South Carolina car friendly

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carguy4sp

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang
I am thinking of retiring next year and we are thinking of rural South Carolina.

I have lived in North Carolina before and I remember that they are not old car friendly but I need to know are they hard asses about old cars in South Carolina.

Also if anyone can help a fellow car guy out be recommending some areas to look for home purchase in the 100K range.

Thanks Rodney from SW Florida

I am thinking of retiring next year and we are thinking of rural South Carolina.

I have lived in North Carolina before and I remember that they are not old car friendly but I need to know are they hard asses about old cars in South Carolina.

Also if anyone can help a fellow car guy out be recommending some areas to look for home purchase in the 100K range.

You can pretty much get anything registered here. no safety inspection, no emmissions tests, and everybody likes old cars.

There are plenty of homes in the 100k range in my area, the Hartsville/McBee/Bethune region. not far from Columbia, charlotte, the beach or the mountains.

North Carolina has no restrictions or laws on old cars. Any car 35 years old or over can run a tag for the year the car was built just keep the real tag in the car. The only requirement for cars coming from out of state is to have the serial VIN# searched to verify it is not stolen which is done by most states. You do not have to be inspected, no stickers, no emissions check nothing. Just get a tag and insurance and you are good to go.

The area I am in has restrictions on leaving them sitting outside without registration or a junk yard.

I have 12 mustangs of various years, 4 1950 fords, 1956 ford, 1957 ford 1971 Maverick so 19 old cars and no issues. Going to thin the herd some getting older and will never finish half of them.

S.C. is too hot for me worked there 25 years and drove 100 miles a day to work so I could live in the mountains, lol. I lived in Orangeburg S.C. for 5 years the arm pit of S.C. for sure one big swamp, sorry but true.

If you are dead set on SC, I would look at the upstate, the only downside is that housing prices are on the rise in that area. Like David said, orangeburg is the armpit of SC. Just like anywhere, pick your neighborhood carefully and you'll be alright.

The heat must be getting to you down there............NC not old car friendly?

Mustang 50th anniversary was here

NPD distibution center (they own me)

2 classic car speedway shows every year

nascar hall of fame

Jeff Gordon lives here-------don't hate :)!

......and the list goes on

Just messing with you:).

I did have to sell an old firebird because of not having "original emissions equipment" but it wasn't old enough to be a classic! And yep, someone from SC bought it since they didn't have emissions testing. No problems for classics though. No inspection except for the visit to the theft bureau at the DMV. They run your vin numbers to make sure the car isn't stolen. Not sure if you even need to do that if the car is already in your name.

DMV Trooper was cool! He had some great stories of cars that were found to be stolen. Said that the bureau was started back in the 20s due to thefts of model T's? Nice getaway car right! Other than that no problems. Takes a couple of months for the theft bureau to get your results in the mail. Scarey couple of months when you just bought the car from someone! Your never know these days.

Just had my first day cutting sheet metal. Will be posting my amateur work today :)!

North Carolina has no restrictions or laws on old cars. Any car 35 years old or over can run a tag for the year the car was built just keep the real tag in the car. The only requirement for cars coming from out of state is to have the serial VIN# searched to verify it is not stolen which is done by most states. You do not have to be inspected, no stickers, no emissions check nothing. Just get a tag and insurance and you are good to go.

The area I am in has restrictions on leaving them sitting outside without registration or a junk yard.

I have 12 mustangs of various years, 4 1950 fords, 1956 ford, 1957 ford 1971 Maverick so 19 old cars and no issues. Going to thin the herd some getting older and will never finish half of them.

S.C. is too hot for me worked there 25 years and drove 100 miles a day to work so I could live in the mountains, lol. I lived in Orangeburg S.C. for 5 years the arm pit of S.C. for sure one big swamp, sorry but true.

Thanks David it has been about 20 years since I lived in Greenville N C so I guess times have changed.

I got my hood done this week thanks to you. I will take some pics this weekend.

I will offer your hood rub in the pay it forward section to see if anyone else wants a wrap instead of paint. Good dollar savings.

Rodney from SW Florida (hot and sticky)

Thanks David it has been about 20 years since I lived in Greenville N C so I guess times have changed.

I got my hood done this week thanks to you. I will take some pics this weekend.

I will offer your hood rub in the pay it forward section to see if anyone else wants a wrap instead of paint. Good dollar savings.

Rodney from SW Florida (hot and sticky)
Would love to see how they applied it without stretching it out of shape.

You can pretty much get anything registered here. no safety inspection, no emmissions tests, and everybody likes old cars.

There are plenty of homes in the 100k range in my area, the Hartsville/McBee/Bethune region. not far from Columbia, charlotte, the beach or the mountains.
Thanks I will start my search in the area you recommend . We are starting to spruce up our house for sale now but we are in no hurry . I have about 15 years of accumulation of stuff to get rid of that I do not want to move. I thank you for the info and if you have any other areas you think would be good to close out please let us know. Looking for a quiet rural area mabe one to two acres.

Rodney from S W Florida

The heat must be getting to you down there............NC not old car friendly?

Mustang 50th anniversary was here

NPD distibution center (they own me)

2 classic car speedway shows every year

nascar hall of fame

Jeff Gordon lives here-------don't hate :)!

......and the list goes on

Just messing with you:).

I did have to sell an old firebird because of not having "original emissions equipment" but it wasn't old enough to be a classic! And yep, someone from SC bought it since they didn't have emissions testing. No problems for classics though. No inspection except for the visit to the theft bureau at the DMV. They run your vin numbers to make sure the car isn't stolen. Not sure if you even need to do that if the car is already in your name.

DMV Trooper was cool! He had some great stories of cars that were found to be stolen. Said that the bureau was started back in the 20s due to thefts of model T's? Nice getaway car right! Other than that no problems. Takes a couple of months for the theft bureau to get your results in the mail. Scarey couple of months when you just bought the car from someone! Your never know these days.

Just had my first day cutting sheet metal. Will be posting my amateur work today :)!
Measure 5 times cut once..........hahaha.

I am one of the few original Charlotteans left actually near Charlotte. I live in Clover sc right next to Lake Wylie. The taxes are low, old car restrictions are almost 0 as long as your tag stays current. Even then I see people riding around with lost tag cardboard signs that are severely weathered so you know they are full of crap!.

There are several car clubs that are pretty good around here. You are close to rockhill, Charlotte and Gastonia so you have access to everything.

Btw my house is for sale! :) we are moving 3 miles down the road to down size. You can see it on craigslist. :)

Wade

Back