Windshield removal... Any good how-to advice?

it seems like once you get the windshield out, you could use a heat gun to make that goo more flexible so it would be easier to remove. Just my thoughts, never tried it, might not work at all. lol

"I drank what?" - Socrates

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it seems like once you get the windshield out, you could use a heat gun to make that goo more flexible so it would be easier to remove.  Just my thoughts, never tried it, might not work at all. lol

You read my thoughts. I was wondering if the heat gun would crack the glass. I am tempted to soften the goo with a heat gun for a easier removal

Steve

1971 Grande

Hey a little gasoline and a match will get all the goo and the paint off, lol.

I do not remember taking that long on my car. I did scrape a lot off before going to lacquer thinner and stiff brush.

The adhesive gets on all models. When I did my Mach 1 the covers were clued in place also.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

All the tips here are good ones..

I did glass work for years.. so I'll add one more..

Below is the homemade tool many of us use to cut out glass parts and be able to save them.

Just a piece of 1/2" conduit cut down to a couple feet long. Then a loose utility knife blade fitted to the flattened end.

That flat profile let's you cut from the inside without damaging any trim. .. the long handle gives good leverage and a good purchase on the tool. Using soapy water in a spray bottle to live the sealant and keep the butyl from sticking together.

The plus is you can push out and cut the bottom of the window seal area.

I've done hundreds of windshield cut outs with this tool..and you can make one in a few minutes for near no $$

20190613-141813.jpg

20190613-142035.jpg

20190613-142234.jpg

20190613-142202.jpg

20190613-142156.jpg

20190613-142323.jpg

20190613-142117.jpg

20190613-142052.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I need to pull the windshield, the glass is good and I would like to save it as possible.

Anybody have a good tutorial?

Sorry you broke it. I found that if you follow the below steps it will help increase your odds of getting it out in one piece.   Remove out side trim and try to get a much adhesive away from the side of the windshield being careful not to nick the glass.  Remove the inside trim and using a slim flat windshield removal tool or putty knife or similar thin piece of steel start working it between the windshield and frame.  Take your time and work around the  entire window.  You will stand a better chance of not cracking the glass if you stay away from the edges.   Wet a paper towel or rag in Mineral Spirits and let it lay on the adhesive for about 5 minutes and then use a putty knife to scrap away. Repeat the process until all is removed. Good luck.

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"