Installing Rack & Pinion Steering into a 1973 Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to have rack & pinion.

Wouldn't cutting out the front cross member on a vert take away body integrity?

The TCP unit doesn't look beefy enough to replace it.

Any feed back about this will be appreciated as I surly am looking at getting this done.

I'm already sold on getting the TCP coil overs for the rearend.

Bru

I have been researching rack and pinions for our cars and figuring out the be route to go. Leaning toward the Australian company RRS who makes a bolt in rack for about $2,500.

I called Total Control just yesterday. I spoke with a sales rep and asked if they had anything for the 7173 yet or would it be coming soon. All I got was a 'well you can modify the rack for the 70 but we don't sell instructions." That's it! He must not have been told about this kit they are selling, according to the video. I'm still probably going with RRS because its bolt in. No chop cut fab work needed. Check them out if you haven't. I may go with their coil over suspension kit too.

http://rrs-online.com/71-73-mustang.html

Correction the bolt in rack with all the parts you need less the pump and lines is $1,800. Lines and pump if you want or need them brings it to about $2,500

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a C-4 corvette front suspension laying around (gonna use it in my 27 T build this fall) but after some measurement-I think a pair of adapter plates would let it fit in our cars fairly easily. You could eliminate the shock towers and the strut rods and have a superior modern front suspension.

Overall track width is within a half inch of stock. (wider)

Back