In the dark

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
I took some pictures under the hood. As i know nothing about the Mustang i am in the dark as to what the 2 severed black pipes are and where they are supposed to attach to

20160628_142726.jpg

20160628_142734.jpg

20160628_142740.jpg

I took some pictures under the hood. As i know nothing about the Mustang i am in the dark as to what the 2 severed black pipes are and where they are supposed to attach to
Those hoses attach to the heater core. Chuck

Here's a shot of my 351C.

A is the location of the picture you sent - heater core.

B is one hose coming off the water pump.

C is one hose coming off the block.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You Tim for explanation and picture with pointers where the hose joins water pump and block.

The question i have now is; Where the hose has been cut on my car by the firewall it comes through the other side of firewall, inside the car, to the heater/AC. Right?

How easy is it to remove the hose from the heater/AC and attach new hose?

How much length of hose will i need and what size bore is the hose?

I'm just going to throw something out here but the guys with more experience should chime in. If those hoses were cut and the heater hose now forms a loop at Tim's point B and C it would be very likely that the previous owner cut the hoses at the firewall because the heater core was leaking and he did not want to fix it at that point.

So, Pegleg, I am wondering if when you attatch the hoses correctly there is a strong possibility that you will be leaking coolant into the passenger foot well in the car. If that is the case you may want to be prepared to put it back the way it was for now or get ready to fix the heater core.

Or am I over thinking this?

Heater Core is separate from the AC.

Protruding out of the firewall will be two metal tubes/ends of the heater core our hoses attach to that with hose clamps.

Just remove the one clamp and both bits of hose and you should see the ends of the heater core.

If the ends aren't damaged, rotted you should be good to go. Replacing the heat core can be time consuming.

I think the diameter is 1/2" or 3/4". I always get extra heater hose so I'd get two 4' pieces.

Tim

Good point!!!!

Yes that is exactly what the previous owned did. Of course I'm in AZ so I haven't need the heater so replacing the heater core is on the list of "to do's" and its a long....long....list!!

I'm just going to throw something out here but the guys with more experience should chime in. If those hoses were cut and the heater hose now forms a loop at Tim's point B and C it would be very likely that the previous owner cut the hoses at the firewall because the heater core was leaking and he did not want to fix it at that point.

So, Pegleg, I am wondering if when you attatch the hoses correctly there is a strong possibility that you will be leaking coolant into the passenger foot well in the car. If that is the case you may want to be prepared to put it back the way it was for now or get ready to fix the heater core.

Or am I over thinking this?

The guys are right, on all counts.

Loosen up those hose clamps, slip the leftovers off, and you should be able to slide on some new hoses without any issue. You should find a hose on the water pump that's been looped back into the water pump, or a hose inlet/outlet close by (maybe even somewhere on the intake manifold, if that's how the I-6s were plumbed). You'll need to run a pair of new hoses to/from those locations to the heater core fittings for it to work properly again.

However, the reason for them having been sliced is most likely a clogged or leaky heater core. It could simply just be clogged, or leaking, or maybe even both... you'll have to test to find out.

I remember pulling the heater core out of my Mom's '80 Dodge Dynasty because it wasn't heating up. The car smelled like coolant when running and typically ran warmer than it should... then I discovered a pinhole in the radiator. I replaced the radiator and noticed the heater still wasn't working, and hoses to/from the water pump seemed fine, so I pulled them and removed the heater core. When I put the garden hose up to one of the fittings and turn the hose on full blast, it took a second or two, but then this big blob of aluminum radiator 'stop-leak' came shooting out, and the water flowed fine afterward. I ran a bunch of water through the core and couldn't find any leaks or anything, so I tossed it back in the car and hooked it all back up. Mom had lots of heat for the cold days after that.

Hopefully, you'll get lucky too and won't have to remove the heater core. But even so, it's not really that big of a deal to do.

If you are not mechanic savy replacing the heater core is a pretty tough job for an amateur. Not saying you cannot do it but go to the search here and there are great videos from West Coast Cougar that give details of the work.

I see in the picture you are also missing the hose that goes from the vapor recovery to the air cleaner. The vapor recovery is the blue container just below the heater. Not an issue but that pulls the gas vapors from fuel tank. should be a rubber hose and you are missing a paper/foil/something hose that goes from the larger hook up to the air cleaner housing. See pic. The other black tin can with two rubber hoses is for vacuum to operate the heater / air cond. controls. When I change a heater / air cond. core I unbolt the dash and move it back and of course take the passenger seat out. Did I mention watch the videos, lol.

Also on the ends sticking out of the firewall

In case the heater core is good.

Remove the clamps and slice the hoses along the tube. Then carefully peel the hose off of the copper tube.

If you just twist it off you will probably break the tube end off.

I have an article from Mustang Monthly that has step by step instructions on how to replace a heater core - in a 60's something Mustang. It's in PDF form, don't know if I can load it up here or you can just PM me and I'll get it to you.

Tim

Also on the ends sticking out of the firewall

In case the heater core is good.

Remove the clamps and slice the hoses along the tube. Then carefully peel the hose off of the copper tube.

If you just twist it off you will probably break the tube end off.
Excellent point! ::thumb::

Good point!!!!

Yes that is exactly what the previous owned did. Of course I'm in AZ so I haven't need the heater so replacing the heater core is on the list of "to do's" and its a long....long....list!!
Thats where my car spent its life. So i would think that the A/C has had excess use and probably does leek.

Jeff told me " I think you need a vacuum solenoid on one of the hoses".

I was at a show and took some pics of a 1972 Mach 1. One of the hoses has been cut and something added. Is that what jeff was talking about?

1970-3.jpg

Jeff told me " I think you need a vacuum solenoid on one of the hoses".

I was at a show and took some pics of a 1972 Mach 1. One of the hoses has been cut and something added. Is that what jeff was talking about?
Nope. I mean a vacuum solenoid that is part of the ac/heat control - not a length of hose. I'll have to get you a picture or maybe someone has a shot of it (or I am completely wrong!)

Here is a pic of the valve itself. It is controlled by vacuum and opens and closes the valve to stop or open the flow of coolant to the heater core as you change the control from cool to warm inside the car.

image.jpg

Here is a pic of the valve itself. It is controlled by vacuum and opens and closes the valve to stop or open the flow of coolant to the heater core as you change the control from cool to warm inside the car.
Thank You...Where would the valve fit?

Back