hood at around 20-25 mph. I know these cylinder heads are probably original. I get one "BIG" purchase to tide me over for a while (got permission from the wife, haha).

I am curious to see if any other 302 Mustangs here have upgraded some and want to know the results as well as the type (lift, cc size, intake/exhaust sizes).

If i remember right the 302 heads are 63 cc, unless they are 4V heads then those are 53.5 cc ( 1968 heads C8OE-F ) last 302 i worked on a little i used 1969 351W heads,larger ports and bigger valves C9OE-B,C9OE-D,D0OE-C,D0OZ-C would be the numbers to look for all of these have 60.4cc and 1.84/1.54 valves. Comp cam dual energy cam 275DEH .477/.510 lift with a 2000-2500 stall woke my 93 T-Bird up a bit

Last edited by a moderator:
When I put a EFI 5.0 into my 65 2+2, I found a uesd set of 61cc AFR 165's, on Stangnet. The seller was a long time contributor on that forum and I felt good buying the used parts. For $900 they have been fine. Only issue was i wanted a 10:1 CR and the 61ccheads didn't get there. I eventually did find a 58cc set of AFR 165's $850 shipped. Again form a solid seller. These heads are on the 5.0 short block I recently put into the 73 Verti. The 61's are going on a 331 for the 2+2. AFR makles a great set of heads, and when buying used from a trusted seller can be a ggreat deal, much better tha redoing a set of DO0E's.

Edelbrock Performers are another real good set of aluminum heads that can be found in great shape for a decent price.

The aluminum heads save weight, add torque & HP, already have hardened valve seats all at a price better than refurbing an old set of Ford heads. When chosing aluminum heads just stay away from the cheap knock offs from China.

Back