FRONT SPOILER abs OR FIBERGLASS?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NG8264723

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang f code MACHI
Purchased in 1997 or so
So I was going to purchase a spoiler for my 73. Should i buy a ABS or fiberglass? Which fits better?

The original was not fiberglass. I don't think the original was ABS either would break too easy. They were pretty flexible to prevent breaking on parking curbs. If I remember correct they were about $18.00 new from the parts dept. I have one NOS left in the hoard for one of my cars.

I would think fiberglass would vary in size more than a molded part.

Go with the ABS. They can handle curb and parking damage where fiberglass will break or shatter.

Sounds good but are they all the same? Is there a better fit unit?

Don at Oms sent me a pm letting me know there is some new spoiler on the market now so apparently there is a difference now.

how hard is it to paint the abs silver

thanks mongos CJ::thumb::

So I was going to purchase a spoiler for my 73. Should i buy a ABS or fiberglass? Which fits better?
ABS has more flex and is more forgiving .

Fiberglass is more rigid and will break an crack easily when bumped on curb stops.

ABS comes pre finished in black.

Both are reparable .

only real issue I've seen with the ABS is it is harder to get the paint to stick to it even with flex additive to make it argent.

one buddy of mine had it painted and the paint kept peeling off so he bombed it with krylon plastic fusion paint that was close to the right silver color and the paint finally stuck to it. the color does not 100% match his rockers but it looks good.

If yo paint it treat it like an interior plastic part.

Scrub it aggressively with dawn soap and a red scotch right.

Then wipe it down with interior with vinyl prep.

Spray it with SEM interior type paint.

Thanks Rodney from SW Florida

Back