To hood tach or not to hood tach

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Howdy folks,

Have any of you ever added a hood tach to a 7173?

Summit offers this: https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sdk-c8az17a326b/overview/

From reading I understood that Ford didn't provide any from 1970 onwards.

My car doesn't have a tach and I would like to keep the dash original (which means no tach and no center guages) so a hood tach sounds like a possibility to me. Or would that be a terrible sin?

Cheers,

Vincent.

in my opinion the hood tach would not look right on a 71-73 but that's my opinion

regards mongos CJ

I've never seen one on a 71-73 and with the hood turn up at the windshield you might not even be able to see the entire gage face. I do think they are cool and have always liked them on certain cars. I had a friend in High School who had on on his Firebird and I thought it was the cats ass cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it would look right on a NASA hood, but I think it might be ok on a flat hood.
I kinda agree but really think the hood tachs look weird on the 71-3's.

NASA/NACA = terrible

flat hood = not as bad but still not preferred.

same applies to shakers for our cars

Ray

I feel column mounted tach would be more useful as well as not requiring drilling hole in the hood. I also feel it would look very out of place on the hood. Just my opinions. Chuck

I know you mentioned keeping the dash original. Have you looked at Rocketman's Tach conversion? He's a member on here and several have done this. I am looking at it down the road at some point.

http://rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-tach-all

scroll about 2/3 down the page and look for part number "M7123S: 1971-1973 Ford Mustang Tachometer for cars without factory tachometer"

takes your idiot light pod and keeps those functional but adds a tach that looks stock.

Howdy folks,

Have any of you ever added a hood tach to a 7173?

Summit offers this: https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sdk-c8az17a326b/overview/

From reading I understood that Ford didn't provide any from 1970 onwards.

My car doesn't have a tach and I would like to keep the dash original (which means no tach and no center guages) so a hood tach sounds like a possibility to me. Or would that be a terrible sin?

Cheers,

Vincent.
No hood tach it would not look right. Add a steering column mounted tach which would be period correct.

Wow, that's a lot of "no" ;-)

I'll look at the alternatives, esp. the column mounted one as I don't want to have to send stuff over to Rocketman (I live outside the USA...).

Thanks for all your responses!

Cheers,

Vincent.

Even for us in Europe the Rocketman is a good deal. You can also buy a complete one from him, pay for the core and send yours back to him after you installed the new one and he'll simply refund you the core.

That way you don't have a waiting period where your car is sitting while your core gets shipped to the US and back.

Back