Looking for hard to find parts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene K.

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
I have a 1972 Mach 1 with a fold down rear seat. I am looking for a source for quarter trim panels in both the rear seat area and the fold down area. MustangsUnlimited.com has rear seat quarter panels, but they don't have a cutout for the rear seat belt. Is there a better product available somewhere? I have not been able to find any source for the rear fold down quarter panels. Any suggestions?

A few other things I am having trouble finding:

Urethane front bumper (perhaps impossible to find)

Grill center support bracket (single center bracket version)

Rear seat foam kit

Front seat base (lower frame and seat spring assembly)

Thanks,

Gene K.

Hey Gene, how are you??...

You know... there is a good chance that if you have a little patient you can find all those things between this forum an eBay...

Not that long ago, a member here was selling an urethane front bumper in good condition and cheap... I don´t know is somebody remember who he was or maybe you can search threads somehow...

The trims for the quarter panels and the seats... (maybe is easyer for you just to buy one front seat and the rear fold down seat for the rear than waiting for someone to part the seats down) For that you can try to talk with any of our suppliers here, maybe they have or know where to get them.. Also in ebay, those are common parts that comes on sale all the time.

Then... A friend here is parting out a 73 mach 1... dont really know the differences with our 72 but this is an actual thread so, you can find it easy... The guy is Ray..

Hope it helps!

Rear seat foam kit

Thanks,

Gene K.

Try the usual suspects first, Ebay, Don at Ohiomustang, 71steed on VMF (coram Corral on ebay) Hemikiller on here or VMF and see if they have anything.

The reproduction rear interior quarter panels are garbage i bought a set they would only be good if your desperate or have a track car and needed a very light interior. those panels need to be cut out for everything. you need to cut out holes for the belts and the ashtray.

you have a late 72 car because you have retractable rear belts similar to the 73 cars. so you would focus on 1973 cars to get the correct rear panels.

73s are more numerous, 72 is the rarest year of mustang.

Original quarter panels that are unmolested and not disintegrating are rare and will cost you over 400$ in today's market. It took me 2 years to find a pair in good shape from Don at Ohiomustang.

--------------

Urethane front bumper: another rare part to find in good usable condition.

these pop up on Ebay from time to time, they go from 200-1000$ depending on condition took me 3 years to find one in excellent shape. the Urethane bumper was only put on some models from 71-72, in 73 the bumper was completely changed. so you have less then 200,000 vehicles that may have one, and 40 years of them disappearing from existence.

Its not impossible to find one but will cost you lots of money. i ran a chrome front bumper for about a year before i replaced it with a urethane one.

rarer then the urethane front bumper is the Crash bar Re-enforcement plate that the bumper mounts on to, this part is usually rusted away I found a NOS plate for about 200$ on e-bay. also took me 3 years to find. the chrome and urethane bumpers on the 71-72 is the same, you can easily swap in either bumper onto your car.

-----

Grill center support, hood latch support, single center version, should be easy to find, common to late 71,all 72, and i think 73 also not 100% sure.

its 2 pieces, the main part that holds the hood latch is attached to the radiator support, and there is a smaller adjustable plate with 2 bolts that attaches to the grill. I think i got one from Coram Corral (71steed)

----

rear seat foam(aftermarket) this does not exist.

you either have to salvage your original seat foam or make your own. I recommend going to a fabric store or a furniture store , use your original foam as a guide.

i ended up throwing my foam in the washer on low once all the dirt and garbage washed out of the foam i left it to dry on a rack, and it puffed back up. all the other original parts to the seat, like the re-enforced burlap and musklin fabric under covers must be fabricated yourself. the front seats are easier to rebuild with the aftermarket, because most rear seats are in good shape and were never used.

--------------

front seat base, should be easy to find they always need to be repaired they are usually cracked with broken springs.

i Brazed my seat base back together and used Sofa U springs from a furniture store that matched the original ford springs, i then replaced the broken originals with new and re-assembled.

