Steering Wheel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
I found a steering wheel on Ebay. On the whole it looks to be in good condition. There are a few marks where it has been held whilst the owner has used it. Can you tell me if these marks can be taken out and if so the best way to tackle it. Heres the link to the wheel which has some good close-up shots;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262504176944?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Theres also a horn pad from a differant seller. So my question for this item is the same as the ones above;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301812616181?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and its a shame about these woodgrain door inserts. Theres a very small piece of the woodgrain missing(last picture) otherwise these could have been perfect with the black paint re-done;

i know there are steering wheel repair kits or re-fab's on the mkt.. never needed one or looked for one. so i don't know where to look, but i understand they are out there.

Pegleg,

Did not know they existed. I would send them an e-mail asking about restoring the steering. It sure would not hurt.

mustang7173
I just emailed them. Looking at there prices is just over $500 for a refurb. Not sure what shipping both ways would be but i bet i wouldnt get much change out of $650 rofl

I knew going down the concours route was going to be a long and expensive journey but definately worth it when i picture the end result in my mind. :D

Best in Show Wheels in CA

That is probably who I'll have do mine. comparable pricing

I have seen 3-4 examples of their work and I have been impressed. I have also talked to guys that have used Best in Show Wheels in CA. Everyone has been very happy with their work.

Ray

13509117_849310918503306_6647515810731099798_n.jpg

13516633_849310751836656_4430429867402399381_n.jpg

Best in Show Wheels in CA

That is probably who I'll have do mine. comparable pricing

I have seen 3-4 examples of their work and I have been impressed. I have also talked to guys that have used Best in Show Wheels in CA. Everyone has been very happy with their work.

Ray
I will check them out if they got a website. lol How did we get on with it before the internet :huh:

Pegleg,

Did not know they existed. I would send them an e-mail asking about restoring the steering. It sure would not hurt.

mustang7173
I just emailed them. Looking at there prices is just over $500 for a refurb. Not sure what shipping both ways would be but i bet i wouldnt get much change out of $650 rofl

I knew going down the concours route was going to be a long and expensive journey but definately worth it when i picture the end result in my mind. :D
Trust me, its expensive... and with my being just outside the US of A, I still have to pay all those exuberant gov. fees, duties, $$ exchange, additional shipping costs, etc.... You reach a point where you don't even look at the bills anymore..., I will count it up when I am all done.

1971-ford-mustang-pastel-blue-pulled from barn.jpg

vert71 garage ready for sound deadener appl. (2).jpg

Pegleg,

mustang7173

Trust me, its expensive... and with my being just outside the US of A, I still have to pay all those exuberant gov. fees, duties, $$ exchange, additional shipping costs, etc.... You reach a point where you don't even look at the bills anymore..., I will count it up when I am all done.
Yeah...Shipping costs plus 20% VAT plus 5% Import duty. The tax is also paid on the shipping costs. I made the decision not to bother looking at how much parts cost. If i need a part i need it and the cost does not matter as long as the car is concours when i am done. I ordered some sample material from SMS and now i can already see in my mind the interior finish and i seen pictures of a Grabber Lime. Its that picture in my mind that drives the restoration and my wallet.

::thumb:: Great pictures you posted :coolphotos:

Pegleg,

mustang7173

Where's NAFTA when you need it :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Where's NAFTA when you need it :p
That hasn't worked out for any country... I would be happy with a true classic mustang vendor here in Ontario or even Canada... We had a couple good ones up until the mid 90's, they shut down. It generally is not the price of parts that is the issue, just all the other $$ grabs by parties wanting a piece of the action. Our useless care bear Trudeau $$ doesn't help, but according to him, don't worry, be happy. :shootself:

Last edited:
Going back a couple of years,

i had a guy who walked up to me in the street when i was out and about, and he was admiring my '73 Vert, and was paying me compliments about how great the car was. He also added to his comments, I HOPE YOU'VE GOT DEEP POCKETS, BECAUSE YOU'RE GOING TO NEED THEM!

We both laughed together at this point, and i responded by totally agreeing with him. Looking back, he never said a truer word, as my wallet keeps on getting hammered as each year goes on.

The bottom line is owning a classic American car in another country outside of the USA is an expensive concept. In many, many cases, owners end up putting money into their cars that they will never see or get back again. I know i certainly have done that. But as many have said before, it's your life, it's your money, it's a free country, and you have the right to spend it in any fashion you choose to. If the rewards, pleasures or benefits justify and out weigh the parting company with your hard earned swiftly going cash, then i guess it was all worth it. Enjoy!

Greg.:)

Back