engine break-in on 93 octane or race fuel?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rumbloki

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
Finally getting close to starting the '73. My plan is to start is with 26* BTDC, adjust with vacuum gauge, and take it to 2600 RPM for 15 minutes. The build is a 351C, DOAE heads, 11:1, Lunati Bracket Master II hydro 290/300, Lift .536/.562, Speed Demon 750, RPM Air Gap, Hookers, 2.5" Pypes.

Edit: also has Mallory 6AL, Holley Blue fuel pump, Edelbrock water pump, Griffin radiator, and Mark VIII fan.

Is it safe to do the break-in with 93 octane or do I need race fuel?

Is there anything wrong with my break-in procedure?

Thanks,

Alton

Last edited by a moderator:
26 initial is way too much . you need around 26 at 2000 rpm

is the cam a roller?

As insurance I'd use a 50/50 mix of 93 with something like VP C10 or C20. If you meant total mechanical timing of 26 degrees, I'd increase that to 34-36 degrees total mechanical advance. Do everything you can to ensure a quick clean start and run in (known good carb with bowls full, proper timing, adequate cooling, known good ignition, proper timing). Start and run for about 20 minutes occasionally varying rpm between 2000 and 4000 RPM.

Let us know how it goes. Chuck

Use a break in oil for use with a flat tappet cam. The oil will have increased levels of ZDDP. One example is Brad Penn break in oil. Use oil suitable for a flat tappet cam thereafter. Chuck

When I had my engine dyno'd they recommended to use Mystic 15W 40 after the break in oil. Apparently he runs this in both of his 1000+ HP BBF engines due to higher levels of Zinc. Best part is fleet farm sells this oil for 58$ for 5 gallons with a 20 rebate

Back