----

None of the things you want are impossible to find but will take time and patients and money.

rarer then the urethane front bumper is the Crash bar Re-enforcement plate that the bumper mounts on to, this part is usually rusted away I found a NOS plate for about 200$ on e-bay. also took me 3 years to find. the chrome and urethane bumpers on the 71-72 is the same, you can easily swap in either bumper onto your car.
Hey Danny how are you!??

You know... i cant tell which is this part exactely... Can you look for a picture and post it here? I may have a spare one on this...

I have a 1972 Mach 1 with a fold down rear seat. I am looking for a source for quarter trim panels in both the rear seat area and the fold down area. MustangsUnlimited.com has rear seat quarter panels, but they don't have a cutout for the rear seat belt. Is there a better product available somewhere? I have not been able to find any source for the rear fold down quarter panels. Any suggestions?

Rear seat foam kit

Thanks,

Gene K.
Gene,

Those are tough to find. The bumpers are extremely hard to find. The best way to go is to get a chrome unit and use it until you find the urethane.

I do have a set of 71 buckets that need a new home. I would be willing to separate the bottoms from the backs - shoot me a PM if you're interested and we can talk.

Hey Danny how are you!??

You know... i cant tell which is this part exactely... Can you look for a picture and post it here? I may have a spare one on this...

platea.jpg

plateb.jpg

its basically the large flat part that the license plate and the side frame rail pieces attach to.

also after looking on ebay there is a bumper on there going for 1800$

also there is currently a grab bag of interior panels for 73 that you might be able to pick and choose through.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=73+mustang+interior+fastback&_sacat=0&_odkw=73+mustang+interior&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

you will never find a mint set, believe me.

Last edited by a moderator:
check the part numbers D1Z (71) D2Z (72) D3Z (73).

if the quarter panels have no seat belt cutouts 71- early 72, if they have the cutouts, 72-73.

Hey Danny how are you!??

platea.jpg

plateb.jpg

its basically the large flat part that the license plate and the side frame rail pieces attach to.

also after looking on ebay there is a bumper on there going for 1800$

also there is currently a grab bag of interior panels for 73 that you might be able to pick and choose through.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=73+mustang+interior+fastback&_sacat=0&_odkw=73+mustang+interior&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

you will never find a mint set, believe me.
Yes then, i have a spare of that... Everything you´re showing in the pic but the licence plate mounting....

The rest, i have it and in good shape...

If anyone needs it and is willing to pay for the shipping from here to wherever is needed, i´m all ears!! :p

BTW... this bumper mounting is different than the one for chrome bumpers?

Didn't Tim (ponypastor) have a urethane bumper for sale?
I dont remember who was the seller but i remember it was a yellow bumper in restorable shape...

I´m gonna try to track the thread down to see if it is still here somewhere and Gene can contact the seller.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-front-rubber-bumper?page=2&highlight=urethane+bumper

Here it is.. Motorcity Mustang had it for sale... try to contact him Gene ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
the reinforcement plate above is the same for 71,72 chrome or urethrae front bumpers.

My thanks to all for the suggestions and leads on parts.

- The quarter panels on eBay look promising and a grille support ( just the adjustable piece between the hood latch and grille) should turn up too.

- I will keep looking for a front bumper that is in restorable condition.

- My rear seat foam may be salvagable so I will wash it and see how it comes out.

- I will rebuild the front seat bases. (I had to braze the frame on my previous Mach 1 too.) I thought someone may have come out with a good reproduction unit that would save me the work.

Rear seat foam kit

Thanks,

Gene K.

Try the usual suspects first, Ebay, Don at Ohiomustang, 71steed on VMF (coram Corral on ebay) Hemikiller on here or VMF and see if they have anything.

The reproduction rear interior quarter panels are garbage i bought a set they would only be good if your desperate or have a track car and needed a very light interior. those panels need to be cut out for everything. you need to cut out holes for the belts and the ashtray.

you have a late 72 car because you have retractable rear belts similar to the 73 cars. so you would focus on 1973 cars to get the correct rear panels.

73s are more numerous, 72 is the rarest year of mustang.

Original quarter panels that are unmolested and not disintegrating are rare and will cost you over 400$ in today's market. It took me 2 years to find a pair in good shape from Don at Ohiomustang.

