• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

seat belt parts (deluxe 72)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machmeter1

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 - sold
Hallo

In order to bring my retoration (http://www.mustang-inside.de/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4198&start=210) to an end, I need following parts:

2 shoulder belts - driver an passenger side (just the shoulder belt - I do have the hip belts with the retractor)

1 rear seat belt (just the retractable part - driver side)

To make it a bit more challenging - color green and deluxe version.

In worst case I would also take a complete deluxe seat belt set in black...

Thanks in advance for all offers

Wolfgang

Going for vacation but as soon as I am back I will post some pics of the seatbelts. They are factory, sure about that. They all have Ford tags on them.

Cheers Wolfgang

Pretty sure green interior got green belts. Car in picture had them if I remember correct. Only time this is not true is with white interior you got black belts, black console, black carpet on the lover door panels and black dash pad.

Remember the recorded interview with a Ford assembly line worker. He had like 1 1/2 min. to pull the right belts, install them and plug in on Pinto line. I am sure same for mustang. He saw a pink pinto coming and figured black belts but they were not seems like it was a green interior on a pink car. The recording is somewhere on the site. He said sometimes he just threw them in the floor if wrong color because he didn't have time to go get the right one. The guy that put the spare tire and jack instruction sticker in the trunk had the same amount of time to do pretty much nothing. I bet Ray can tell us where the recording is.

I am sure several here have green interiors that can fill in the blanks. So much stuff got changed without the build sheet hard to say.

DSC_2208.JPG

Seatbelts were colored coded to the interior. As David said the white interiors got black belts. So your green interior defiantly got green belts. The shoulder harness belts were considered part of the seat belt assembly, so they were never sold separately or had a number other than for the assembly. Your 1972 body style 63 would have used D2ZZ-65611A72-G (before 12/1/71) D2ZZ-65611A72-Q (from 12/1/71). Since you only need parts of the belts and not a complete set maybe Don (OMS) or Mike at Motor City Mustang can help you. If no one can come up with any good used ones you may end up using one of our on site venders for some new ones. Good luck with your search!

I will check this weekend on which style of green seatbelts I have and report back here.

Seatbelts were colored coded to the interior. As David said the white interiors got black belts. So your green interior defiantly got green belts. The shoulder harness belts were considered part of the seat belt assembly, so they were never sold separately or had a number other than for the assembly. Your 1972 body style 63 would have used D2ZZ-65611A72-G (before 12/1/71) D2ZZ-65611A72-Q (from 12/1/71). Since you only need parts of the belts and not a complete set maybe Don (OMS) or Mike at Motor City Mustang can help you. If no one can come up with any good used ones you may end up using one of our on site venders for some new ones. Good luck with your search!

Pretty sure green interior got green belts. Car in picture had them if I remember correct. Only time this is not true is with white interior you got black belts, black console, black carpet on the lover door panels and black dash pad.

Remember the recorded interview with a Ford assembly line worker. He had like 1 1/2 min. to pull the right belts, install them and plug in on Pinto line. I am sure same for mustang. He saw a pink pinto coming and figured black belts but they were not seems like it was a green interior on a pink car. The recording is somewhere on the site. He said sometimes he just threw them in the floor if wrong color because he didn't have time to go get the right one. The guy that put the spare tire and jack instruction sticker in the trunk had the same amount of time to do pretty much nothing. I bet Ray can tell us where the recording is.

I am sure several here have green interiors that can fill in the blanks. So much stuff got changed without the build sheet hard to say.
See recently bumped thread titled "Early 70's Ford Production".

Ray

Steve, you sure about all having color keyed belts

I know Grande's did and I think cars ordered with deluxe belts diid too.

I've had several red interior cars with black belts.

I have a 72 Q code convertible with "white belts" they are not white, more of a off white / tan color

002.JPG

003.JPG

I know Grandé's did and I think cars ordered with deluxe belts diid too.

