Windshield removal... Any good how-to advice?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once the outter trim is pulled they make a small wire that glass installers use to remove windshields. You fish it through the black goo from outside to inside then with a gentle back and forth sawing motion make you way around the windshield being very care of the angle of the wire so you don't chip the edges. Once the adhesive is cut all the way around use two people and suction cups to pull the glass straight out. Hope this helps. Might be easier to call a local glass guy and see what he gets to do it. Might be good insurance and he might cut you a deal if you have him put it back in.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Hmm. So from the sound of it there is a good chance the windshield will come out in kit form. I might practice first on my parts car.

Also wonder if the warm weather will make me more likely to succeed or fail.

I want to try removing the goo with dry ice.

Depends on how old the goo is. Hot weather will make it more pliable and easier to cut through with the wire but if too hot and it is somewhat fresh it will reseal to itself. Never heard of dry ice to get it out? How does that work?

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Go to Harbor Freight and get the tool to use. It is a handle with a bent 90 deg. blade with a cable hooked to it with a Tee handle to pull on. With the windshield trim off spray around the outside with WD-40 and spray down the blade on the tool. Insert the tool rotate 90 deg. and start to pull slowly. Don't go crunching around the glass you can crack it. You can use the wire also but I like the other tool better. Here is link you can see what I am talking about. You can probably get at auto supply also. They have the cable also.

http://www.harborfreight.com/windshield-removing-tool-60298.html

Do the ends then the top and have someone push out and you might cut the bottom with a knife. I have taken out by myself just go slow and it will come out.

You will need lots of lacquer thinner & razor blades to clean up the window and the frame. Use pieces of wood to scrape both the glass and the metal so you don't break glass or paint. You will be shocked at how it looks at the bottom of the window frame. Might be holes in the upper cowl from water in all the crap stuck under there.

Use the 3-M rope style windshield bed when going back. They make different diameters to set the glass correct and spacers so you don't push in too far, I forget which dia. to use. You will most likely be fixing some rust before going back in with the glass. Corners of the frame rust out. Take some pics and show the group how it looks under there.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

:D

Go to Harbor Freight and get the tool to use. It is a handle with a bent 90 deg. blade with a cable hooked to it with a Tee handle to pull on. With the windshield trim off spray around the outside with WD-40 and spray down the blade on the tool. Insert the tool rotate 90 deg. and start to pull slowly. Don't go crunching around the glass you can crack it. You can use the wire also but I like the other tool better. Here is link you can see what I am talking about. You can probably get at auto supply also. They have the cable also.

http://www.harborfreight.com/windshield-removing-tool-60298.html

Do the ends then the top and have someone push out and you might cut the bottom with a knife. I have taken out by myself just go slow and it will come out.

You will need lots of lacquer thinner & razor blades to clean up the window and the frame. Use pieces of wood to scrape both the glass and the metal so you don't break glass or paint. You will be shocked at how it looks at the bottom of the window frame. Might be holes in the upper cowl from water in all the crap stuck under there.

Use the 3-M rope style windshield bed when going back. They make different diameters to set the glass correct and spacers so you don't push in too far, I forget which dia. to use. You will most likely be fixing some rust before going back in with the glass. Corners of the frame rust out. Take some pics and show the group how it looks under there.

+1

I used this tool and it works great. Got the Mustang windows out without cracking them. Tomorrow I am removing the front glass of my RR project however it is cracked so I don't have to be as careful. Here are some other pics I took.

IMG_1108.thumb.JPG.0dbdcca88214d43b191712d7901f6dd4.JPG

IMG_1109.thumb.JPG.510bffaa8a7a10e3c38def88a8304d2d.JPG

IMG_1111.thumb.JPG.cf5285b371871594f1f1fee402182701.JPG

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

The problem with our windshields is the lower part that gets attached to the cowl and dash. Those tools don't reach..So your left with ether the wire method OR what the glass guy who cut mine out used which was a sawzall with a flat scraper attachment. https://www.gtglass.com/auto-glass-replacement-tools/auto-glass-blades-and-tools/3x14-sheath-auto-glass-blade

Works like a dream and a little trick is to have a spray bottle with water, spray the blade before you start cutting and repeat every 12 " or as required the water keeps the glue from sticking to the blade.

LOVE OF BEAUTY IS TASTE..THE CREATION OF BEAUTY IS ART

How to use :

I would suggest you never use a metal tool to pry or lift the glass like he did in the video. One little nick in the glass gives it a stress point to start a crack. Use a wooden dowel or one of the plastic trim removal tools if you need to pry.

Like Q said it is a ways up to the sealer on the bottom edge that will be full of leaves and junk along with a rusty cowl. I used a regular kitchen knife on the bottom from the inside while pushing out on the upper part of the glass. The last one I took out of a 72 Vert had no sealer contact for over a foot on one side of the bottom, for sure a leak.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Guest Pastel Blue

I used the wire method and removed the windshield in my convertible last fall by myself. I paid $15 for the tool at my local princess Auto (similar to Harbour Freight in the US). My windshield has been in for 30+ years, all of the caulking was dried up from sitting for years in a barn..., just took my time and worked my way around the windshield with the wire cable, it came out pretty easy... this is a doable project for the non-initiated if you are careful.

