headliner looks great

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilermaster

Reaction score
My Car
71 fastback
Ok folks,

Had my autobody guy install my headliner Friday (looks Great)

Almost had to force some cash at the guy , apparently I had tought his kids archery years ago and he never that deed.

Have new carpet and seat upholstery as well as all of the soft trim including the closed cell foam for rear window and roof drip rails.

What is my next move here ?.

pretty sure I have to have drip rails so I can install quarter windows.

I have zero parts for the roof line drip rails and I do not even know what I need.

I see that the roof line drip rails and clips can be had aftermarket, however it looks like they are one piece and after looking at the tutorial, I see lots of pieces.

PLEASE HELP

I need order of re-assembly, what is available aftermarket and what is not.

OEM part numbers would be a plus.

Fear not about me doing a poor job on this, my autobody buddy

had 3 boys that I taught archery to and I was informed, I have two more to use up.

Boilermaster

Nice deal with the favors. I'm afraid I cant be much help with the drip rails though. I can tell you from experience with the new carpet. Measure 5 times and cut once. I cut mine about a 1/2" short in two spots up front so it is not quite covered by the kick panels, very hard to see unless you are really looking but I know its there.

Ok folks,

Had my autobody guy install my headliner Friday (looks Great)

Almost had to force some cash at the guy , apparently I had tought his kids archery years ago and he never that deed.

Have new carpet and seat upholstery as well as all of the soft trim including the closed cell foam for rear window and roof drip rails.

What is my next move here ?.

pretty sure I have to have drip rails so I can install quarter windows.

I have zero parts for the roof line drip rails and I do not even know what I need.

I see that the roof line drip rails and clips can be had aftermarket, however it looks like they are one piece and after looking at the tutorial, I see lots of pieces.

PLEASE HELP

I need order of re-assembly, what is available aftermarket and what is not.

OEM part numbers would be a plus.

Fear not about me doing a poor job on this, my autobody buddy

had 3 boys that I taught archery to and I was informed, I have two more to use up.

Boilermaster
Well, we need to sort the terminology. The drip rails are a 1 piece unit per side that go on first. There is not much of a trick to installing as they snap and screw right on. Reproductions are readily available.

After the drip rail comes the foam the the "weatherstrip channel" as I call it. This is an aluminum extrusion that separates into 2 pieces per side. It will go from mid way up the front of the door jamb, over the entire window opening, and tuck into the c-pillar area where the 1/4 window resides. That channel holds the rubber seal for the front and rear glass seals. The weatherstrip channel is not reproduced, so you need to find used. It too screws into place and is a pretty intuitive install.

Let me know if I can clarify any of that.

kcmash

Thanks Kcmash,

Looks like I need weather strip channels for both sides (4 pieces )

for a fastback.

any chance front pieces are the same for coupe/Grande ?

I too would like to get the terminology correct (was hoping to do that with part numbers so I could put a post in the wanted to buy section.

Feel like a dufus for knowing so little about body, oh well my body guy knows nothing about drivetrain.

Boilermaster

Thanks Kcmash,

Looks like I need weather strip channels for both sides (4 pieces )

for a fastback.

any chance front pieces are the same for coupe/Grandé ?

I too would like to get the terminology correct (was hoping to do that with part numbers so I could put a post in the wanted to buy section.

Feel like a dufus for knowing so little about body, oh well my body guy knows nothing about drivetrain.

Boilermaster
Not sure on the coupe grande fit of the front pieces. I would check with Don at Ohio Mustang Supply, or Mike at Motor City Mustangs for the parts.

Looks like the main run is a D1ZB-6351238-9 (512A66 in the Mustang Restoration guide)Retainer Assembly Roof Sd Rail W/Strip. (Note:the "63" following the dash indicates the fastback model, if it is a "65" in that spot it should be for a coupe.)

The front Piece is a D1ZB-6502594-5 Ret assy-Frt Body Pillar W/Strip.( appears to be universal for Fastback or Coupe. ( I have one spare piece of one of these, I believe it is for the drivers side. $25) PM me if you want it.

kcmash

Thanks again Kcmash,

part numbers I can do.

will check with the vendors you suggested and get back to you.

Boilermaster

Uber fine wright up 72HCODE

Going to have to do an in depth study of that thread.

Do you perhaps know if coupe/ Grande front pieces are the same ?

plan on getting ahold of the vendors KC mentioned.

Boilermaster

As far as the hard parts go (drip rails, interior trim pieces, etc.) the coupes, 'verts, and sportroofs are all different. The reason for the difference between the coupe & sportsroof is because the sportsroofs have a shorter profile (the roof is taller on a coupe) - 'verts are just different animals altogether when it comes to windshield frame and trim pieces in that area.

The reproduction pieces (like the ones offered from OMS) are quality units, although a little thinner and easier to bend/distort than the factory pieces. If your originals are useable (just need to be cleaned up), that's probably your best bet. If they don't come back to shiny with just a good cleaning, you might need to remove the factory anodized clear coat and polish them to bring back the luster. That [polishing the metal pieces] will be an occasional thing to do once the clear coat has been removed. There's a write-up on how to do that on the site as well.

Mister 4x4,

Never had any original pieces,

that's why I am struggling to figure how to put it all back together.

Boilermaster

Gotcha!

Like I said, the OMS pieces are great - I replaced all of mine with repops, and as long as you're careful, you shouldn't have to worry about any creasing or distortion during installation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks fella's,

Called and talked with Don at Ohio Mustang supply yesterday.

He stated that he would check and get back to me today,

and guess what, he did.

Don stated that he had all the parts I needed , some new some used at a fair price and will ship tomorrow and provide a tracking number.

Don was a very pleasant man to talk to and with Zero attitude.

He told me what to pay attention to and even called back to offer a few more suggestions.

Will wait and see what I get , guessing Don has a lot of repeat customers.

Boilermaster

Don is a great guy and always goes the extra mile to help out everybody. I needed some quarter panel replacement skins and they were going to take awhile to get to me (supplier was back-ordered or something), but he pulled some strings somehow with someone somewhere and there was a truck pulling up in front of my house the next day with them. He's Da Man! ::thumb::

Well,

I received all my parts from Don @ Ohio Mustang yesterday.

I spent my evening after work cleaning the 45 year old remnants from the britework and re- flattening the screw holes and such, then polishing the used pieces.

They did clean up quite nicely.

I proceeded this evening with the install of the passenger side , all done except for a little adjustment of the quarter window, (hits very top of front window just slightly.

Hoping to finish left side tomorrow evening.

72 Hcodes Tutorial was a complete blessing, even took this PC out to the garage to micro study His install.

I see rear interior done by this weekend.

Boilermaster

Back