I have a 72 Q code convertible with "white belts" they are not white, more of a off white / tan color
Don, I've learned at this stage of life that nothing is 100% on these cars. When we ordered belts for these cars we used the trim code to ID the interior color and to order belts of the corresponding color. We were told by our Dealer Services Unit in Detroit (our answer cats and engineers) to order belts by interior color. If that wouldn't work, "Stick black in 'em" was their response! Lol

My 71 5A black interior Mach1 has black belts, my 71 5E vermillion has red belts. I had three parts cars. 73 blue glow, white interior had black belts, 72 white, blue interior, blue belts, 72 gold glow, ginger interior, ginger belts. The verts were listed separately and show "Parchment" for the color you were referring to instead of white.

I'll put it this way. These cars were supposed to have color matched belts. Did they all leave the plant that way? Probably not. After all, how much did that freshely lit joint in the ash tray distract you when the car came to your station for seat belts!! :whistling:

Hit the garage today and checked out the two green parts cars that I have. Both had black seat belts instead of green. I had a white car with a green interior a couple of years ago that had green seatbelts, but those have been sold a while ago.

I will check this weekend on which style of green seatbelts I have and report back here.

View attachment 34383

View attachment 34384

Hi guys

Thanks for all the Information about seat belts. As I wrote in my first thread, my interior and the seat belts where green.

But back to the topic, does anyone of you have the parts I am looking for?

Wolfgang [/i]

Wolfgang, if no one here has any useable green belts maybe you could get yours restored. Snake oyl is a company I used when we needed some belts repaired (restored) for a 67 Mustang GT our dealer owner was having restored in our body shop. http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/merchant.mvc

Another choice would be the Scott Drake offerings. Don (OMS) and CJ Pony parts are both site member/Venders here. I would contact them to get an honest evaluation of these belts and availability. http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-seat-belt-with-push-button-1965-1973/p/SBP-V/

Wolfgang, if no one here has any useable green belts maybe you could get yours restored. Snake oyl is a company I used when we needed some belts repaired (restored) for a 67 Mustang GT our dealer owner was having restored in our body shop. http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/merchant.mvc

Another choice would be the Scott Drake offerings. Don (OMS) and CJ Pony parts are both site member/Venders here. I would contact them to get an honest evaluation of these belts and availability. http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-seat-belt-with-push-button-1965-1973/p/SBP-V/
That ssnake oyl company looks like a quality resto business. The one thing i would be interested in too is the Battery diaper. They say the material used will neutralise the acid to prevent the acid eating through the paint or worse case scenario acid eating right through the battery tray and 80% of battery apron which is what happened to the previous owner of the car i purchased.

http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Ssnake-Oyl&Product_Code=BD&Category_Code=VP

They've been in business since 1980 and I've seen their advertisements in several Mustang magazines. Even though I told my boss the belts were not available from Ford, he still thought I had found some from Ford. That's how good they looked. They even replaced the safety certification labels with the proper date coded ones.

The battery diaper sounds like a good ideal. With sealed maintenance free batteries and electronic voltage regulators the battery acid leakage seems to not be the problem it was years ago. But at $5.95 that is cheap insurance considering the cost of replacing a front fender apron!

I got in contact with a well known part dealer who might be capable to provide the desired parts. If not I will go with modern 3 point seat belts in black Color. They meet todays safty standards and are easy to get. The only thing which disturbs me on them, is the fact, that most belts are manufactured in a way that they are always visible on the side windows.

Original shoulder belts, when not in use, ran along the roofline.

An idea would be to get belts like these:

http://www.stevens-shop.de/shop/Sicherheitsgurte/Gurte-fuer-PKW/Automaticgurt-fuer-den-mittleren-Ruecksitz::74.html?XTCsid=ae5e2cbd4891fb9b049d98db9b9db756

To avoid any esthetic losses, I would then mount the retractor to the roof panel. The lap seat belt would be static and the shoulder belt retractable. But for now thats just an idea.

Wolfgang

Last edited by a moderator:

I know Grandé's did and I think cars ordered with deluxe belts diid too.

Interesting.... My current '71 vert project has these similar whitish tan belts. I had thought that they had faded over the years from either being originally white or black. My interior was that rough that I could not determine from a quick look before bagging everything up and storing, the actual colour. I knew as the restoration progressed I would have to research these belts further. I honestly thought that like the rest of the interior, my original belts were just "filthy", which they are in any case... I take it that your '72 Q Code has the standard interior?

I'd really like to see this colour in a more presentable condition... Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Back