1973 Grande

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueovaldude

Reaction score
My Car
1967 Mustang GTA 390
1970 Mustang Boss 302
1984 Mustang GT 5.0
1963 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe
Hello, believe it or not I came across this site while looking for wheels for my 67. It jogged a very dear memory of my uncle's 73 Grande. It was before I became of age to appreciate, and afford, to be in to the whole Mustang thing. I always breathed Mustang since experiencing the exhaust note of my neighbors Boss 302 while riding my 20" bike with banana seat, directly behind him upon starting the car! Wow! I was hooked. I am 61 and can remember it like yesterday. The very distinguishable smell of leaded 90+ octane gas and that low sounding exhaust burble.

Anyway, I joined this site to see if by chance my uncles Grande is out there.

You see, my uncle always bought cool cars. He and his wife never had kids and always had nice cars. He bought this car the year that his wife became ill. It was the beginning of the end for my uncle. My Aunt died in 1974. Without the love of his life, he did not have the will to live. My Father became the executor of his estate as he became less interested in living. Included in his estate was his 1973 Mustang Grande. When my Father started taking care of his affairs, he wasn't sure what to do with his car, so he brought it to our house. At that time (1977) the car had been driven just over 300 miles. My Dad, being an old school kind of guy, thought the car should be driven in order to keep everything working properly, so he drove it to work occasionally until it had accumulated approximately 1500 miles at which time he decided to store it at another uncle's farm until his estate could be sorted out due to his deteriorating health. Soon after my uncle's death, my dad started liquidating his brother's assets in order to pay his pile of bills from the nursing home. He sold the Grande for around $3000.00. A few years later, he received a call from a guy that purchased the car from the guy he originally sold it to. I believe the car ended up in CA. This guy wanted to confirm the story he was told. Somewhere during the conver[/size][/font]sation this fellow decided that my dad was lying and became abusive. I remember my Dad feeling really bad. Anyway, the Grande had only accumulated a few hundred more miles at the time and this guy really couldn't believe it.

So, if anyone knows where a low mileage 73 Gold grande, I'm thinking it had the 302 CI engine in it, with a vinyl top and Ginger Brown Tan HT Cloth seats that originally came from St. Paul MN, I can vouch for it! Whew!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum. That is a great story not happy due to your uncle's death. That has happened so many times with peoples pride and joy stored away and no miles. There was one near me in S.C.. A peach farmer bought a new 1950 Chevy and drove it home about 15 miles. His wife was ill and he was trying to cheer her up and help her get well. He parked the car outside the bedroom window so she could see it. She died and the car was never moved. Sat there and sank into the red clay until the 1990's when the estate was auctioned. It had less that 20 miles on it but rusted beyond repair.

If your dad has the VIN#, old registration card or documents from the estate that list the VIN# you might be able to track it down.

How do number plates work in the U.S? Sounds like the only way to identify a vehicle is VIN number? Here in the U.K we get a set of number plates which remain with the vehicles for life unless the owner purchases a private number plate. Private number plates are still government issued and you may want your initials to your name as the letters if that makes sense.

Back