Grille and bumper questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneAngryDwrf

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach1 351C 2v
Greetings All,

Couple of quick questions for you all.

I just installed a repro grille from CJ pony parts last night, but I noticed that the whole grille is a little bit off kilter. The gap between the hood and grille is not even on both sides. One side seems higher than the other. As the mounting points are set in the light bezels, is there a way to adjust this to look more even gapping on both sides?

Second question. The passenger side of the bumper is lower than on the driver side. Again, I'm not seeing much in the way of adjustment for how it sets on the front of the car in relation to the fenders. Any thoughts on this? Having these set unevenly just annoys me...

3010ti0.jpg

Thanks in advance!

OAD

OneAngryDwrf,

I would recommend to loosen up the left and right side headlight buckets and related brackets to help with the grill adjustments.

The front bumper I have pictured is from the 1971 1972 mustang. The 1973 has a similar mounting point. I would recommend to loosen up the mounting to the frame. Also, the 1973 bumper mount to the arms have adjustments.

2pzjwvr.jpg

2z9d5dt.jpg

source: Ford Master Parts Catalog - CR: May 1975

mustang7173

The front bumper mounts to a pair of plates on the end of the brackets. If you can't loosen and adjust out the gaps, you can do one of two things, wallow out theholes in the bracket to gain a bit of adjustment, or try and loosen the mounts at the frame and move one or both of thebrackets a bit to help with the alignment. The bracket to frame bolts on mine were pretty much frozen solid and one bolt sheared-nothing else on my car bolt wise was siezed up this badly, so I would start with the bumper to bracket attachment plates.

The bumper is pretty heavy, so help or jack stands are a good idea.

Thanks for the insights everyone. I will give it a shot this afternoon.

Really appreciate it!

Regards,

OAD

Success!

So, I worked on the grille and bumper adjustments this morning and I am happy to report a resounding success. Both the light bucket and bumper each needed some coaxing (via the jack and some brute force) and it's all lined up nicely now.

Thanks for the support everyone!

106ge20.jpg

2yzkhnm.jpg

Regards,

OAD

Back