Electrode distance spark plug

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hightower

Reaction score
My Car
Since April 2014 I'm the owner of a 1972 Convertible, built in August 1971, with 302-2V engine, bright red paint, Mach 1 decor group, C-4 Cruise-O-Matic Transmission. Meanwhile engine was changed: 351-4V and colour is dark red.
High guys,

what should be the spark plugs electrode distance in a 351 C 4V? I'm using Motorcraft SP-450, ASF42C with MSD 6AL and Power Blaster 2.

Thanks for your help.

Claus

I red that MSD recommends to increase electrods distance by 0,010 -0,020 inches. Do you have experience with that? What is the effect?

I red that MSD recommends to increase electrods distance by 0,010 -0,020 inches. Do you have experience with that? What is the effect?
The MSD box produces a more powerful spark than the stock system. This allows for a wider gap which in turn produces a larger initial flame. A larger initial flame propagates faster than a smaller one allowing for a faster and more complete burn of the mixture. This can result in a bit more power and a slight increase in gas mileage. How much to increase the gap is subject to many variables. Keep in mind that with use, the gap of the plug increases. It is a trail and error process to determine optimal gap.

Chuck

I have never had much luck running the bigger gap whether with an HEI module or the MSD I currently have.

.035 seems to work just fine but as Chuck suggests, experimentation to find just what your engine likes is the only way to find out.

Back