Fuel injection

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1mama

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1, 351 cleveland cobra jet engine. Gold glow, ginger interior. Long tube headers. completely rebuilt engine. Forged piston, roller rockers. lifters. Comp cams. Edelbrook carb and intake. Trush mufflers stainless steele custom exhaust. Added air conditioning, SSBC disc brakes. Rebuilt transmittion. pretty much anything you can do and a BUNCH of body work, functional not cosmetic.
So I am considering switching out my carburetor for a fuel injection system. I was wondering if anyone has done that.

Yes and love it. It does take some work but starts easier and runs better. The Professional Products unit we used controls timing as well but I think we would go with the Holley or MSD next time. I think there are several on here that have made the swap

Yeah, I installed the MSD Atomic EFI that is also controlling timing. I can start the car and drive off without it hesitating even when the temps are in the 30's. I normally let it idle a few minutes before starting off though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I guess it is okay[WINKING FACE] But regarding this issue, I am still on to the karburator. Because of regulation of it here in Denmark. Which means that you have to keep it as originally as possible. You can only do 2 things with the car. Because of Veteran status. This means that you can't get it to a low cost price at in my case 670 x 2 Danish kroner. Which means I have true my insurance company right to drive from March 15- Oktober 30. But only drive it 6000 km a year. Which I will keep it in [WINKING FACE] Because if I would do too much to it. The price of my Mustang would drop. But I Like the idea of the those [WINKING FACE][THUMBS UP SIGN] Regards Lars

Sendt fra min E2303 med Tapatalk

Yeah, I installed the MSD Atomic EFI that is also controlling timing. I can start the car and drive off without it hesitating even when the temps are in the 30's. I normally let it idle a few minutes before starting off though.
Does this upgrade make a differance to fuel consumption? Not looking to change my set up in my present car but would consider doing it to the next one.

Does this upgrade make a differance to fuel consumption? Not looking to change my set up in my present car but would consider doing it to the next one.
I made a lot of changes so hard to tell what made the difference but this is what I saw:

Original in 1973

351C 4V with headers only mod.

C6

3.25 non posi

Fuel avg 10/12 mpg

Today

351C with EFI, 10.5 : 1 compression and performance Cam, Blue Thunder Intake and headers.

C6 with Gear Vendors

3.89 posi rear

Fuel avg 14/18 mpg

This is in the first 1200 miles of driving since rebuild.

jbojo, it's the GV that got you the gas milage. I went from 7mpg to 10mpg with the GV change.

A long time ago I put a holley analog projection on and it was okay. The newer systems are much more sophisticated.

Pegleg - Jbojo and I have similar setups. He has a bigger cam and 3.89 instead of 3.50 but otherwise pretty close except for the air/fuel system. He gets better gas milage than I do. He's probably spent more time fine tuning it since he drives it more. Of course, having three carbs on my car doesn't help.

I just can't see doing that to my 351C - might as well get a LSX and put in it.
The only thing I would have done differently would be to put the ignition box (6AL) and the Atomic controller in the glove box like I did with the GV controller. I may do this down the road.

IMG_0426.JPG

jbojo, it's the GV that got you the gas milage. I went from 7mpg to 10mpg with the GV change.

A long time ago I put a holley analog projection on and it was okay. The newer systems are much more sophisticated.

Pegleg - Jbojo and I have similar setups. He has a bigger cam and 3.89 instead of 3.50 but otherwise pretty close except for the air/fuel system. He gets better gas milage than I do. He's probably spent more time fine tuning it since he drives it more. Of course, having three carbs on my car doesn't help.
Damn!!!! 7-10mpg Thats unreal when you consider what modern soulless cars get mpg. Still, i would rather have a Mustang with soul & character

Damn!!!! 7-10mpg Thats unreal when you consider what modern soulless cars get mpg. Still, i would rather have a Mustang with soul & character
Haha, yeah. The 'lower' rear endgearing will kill gas milage. The GV overdrive really helped but probably won't pay for itself in saved fuel since I don't drive it more than a couple thousand miles a year (if that). But the OD also really makes it more pleasureable to drive, especially on the highways.

The tripower doesn't help either. I am actually 'over carbureted' and I haven't had the time to tune it. I could probably squeeze another mile or two out of it.

If I went fuel injection I would have to make it sexy. Something like this:

Ford-351-Cleveland-V8-Stack-Injection-Kit_3495.jpg

or this

crossram3.jpg

I just can't see doing that to my 351C - might as well get a LSX and put in it.
The only thing I would have done differently would be to put the ignition box (6AL) and the Atomic controller in the glove box like I did with the GV controller. I may do this down the road.
Well...it does look pretty!!!!!::thumb::

I made a lot of changes so hard to tell what made the difference but this is what I saw:

Original in 1973

C6

3.25 non posi

Fuel avg 10/12 mpg

Today

351C with EFI, 10.5 : 1 compression and performance Cam, Blue Thunder Intake and headers.

C6 with Gear Vendors

3.89 posi rear

Fuel avg 14/18 mpg

What duration is your cam, if you don't mind my asking? It seems that some systems are better equipped to handle long duration/higher overlap cams than others. On the ranchero forum, one guy was unable to get the FiTech system to work with his ~290/300 deg cam.... I gathered it wasn't able to correctly set the a/f ratio at low speed due to the unburned fuel resulting from a lot of overlap/duration in the cam.

Will-e/Tim,

Being that both of you are in AZ, do either of you have problems with your carbs hot soaking and flooding out in the summer heat?
I don't drive it a lot in the summer now but I never had this problem back when it was my daily driver. At the time I was running a 3310 holley and then a projection unit.

My Fitech unit should be here in the next week or two and then I can give you some insight. I've heard nothing but good things about it though. I'm running a 429, 5 speed and 3.25 gears at the moment which is netting me 21-22 mpgs on the highway. Practically every review I've seen on the Fitech has gained another 2 to 4 mpg for the owner so I expect the same. Of course when I drop in the 521, who knows what will happen lol.

Original in 1973

C6

3.25 non posi

Fuel avg 10/12 mpg

Today

C6 with Gear Vendors

3.89 posi rear

Fuel avg 14/18 mpg

What duration is your cam, if you don't mind my asking? It seems that some systems are better equipped to handle long duration/higher overlap cams than others. On the ranchero forum, one guy was unable to get the FiTech system to work with his ~290/300 deg cam.... I gathered it wasn't able to correctly set the a/f ratio at low speed due to the unburned fuel resulting from a lot of overlap/duration in the cam.
RPM Range: 2500-6800

Advertised Duration: 290/290

Duration @ .050: 225/235

Lift: .530/.550

Lobe Center: 110

MSD EFI does not like durations greater than 250* @ .050, probably the same for FiTech.

My Fitech unit should be here in the next week or two and then I can give you some insight. I've heard nothing but good things about it though. I'm running a 429, 5 speed and 3.25 gears at the moment which is netting me 21-22 mpgs on the highway. Practically every review I've seen on the Fitech has gained another 2 to 4 mpg for the owner so I expect the same. Of course when I drop in the 521, who knows what will happen lol.
The FITECH unit is the one I am the most interested in. You will have to let me know how the installation goes. Did you choose to change your fuel pump as well, or are you going to use the adapter that goes in engine campartment?

Back