1384001735_429cjConvertibleinbarn.jpg.393ecdcc8bb8fb80e27602d549881b6d.jpg

I also have a windshield removal tool from 30 years ago that looks very much like the one from Harbor Freight and it's used all the time.. One tip to be aware of is that as you pull the blade thru the "goo" do NOT pull upward towards the glass.. Push downward as you pull and the blade will stay free of the glass and you'll avoid breakage..

From one who learned the hard way..

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. 

Ok.

Good news!

The cowl is in excellent condition.

image.thumb.jpg.83bbe781ffcaf367fb782a19c63178b2.jpg

Bad news. The windshield is folded in half. I cracked it when inserting the tool under the mastic.

image.jpeg.7568147c0cd17fdb132e22d57454a6a3.jpeg

I think the last windshield install job was a hack job, there was mastic on the trim inside the car, and the top of the glass was pushed so far into the mastic that there was not enough room for the knife between the glass and the frame. I had trouble turning the knife under the glass and when I tried harder I killed the glass.

Guest Pastel Blue

Ok.

Good news!

Bad news. The windshield is folded in half. I cracked it when inserting the tool under the mastic.

I think the last windshield install job was a hack job, there was mastic on the trim inside the car, and the top of the glass was pushed so far into the mastic that there was not enough room for the knife between the glass and the frame. I had trouble turning the knife under the glass and when I tried harder I killed the glass.

I don't know... I am not familiar with that tool and I can only speak to how easy it was with the wire attached to two handles tool. Honestly, it was a piece of cake. Sorry to see you lost the windshield, but it is one of the scenarios where you know exactly what you have to do (purchase) moving forward. Cheers.

Now I feel bad. I am sorry that happened to you. I feel like I jinxed it.

73 conv. 460, D0VE large valve heads, Performer RPM manifold, Voodoo 227/233 cam, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 trans, 3.25 trak-loc.

I was not too confident in it coming out in usable condition anyway.

The other thing about the harbor freight tool is that it seems like it is built for windshields that have a shallower channel. I took the pull cable off the tool and flipped it around to give more clearance so that the cutting blade could go deeper after I cracked the windshield. The pull handle bolt is so close to the blade that it was rubbing on the paint.

Next time I will try the guitar string method, but I think this would have worked if my glass had not been pushed so far into the mastic.

image.jpeg.8161aa11fa5836b0e45ce0da46638509.jpeg

That sucks sorry you lost the windshield. Never had that issue. Just have to keep all metal away from the glass. That is why I said don't use screw drive or metal objects to pry on the glass like in the video.

It is great you don't have rust on top of the cowl. The last parts car I purchased was just to get the windshield for date code and some of the other options it had.

The sealer melts over time and gets on the A post trim and on Verts the stainless. Lots of cleaning for sure.

David

• 2 years later...

Ok.

Good news!

Bad news.  The windshield is folded in half.  I cracked it when inserting the tool under the mastic.

I think the last windshield install job was a hack job, there was mastic on the trim inside the car, and the top of the glass was pushed so far into the mastic that there was not enough room for the knife between the glass and the frame.  I had trouble turning the knife under the glass and when I tried harder I killed the glass.

Same thing happened to me.  I purchased a nice professional quality tool from amazon and carefully worked my way around the sides and top,  the rope cut hard.  Just when I thought I was finished the windshield cracked as I was trying to wiggle the blade back to the side to remove it.  If I had a do over I would try the cable/wire.  I tried my best to keep the blade from contacting the glass (trying to angle the blade towards frame the whole time)  but it seems the glue was so firm and cut so hard that no matter how hard I tried I kept hearing the little scrunching noise of the glass as I was moving along...at least it wasn't a carlite...

You for sure have to go easy when using the metal L shaped tool to cut the mastic. It will not work along the bottom the glue is too far up to reach it. That is where I go inside and use a long kitchen knife to cut it loose just pushing it in and pulling out. I spray WD-40 on both the frame and the tools I am using.

You cannot pry on the glass at all with something metal no matter how big or small. The plastic trim removal tools work for prying on the glass some. Glass, especially tempered glass, will not take a chip on the edge.

You can also use a razor knife from the inside to cut the mastic. Any of the ways work best if it is cold so the mastic will not heal back together.

David

Sorry to hear that you could not save your windshield.

I wanted to reuse the original Carlite windshield in my vert.  The bottom of the windshield is hard to reach when you are removing it by yourself. I used thin braided wire and made loops on both ends and looped one end securely around the driver's side wiper arm post to anchor the one end of the wire and then I pulled the other end thru the seal at the passenger side and worked the wire across the bottom of the windshield back to the driver's side. I had a problem with the black 3M rope seal re-sticking itself together again after cutting thru it. So I kept slipping thin pieces of cardboard and old credit card like plastic pieces between the glass and the windshield frame as I cut around to prevent it from sticking back together again.  The glass lifted out easily without any pulling or prying.

On verts the top edge is easy with the roof down. I suspect it's not as easy on hardtops, but if you are doing it alone using the wiper arm post should work on the top edge as well.

20140906-181506.jpg

20140906-181527.jpg

1973 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

satellite.png Proud Space Junk Award Winner!

The sealer melts over time and gets on the A post trim and on Verts the stainless. Lots of cleaning for sure.

It took me 5 days to remove the black goo from both A-post trim and top trim using laquer thinners and around 15 rolls of kitchen towels. It was over half a inch thick in places. I am dreading taking the windshield out although there are a lot of scratches in the glass so if they are too deep it wont matter how many pieces it comes out in.

Steve

1971 Grande