Windshield removal... Any good how-to advice?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add a 6 pack ( minimum ) to clear the small chunks off glass and tar off the window frame.

Once the outter trim is pulled they make a small wire that glass installers use to remove windshields. You fish it through the black goo from outside to inside then with a gentle back and forth sawing motion make you way around the windshield being very care of the angle of the wire so you don't chip the edges. Once the adhesive is cut all the way around use two people and suction cups to pull the glass straight out. Hope this helps. Might be easier to call a local glass guy and see what he gets to do it. Might be good insurance and he might cut you a deal if you have him put it back in.

Hmm. So from the sound of it there is a good chance the windshield will come out in kit form. I might practice first on my parts car.

Also wonder if the warm weather will make me more likely to succeed or fail.

I want to try removing the goo with dry ice.

Depends on how old the goo is. Hot weather will make it more pliable and easier to cut through with the wire but if too hot and it is somewhat fresh it will reseal to itself. Never heard of dry ice to get it out? How does that work?

Go to Harbor Freight and get the tool to use. It is a handle with a bent 90 deg. blade with a cable hooked to it with a Tee handle to pull on. With the windshield trim off spray around the outside with WD-40 and spray down the blade on the tool. Insert the tool rotate 90 deg. and start to pull slowly. Don't go crunching around the glass you can crack it. You can use the wire also but I like the other tool better. Here is link you can see what I am talking about. You can probably get at auto supply also. They have the cable also.

http://www.harborfreight.com/windshield-removing-tool-60298.html

Do the ends then the top and have someone push out and you might cut the bottom with a knife. I have taken out by myself just go slow and it will come out.

You will need lots of lacquer thinner & razor blades to clean up the window and the frame. Use pieces of wood to scrape both the glass and the metal so you don't break glass or paint. You will be shocked at how it looks at the bottom of the window frame. Might be holes in the upper cowl from water in all the crap stuck under there.

Use the 3-M rope style windshield bed when going back. They make different diameters to set the glass correct and spacers so you don't push in too far, I forget which dia. to use. You will most likely be fixing some rust before going back in with the glass. Corners of the frame rust out. Take some pics and show the group how it looks under there.

:D

Go to Harbor Freight and get the tool to use. It is a handle with a bent 90 deg. blade with a cable hooked to it with a Tee handle to pull on. With the windshield trim off spray around the outside with WD-40 and spray down the blade on the tool. Insert the tool rotate 90 deg. and start to pull slowly. Don't go crunching around the glass you can crack it. You can use the wire also but I like the other tool better. Here is link you can see what I am talking about. You can probably get at auto supply also. They have the cable also.

http://www.harborfreight.com/windshield-removing-tool-60298.html

Do the ends then the top and have someone push out and you might cut the bottom with a knife. I have taken out by myself just go slow and it will come out.

You will need lots of lacquer thinner & razor blades to clean up the window and the frame. Use pieces of wood to scrape both the glass and the metal so you don't break glass or paint. You will be shocked at how it looks at the bottom of the window frame. Might be holes in the upper cowl from water in all the crap stuck under there.

Use the 3-M rope style windshield bed when going back. They make different diameters to set the glass correct and spacers so you don't push in too far, I forget which dia. to use. You will most likely be fixing some rust before going back in with the glass. Corners of the frame rust out. Take some pics and show the group how it looks under there.
+1

I used this tool and it works great. Got the Mustang windows out without cracking them. Tomorrow I am removing the front glass of my RR project however it is cracked so I don't have to be as careful. Here are some other pics I took.

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with our windshields is the lower part that gets attached to the cowl and dash. Those tools don't reach..So your left with ether the wire method OR what the glass guy who cut mine out used which was a sawzall with a flat scraper attachment. https://www.gtglass.com/auto-glass-replacement-tools/auto-glass-blades-and-tools/3x14-sheath-auto-glass-blade

Works like a dream and a little trick is to have a spray bottle with water, spray the blade before you start cutting and repeat every 12 " or as required the water keeps the glue from sticking to the blade.

How to use :

I would suggest you never use a metal tool to pry or lift the glass like he did in the video. One little nick in the glass gives it a stress point to start a crack. Use a wooden dowel or one of the plastic trim removal tools if you need to pry.

Like Q said it is a ways up to the sealer on the bottom edge that will be full of leaves and junk along with a rusty cowl. I used a regular kitchen knife on the bottom from the inside while pushing out on the upper part of the glass. The last one I took out of a 72 Vert had no sealer contact for over a foot on one side of the bottom, for sure a leak.

I used the wire method and removed the windshield in my convertible last fall by myself. I paid $15 for the tool at my local princess Auto (similar to Harbour Freight in the US). My windshield has been in for 30+ years, all of the caulking was dried up from sitting for years in a barn..., just took my time and worked my way around the windshield with the wire cable, it came out pretty easy... this is a doable project for the non-initiated if you are careful.

429cj Convertible in barn.jpg

I also have a windshield removal tool from 30 years ago that looks very much like the one from Harbor Freight and it's used all the time.. One tip to be aware of is that as you pull the blade thru the "goo" do NOT pull upward towards the glass.. Push downward as you pull and the blade will stay free of the glass and you'll avoid breakage..

From one who learned the hard way..

Ok.

Good news!

The cowl is in excellent condition.

image.jpg

Bad news. The windshield is folded in half. I cracked it when inserting the tool under the mastic.

image.jpeg

I think the last windshield install job was a hack job, there was mastic on the trim inside the car, and the top of the glass was pushed so far into the mastic that there was not enough room for the knife between the glass and the frame. I had trouble turning the knife under the glass and when I tried harder I killed the glass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok.

Good news!

The cowl is in excellent condition.

Bad news. The windshield is folded in half. I cracked it when inserting the tool under the mastic.

I think the last windshield install job was a hack job, there was mastic on the trim inside the car, and the top of the glass was pushed so far into the mastic that there was not enough room for the knife between the glass and the frame. I had trouble turning the knife under the glass and when I tried harder I killed the glass.
I don't know... I am not familiar with that tool and I can only speak to how easy it was with the wire attached to two handles tool. Honestly, it was a piece of cake. Sorry to see you lost the windshield, but it is one of the scenarios where you know exactly what you have to do (purchase) moving forward. Cheers.

Last edited:
Back