--------------

Urethane front bumper: another rare part to find in good usable condition.

these pop up on Ebay from time to time, they go from 200-1000$ depending on condition took me 3 years to find one in excellent shape. the Urethane bumper was only put on some models from 71-72, in 73 the bumper was completely changed. so you have less then 200,000 vehicles that may have one, and 40 years of them disappearing from existence.

Its not impossible to find one but will cost you lots of money. i ran a chrome front bumper for about a year before i replaced it with a urethane one.

-----

Grill center support, hood latch support, single center version, should be easy to find, common to late 71,all 72, and i think 73 also not 100% sure.

its 2 pieces, the main part that holds the hood latch is attached to the radiator support, and there is a smaller adjustable plate with 2 bolts that attaches to the grill. I think i got one from Coram Corral (71steed)

----

rear seat foam(aftermarket) this does not exist.

you either have to salvage your original seat foam or make your own. I recommend going to a fabric store or a furniture store , use your original foam as a guide.

i ended up throwing my foam in the washer on low once all the dirt and garbage washed out of the foam i left it to dry on a rack, and it puffed back up. all the other original parts to the seat, like the re-enforced burlap and musklin fabric under covers must be fabricated yourself. the front seats are easier to rebuild with the aftermarket, because most rear seats are in good shape and were never used.

--------------

front seat base, should be easy to find they always need to be repaired they are usually cracked with broken springs.

i Brazed my seat base back together and used Sofa U springs from a furniture store that matched the original ford springs, i then replaced the broken originals with new and re-assembled.

----

None of the things you want are impossible to find but will take time and patients and money.

there are very few reproduction parts outside of scott drake that are worth getting, as far at the interior is concerned.

the reproduction parts for the deluxe doors are very good, but require tons of work to get ready for install.

seat covers are hit or miss, you still need to save your original seat badges if you still have them.

the reproduction plastic dashboard parts and the center console reproduction parts are very good as well.

the dash pad is hit or miss.

the reproduction trap door parts are garbage as well as the reproduction quarter panels

When you look for a new bumper, don't just look at the condition of the rubber you can actaully fix the rubber, the problem is the the internal metal structure of the rubber bumpers, the rubber would crack and separate from the internal metal, water would sit inside the rubber like a sponge and completely rot away the inside.

A few years ago there was a company that would refurbish the urethane bumpers they did it for ford, and mopars, etc, anything from the early 70s and late 60s that used rubber front end parts. I sent them my original bumper and they told me because the inside was rusted away they could not fix it. they would not exchange it as a good core and refused me a sale. so i had to hit ebay and find one.

there are very few reproduction parts outside of scott drake that are worth getting, as far at the interior is concerned.

the reproduction parts for the deluxe doors are very good, but require tons of work to get ready for install.

seat covers are hit or miss, you still need to save your original seat badges if you still have them.

the reproduction plastic dashboard parts and the center console reproduction parts are very good as well.

the dash pad is hit or miss.

the reproduction trap door parts are garbage as well as the reproduction quarter panels

When you look for a new bumper, don't just look at the condition of the rubber you can actaully fix the rubber, the problem is the the internal metal structure of the rubber bumpers, the rubber would crack and separate from the internal metal, water would sit inside the rubber like a sponge and completely rot away the inside.

A few years ago there was a company that would refurbish the urethane bumpers they did it for ford, and mopars, etc, anything from the early 70s and late 60s that used rubber front end parts. I sent them my original bumper and they told me because the inside was rusted away they could not fix it. they would not exchange it as a good core and refused me a sale. so i had to hit ebay and find one.
:goodpost: x 100 on the panels, they suck

Dan just so you know...

" there are very few reproduction parts outside of scott drake that are worth getting, as far at the interior is concerned "

They do put there name on them but I cannot think of any 71-3 interior parts they make for 71-3's ???

Looking for a major part!!! we need the transmission crossmember for a 1973 Mach 1 with the 351 Cleveland 4v and C6 tranny....does anyone know where I can get one????? THANK YOU!!!

Back