need help toubleshooting a mechanical issue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertable
302 v2 FMX 2.79 rear end
I’m looking for suggestion on trying to troubleshoot what I think is a Transmission issue with my 72’

The Car Idles perfect, I can rev the engine up when in Park or Neutral with no issues (3k-4k RPM), as soon as I put it in Drive or Reverse it still idles fine and roles with no issues, but if I step on the accelerator I lose power in Fw and Rev, and the car is almost about to stall, but its fine as soon as I let go if the peddle.

Climbing up hill it dies out, and the engine sound like it’s about to stall, and as before as soon as I take the load off the engine it idles fine.

Now rolling down hill it roles great and I pick up speed, but as soon as I press the accelerator I lose power and it’s about to stall.

Going uphill maybe 1 MPH and sounding like it’s about to blow up, and on flat ground 10-15 MPH at Idle, but I can’t increase the RPM’s without it about to die out.

I checked the transmission oil, its full, I have never changed the oil and filter in the trans since I’ve owned it (14 yrs 25k miles)

Or could it be the Torque converter?

Any suggestions to check will be great

I think I would start by making sure the carburetor is getting enough fuel. It requires a lot more fuel to move and accelerate the car than just the engine with no load.

I figured it it out, once Don C. said fuel, I found the choke was stuck closed, the linkage fell apart.

Its taking off smooth, and acceleration is quick!!

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I figured it it out, once Don C. said fuel, I found the choke was stuck closed, the linkage fell apart.

Thanks

Rats! I was going to give you $200 for a non-running car and take that thing off your hands! Maybe next time!::devil::

kcmash

Thanks

Rats! I was going to give you $200 for a non-running car and take that thing off your hands! Maybe next time!:[emoji317]:

kcmash
Nice try. Lol

Maybe next time

Back