Power Steering leaks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72 Green Hornet 4sp

Reaction score
My Car
72 green/green CJ 4sp PW AC
Hi I have a 72 Mach 1 with a 4 speed. After I drive it and park it there is a lot of PS fluid underneath it (remember its a 4sp) I got underneath of it and nothing looks damp. It does have the optional factory PS cooler. Anybody ever had a situation where the PS fluid leaks out but you can't see where it coming from-Thanks

Had a problem after I replaced PS hoses. Return hoses were always damp with fluid and year later they started splitting at the clamps. Google the SAE numbers on the hose and found the parts store gave me 3/8 gas line that doesn't play well with oils and biodiesel.

If nothing looks wet, it must be dripping straight to the ground. I would try to estimate the location, such as near the back or front of the engine to give you a starting point. It could be seals on either the gear or the pump, hose connections, or even a hole in a hose.

Had a pin hole in a hose years ago spray fluid all over the v6 engine's exhaust manifold in my Chevy Citation-imagine a James Bond style smoke screen and you'll know what that looked like.

That was the worst car I ever owned-though it was a close battle between it and the replacement for it . . . A Chrysler Laser 2.2 NA 5 speed, post rental car usage lol Now that car had very little going for it except it would get highway mileage that would make a Prius cry by comparison.

don't rule out the cooler leaking check it really well also.

my buddy had a rock kick up and knock a hole in the cooler.

I'm having this issue and the culprit is the Pressure Hose Adapter that fits on the back of the PS Pump. Cannot understand WHY it is leaking but has done the same on 2 different PS Pumps. Next up is to replace the PS Pump Hose Adapter......

BDK

I had the exact same problem. Turns out, it only leaked "under pressure"....meaning that sitting still it did not leak wth the car running or not. Start the car and have someone turn the steering wheel while you look for the leak. Hopefully this will solve your problem.

Back