Strange Paint Code-Marti Report

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
On mustangs ordered with special paint. Ford did not keep track of what color was ordered.

You could dig for clues in the interior area, on the floor by trans tunnel, under sound deadner or seam sealer.

It has 70 tail light panel, rear marker lights and seats.

My guess is someone added the 69 style scoop / brake ducts

Maybe it was produced at the time the 69 Qpanels were phased out? If its one of those last crossover designs would that add value?
I would expect a crossover/hybrid to have a build date in late July or August. This one was built in November, all '69 panels were likely long gone by then.

Like Don said it was a special order for paint which carries a six digit DSO code this one being 711567. 71 is L.A. District, last four digits 1567 was the special order number. The records for the special order cars were kept by each Order District some might still have the records. I tried to track down the records on my 73 Vert that was special order paint and some other items that cannot be read on the build sheet. They had been destroyed in the Detroit District that my car was ordered from. The extra cost on my car was $99.95 to paint it black. If the owner has the build sheet it tells what is special on there. There were quite a few Special Order items. Could be paint, a trim option not offered in the showroom brochure, sealer delete for building a race car, glider (no drive train), different wheels etc.. Ford would do about anything you wanted as long as you paid for it and it did not interfere with safety or emissions.

I do not know if they could have got the quarters changed or not could be possible. Would require close inspection of panels to see if replaced or factory.

I seem to recall an episode of 'Overhauling" where Chip Foose put 69 rear quarters on a 70. Possibly that's where this car's PO got the idea.

Like Don said it was a special order for paint which carries a six digit DSO code this one being 711567. 71 is L.A. District, last four digits 1567 was the special order number.The records for the special order cars were kept by each Order District some might still have the records.
Thanks for that. I learned some more today and understand VIN a little more

Ford would do about anything you wanted as long as you paid for it and it did not interfere with safety or emissions.
:D Only in America.

Back