71 429 cj vert engine tear down...

Guest Pastel Blue

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. One more step in the process. Are you keeping it completely stock, or any tweaks planned?

Scott

I won't comment on this to much right now until we go through the engine and see where it is at after cleaning, measuring, proper inspections, etc. Upon a quick visual inspection of the block when I dropped it off this morning, the machinist raised a possible red flag concerning cyl #1... There may be a 3/8" crack in the lower portion of the cylinder wall, will have to wait and see until it is properly inspected.

Also, someone has done some previous "manual" deburring of the lower block - cylinder areas, maybe to allow for a stroke kit previously? It was not done professionally with the proper equipment, but they were definitely looking for some additional lower end cylinder wall area clearance. There was no evidence of a stroker set up in the engine when I got the car, but 44 years..., who knows. I will have to wait and see what he comes back with, but I did give him the green light to "build it right". We will review the options on what to install as the build progresses. I will know more once the crank is reviewed to see if it is usable, but I suspect a complete new rotating assembly is on tap. :whistling:

I will be having the engine initially run and broken in at the shop on their equipment after the rebuild; of course I will be there to document that start up ::thumb::

No clearancing required up to 4.5" stroke especially on an early block that has the shorter cylinders.

73 conv. 460, D0VE large valve heads, Performer RPM manifold, Voodoo 227/233 cam, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 trans, 3.25 trak-loc.

You couldn't pay me to stroke that engine in that rare of a car.

What exactly do you mean by "the crank is shot"?

429 crank for sale

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boss-429-Crankshaft-1969-1970-c9az-6303-c-/282139929356?hash=item41b0d9ab0c:g:pjUAAOSwddNXgWoQ&vxp=mtr

rods

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/esp-6605f3d/overview/make/ford

Guest Pastel Blue

You couldn't pay me to stroke that engine in that rare of a car.

What exactly do you mean by "the crank is shot"?

429 crank for sale

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boss-429-Crankshaft-1969-1970-c9az-6303-c-/282139929356?hash=item41b0d9ab0c:g:pjUAAOSwddNXgWoQ&vxp=mtr

rods

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/esp-6605f3d/overview/make/ford

[/quote

Guest Pastel Blue

Two crank journals chewed up beyond reasonable service limits...

Easy deal...weld the crank journals, they do it to hundreds of cranks a day in the US.

?......

• 3 weeks later...

If I ever get to build a new engine, I want to have the new piston's tops ceramic coated. This would -

REASON # 1 – Overall Thermal Barrier protection

REASON # 2 – Reduction in overall operating temperatures

REASON # 3 – Increases component life by reducing friction and heat

REASON # 4 – Perfect for High horsepower applications such as turbo’s & superchargers

REASON # 5 – Protection against galling and other damage on metal to metal contact

REASON # 6 – Increases in performance

REASON # 7 – Protection from stressful environments such as racing

REASON # 8 – Protects Piston rings from Radial tension Loss

REASON # 9 – Protection against hot spots by increasing flame propagation

REASON # 10 – Helps to scavenge heat from the motor more quickly

mustang7173

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" -- John Wayne

Guest Pastel Blue

If I ever get to build a new engine, I want to have the new piston's tops ceramic coated. This would -

REASON # 1 – Overall Thermal Barrier protection

REASON # 2 – Reduction in overall operating temperatures

REASON # 3 – Increases component life by reducing friction and heat

REASON # 4 – Perfect for High horsepower applications such as turbo’s & superchargers

REASON # 5 – Protection against galling and other damage on metal to metal contact

REASON # 6 – Increases in performance

REASON # 7 – Protection from stressful environments such as racing

REASON # 8 – Protects Piston rings from Radial tension Loss

REASON # 9 – Protection against hot spots by increasing flame propagation

REASON # 10 – Helps to scavenge heat from the motor more quickly

mustang7173

Lots of

Nice progress.

I agree on sleeving all 8 cylinders given your goals and desire to save the block.

I think I would replace the repaired head though. If they had to use waterglass to seal the head, this repair can later fail. I would not want to wonder if maybe it was leaking 2 ore 3 years down the road and have to go back and tear into it.

Just my opinion, but please at least research and discuss it further.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

Guest Pastel Blue

Nice progress.

I agree on sleeving all 8 cylinders given your goals and desire to save the block.

I think I would replace the repaired head though. If they had to use waterglass to seal the head, this repair can later fail. I would not want to wonder if maybe it was leaking 2 ore 3 years down the road and have to go back and tear into it.

Just my opinion, but please at least research and discuss it further.

Great thoughts on the direction you are going here. I am not an engine expert, but from what I do know I agree that you were on the mark sleeving it. Keep the original block and don't worry about cooking it. Does ever get that hot north of the border though?? Just kidding. Thanx for the updates as you progress and great pictures to follow along.

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)