Door cards

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
Whilst i was taking pics i took some close-ups of door cards. They are far worse than i remember!!!

Looking at how easy the vinyl has detached i was wondering if anyone had tried to remove vinyl and then put new vinyl on old door cards?

Nobody stocks correct color coded panels for 1971 Grande

20160628_143056.jpg

20160628_143201.jpg

Those look like someone has done work on them before

The original vinyl does not peel off like that nor is there thin loose sheet foam under there.

um. wow. THose are in really bad shape!! I'd have to agree with the peeling and all looks like they are not stock.

Looks like someone used flat head screws to attached the entire door panel to the door in a couple of spots and are those roofing nails holding what is left of the door card to the door in the top picture?

Yeah its i right bodge up.

The deluxe door panels are not available in green. However green is available on standard panels. I emailed a seller on Ebay and he says the door vinyl is differant to seat vinyl. He says door panels go in a 400 degree oven. So im stuck until i can find some used panels

Pegleg. unfortunately this is a problem our members with green interiors face on a daily basis. In the 70's these green interiors seem to be something the Big Three loved and was just about in everything they built. But like paisley print shirts and floral vinyl roofs they passed on.

Your door trim panels look to have had some very bad repairs and are way past being rescued at this point. Understandably the lack of 71-73 parts in your area forced a lot of repairs on things past their useful life.

At this point I would start with trying to find a used set of any color. There are some excellent vinyl dyes on the market now, and Don (OMS) may handle them. You can read from members previous posts that they had good luck with SEM brand spray paint products. You can check on NPD's site for a description. https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/interior_paint_spray_71_73_medium_green-141608-1.html

If a used panel in decent shape can't be found, I would once again contact Don (OMS) and see what repo panel he would suggest that could be dyed. Hopefully the quality has improved on these, as you have probably read in previous posts the fit and color match on the repo units have been typical of most repo parts.

Have you received your seat material samples from SMS yet? I'm sure you'll really like what you see. Like I said in an earlier post, I ordered some for my 71 5A Mach 1 and they were a perfect match!

Keep us posted! ::thumb::

The SMS samples came and they look perfect.::thumb:: :thankyouyellow:

I have literally just recieved a email from SMS. Doug at SMS asked for a picture of my door cards so i sent the pictures and he has mailed me back and HE HAS AGREED TO MAKE MY PANELS AS A ONE OFF CUSTOM ORDER :D:D:D:D:D

I told Doug i was a member of this site and other members were after the same level of restoration as me. So if anyone else wants to approach SMS I am sure you will have some luck.

Definitely keep those aluminum trim panels (with the wood grain vinyl). You can get the correct wood grain vinyl and refurbish those pieces with very little trouble. I think Don from OMS mentioned the correct replacement awhile back (if he doesn't have it himself).

I'm not a fan of wood grain myself, so I went with black carbon fiber. But, pulling the old vinyl off, cleaning up the panels, and re-applying the new vinyl is very simple to do. Just be careful when bending the tabs on the backs and make sure not to bend the panels themselves, and you'll be fine.

Definitely keep those aluminum trim panels (with the wood grain vinyl). You can get the correct wood grain vinyl and refurbish those pieces with very little trouble. I think Don from OMS mentioned the correct replacement awhile back (if he doesn't have it himself).

I'm not a fan of wood grain myself, so I went with black carbon fiber. But, pulling the old vinyl off, cleaning up the panels, and re-applying the new vinyl is very simple to do. Just be careful when bending the tabs on the backs and make sure not to bend the panels themselves, and you'll be fine.
Thanks for info and advice. I will PM Don

The SMS samples came and they look perfect.::thumb:: :thankyouyellow:

I have literally just recieved a email from SMS. Doug at SMS asked for a picture of my door cards so i sent the pictures and he has mailed me back and HE HAS AGREED TO MAKE MY PANELS AS A ONE OFF CUSTOM ORDER :D:D:D:D:D

I told Doug i was a member of this site and other members were after the same level of restoration as me. So if anyone else wants to approach SMS I am sure you will have some luck.
Pegleg, that is great to hear! Knew they manufactured some flat trim panels that looked good. A friend ordered some for his 63 Ford Galaxie XL, and when he received them, they looked as though they came from Ford. If they can do the molded style panels and they turn out ok for you, he can defiantly depend on some business from here!

Please keep us posted! ::thumb::

If they can do the molded style panels and they turn out ok for you, he can defiantly depend on some business from here!

Please keep us posted! ::thumb::
As soon as they arrive i will post lots of pictures so you all can make your own mind up. SMS, from what i've learned, are a large reputable company so i have confidence in the outcome. One thing for sure they go to great lengths to manufacture correct vinyl/cloth for Grande seats so thats where the confidence comes from ::thumb::

Back