SMS Bill for interior

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
This is the cost of my interior from SMS. There's $450 on top for shipping. Then there's 25% of total for import charges,

The last 2 items are material for my seats. So i still got to factor in the cost of seat foam and the cost of getting the seat covers made.

SMS.PNG

This is the cost of my interior from SMS. Theres $450 on top for shipping. Then theres 25% of total for import charges,

The last 2 items are material for my seats. So i still got to factor in the cost of seat foam and the cost of getting the seat covers made.
If you did not yet order, why not check out TMI products at www.tmiproducts.com they make stuff ready made and the quality is very good. Just a thought and would save you some work and added expense.

Geoff.

This is the cost of my interior from SMS. Theres $450 on top for shipping. Then theres 25% of total for import charges,

Yep... I refuse to add up my bills to date for parts I have purchased for my restoration since I got the car less then one year ago. If I wasn't trying to do a factory original resto, I could save thousands...

The cost of the door panel on your invoice has me wondering... is this for one panel? Seems a tad on the high side.I hope these are the décor interior panels... Cheers.

Last edited:
Hey Steve,

We'll have to start calling ourselves Dr Smith, as owning a classic American car, can severely do major damage to your wallet!:shootself::shootself: ( If you don't live in America)

So from Dr Smith to you, Dr Smith - I FEEL YOUR PAIN.

Greg.:p

Peg leg...MOCGB member Ronfenton of www.stsimports.co.uk brings in Containers from Florida to the UK. You can get your parts delivered to his Florida address and collect them from Braintree in Essex or he can forward them on to you. Much more cost effective and great for larger items.

Also it is my understanding that SMS hold stocks of the factory original fabrics & vinyls whereas TMI only offer 'Repro' lookalike materials.

Yeah, that's the downside of driving a classic American car in Europe. Horrendous shipping costs and import taxes that include the shipping as a base for calculation.

Some companies are worse than others though.

Summit (although I love them) charge a default shipping amount for every single item you put in the basket.

(Forget about "free shipping" here.)

Example: I order a bunch of suspension parts and an AOD crossmember and I get a quote for shipping costs. Then I remember I need three LED bulbs for my Auto Aeter gauges and add them to the order..... And the shipping costs go up.

Those three tiny LEDS don't make the slightest difference inside that huge and heavy box but still I pay shipping on them.

At the same time I bought other stuff for my AOD from PATC and they did not give me a quote on shipping but sent the box out and charged my credit card after the fact with the real price.

Although both boxes were very similar in both size and weight the one from PATC cost less than half for shipping than the one from Summit.

Simply because Summit plays it safe and collects a default amount on each item and PATC charged my card with the exact amount.

So next time you guys in the US order from Summit and enjoy your free shipping on orders above 99$, remember that guys like us over here pay for your shipping.

You're welcome. :)

I remember CJ Pony Parts having quite fair shipping costs too.

That's a pretty reasonable price for the seat insert material. Last year they quoted me $150/yd for my 73 blue comfortweave material. I would need 3 yds to do front and back.

Is that NOS windlace? Forget about reproduction windlace since it has no relation shapewise or material-wise to the original.

If you did not yet order, why not check out TMI products at www.tmiproducts.com they make stuff ready made and the quality is very good. Just a thought and would save you some work and added expense.

Geoff.
SMS do the correct material for the deluxe seats and nobody makes 4R green deluxe door panels so the door panels are a special order.

Yep... I refuse to add up my bills to date for parts I have purchased for my restoration since I got the car less then one year ago. If I wasn't trying to do a factory original resto, I could save thousands...

The cost of the door panel on your invoice has me wondering... is this for one panel? Seems a tad on the high side.I hope these are the décor interior panels... Cheers.
Its both panels and a special order, Deluxe door and green

Peg leg...MOCGB member Ronfenton of www.stsimports.co.uk brings in Containers from Florida to the UK. You can get your parts delivered to his Florida address and collect them from Braintree in Essex or he can forward them on to you. Much more cost effective and great for larger items.
Yeah i already spoke with Ron at STS around a month ago. When i order everything for the exterior of the car i will contact Ron. The exterior is not going to cheap. All the chrome is being replaced and the grill, wiper arms, bumpers, badges, window surrounds hood and front fender chrome extensions, drip rail chrome, Vinyl roof chrome. I think there was more bits and it came to around $2,500 before shipping.

I still need to spend around $1,500 on interior bits and i know the A/C needs refurb. I am hopefully going to get everything for interior shipped in one go from a vendor that will store everything as i get it then send it all off to Ron at STS

That's a pretty reasonable price for the seat insert material. Last year they quoted me $150/yd for my 73 blue comfortweave material. I would need 3 yds to do front and back.

Is that NOS windlace? Forget about reproduction windlace since it has no relation shapewise or material-wise to the original.
Its not NOS. Doug at SMS knows i am doing Concourse and i am assuming he would not sell me windlace if it wasn't right for my needs. Will find out in around 8-9 weeks when it gets here.

Geoff.
SMS do the correct material for the deluxe seats and nobody makes 4R green deluxe door panels so the door panels are a special order.
If you're doing it right or a concours resto, then pay the big bucks. If it's a weekend driver as mine is, then I found the TMI stuff acceptable. Would I like to do it with original materials, absolutely, if I were into the judging scene. It comes down to choice and money.

Your car will look awesome when finished in Grabber Lime.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased the gray banding and the comfortweave from SMS and then shipped all of that off to TMI to sew up the seat covers using their black vinyl. I was planning to use the TMI deluxe door panels so the black on the seat will match the black on the door card. All said for the materials, TMI covers and foams it was not a cheap venture but worth it in my opinion. I understand green can be a bit more of a challenge. Hope the exchange rate is favoring you right now.

P1010463.JPG

P1010457.JPG

That's not a bad off shore price then...

That's not a bad off shore price then...
What color is your car in Pictures. Green or Lime?

The door panels seem pretty cheap when you see the headliner was 259.00 ??? I would question that one

I wasn't going to say anything but that has been bugging me all day

Back