71 429 cj vert engine tear down...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone put some custom washers and at least one of the outer main cap bolts on it...I'm amazed you didn't have (or maybe you did) 2 spun rod bearings, yikes, that's one special thermostat...but it matches that bulging bypass hose... you've got a very wiped out fulcrum and rocker, it's been bored .040 with forged TRW's in it....nylon timing sprocket with some slack in the chain, and whole buch of worn out mains.

What kind of shape are the heads in? Hope that crank is still useful...I'm sure something can be done to salvage it.

i'm not sure what your question is.

if you want build suggestions you can just ask.

if the block is rusty inside, you can just soak it in a mix of water and oxalic acid for around 3 days.

it was most likely out of balance also.

i'm not sure what your question is.

if you want build suggestions you can just ask.

if the block is rusty inside, you can just soak it in a mix of water and oxalic acid for around 3 days.

it was most likely out of balance also.

Last edited:
Someone put some custom washers and at least one of the outer main cap bolts on it...I'm amazed you didn't have (or maybe you did) 2 spun rod bearings, yikes, that's one special thermostat...but it matches that bulging bypass hose... you've got a very wiped out fulcrum and rocker, it's been bored .040 with forged TRW's in it....nylon timing sprocket with some slack in the chain, and whole buch of worn out mains.

What kind of shape are the heads in? Hope that crank is still useful...I'm sure something can be done to salvage it.

Last edited:
I've seen worse. Looks like you had a blown head gasket and someone changed a rear main seal during the life of the engine.

Save that thermostat, it is a thing of beauty!
Oh yeah, keeping that thermostat for prosperity...

Last edited:
Ahh yes the weaker "notched" rod. I think the football head bolts are also supposed to be 180ksi. I don't know how prolific they are, but I've seen the same football head rods in 460 truck engines. They should be pretty easy to get.

Ahh yes the weaker "notched" rod. I think the football head bolts are also supposed to be 180ksi. I don't know how prolific they are, but I've seen the same football head rods in 460 truck engines. They should be pretty easy to get.

[/

Last edited:
you need a new timing cover.

it was likely out of balance due to the different rods.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, agreed, new cover necessary. Good thought on the different rods causing the extensive overall engine wear.
the different rods would cause unusual engine wear . they would only cause some vibration if their weight/balance was different enough from the others or if they were not sized correctly.

they certainly shouldn't be blue from excessive heat like one is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, agreed, new cover necessary. Good thought on the different rods causing the extensive overall engine wear.
the different rods would cause unusual engine wear . they would only cause some vibration if their weight/balance was different enough from the others or if they were not sized correctly.

they certainly shouldn't be blue from excessive heat like one is.

Last edited:
Back